Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Could Shaq (Phoenix version) have led a team to the Finals?

Back in 09, when Shaq had that one last hurrah season, making the All-Star game at the tender age of 36, what team could have most used the big fella? I know Shaq owes much of that bounce back season to the training staff in PHX but lets say he could have stayed healthy.

And Im not just talking about him winning with whoever won the title that year, I mean him winning while playing a very significant role. Be it the 1-3rd best player or something.

Just wondering if what Duncan is doing (arguably leading a contender at 37) could be duplicated for this bigman.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    I don't think so but two most likely teams Shaq ended up on after that season Celtics and Cavs

Celtics potentially beat the lakers and Magic since Shaq would be alot tougher on Howard and Bynum. Shaq would probably not have been considered a top 3 player on the team even if he was one of the 3 most important pieces.

Cavs are a similar story but I still think they lose to the Lakers in the Finals. Shaq would have been the definite #2 though and it would have been a good series.

Dallas is the final team that I think really benefits from Shaq and becomes favorites to win but again would be debatable if he would be considered a top 3 player on the team.

vCash
    yeah, first team that came to mind is the Celtics for sure.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    lead a team? no....but he could have been a great complimentary player ,as a number 3 i think he would have vaulted any contender to a finals trip

vCash
    I gotta go with 'no'.

vCash
    Just gonna throw out a random one...

I think hee would have been pretty helpful on the Blazers team that year. Very similar to what they are now with Lopez, and add on a prime B-Roy. Having Pryzbilla and Shaq would have been great not sure how well it would have played out though. Could have taken that two seed that my Nuggets got that season and had the easy way into the WCF like we did.

vCash
    Good question. He was really good that year. A team would have needed some semblance of talent for sure though. I would need to know team rosters but I do believe he could have helped a team win in the right system.

vCash
    I will say nah.

vCash
    so insightful.

vCash
    Given how weak the league is at center, I think there are a number of teams he could have helped out a lot. Any of the 50-win teams would have been able to win it all with him at that level, though it is hard to read chemistry.

Would the Cavs have pulled it off? They had Shaq the following year and it didn't help much. Denver? Will Billups in control of the ball, I think they would have devastated the west, but the Lakers would have still been a huge problem, and having coached Shaq for so long, Phil Jackson would have known where his Achilles heel was.

The Bulls might have been able to win the East with him that year.

vCash

You seem to be a pretty smart guy FC, but my god, your thread making ability is terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    jordan is 2nd or 3rd when talking career but both magic and lebron are better all around players.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    I think there are a couple of teams that Shaq could have lifted to a title. Denver and Portland, as others have mentioned, and if the Pistons had kept Billups and added Shaq instead, I think they could have taken the east that year.

Interesting scenario. That Phoenix training staff works miracles.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    PISTONS could have definitely used him pre IVERSON media bench fiasco

they were sitting at 4th seed before the media bs and just needed a big lug to clog the paint since they had DICE/SHEED who could stretch the paint for SHAQ to operate who 18 and 9 was still valuable, he was pushing 40 yrs old pretty much so he was still unreal just too heavy and beat up after 17yrs or so but would have been perfect vet big and would have helped that C's squad out, and few others

vCash
    The Utah Jazz may have been a title contender with Shaq that year.
    Striving for a kinder, gentler PhillyFaninLA

vCash

Quite a few teams could have used him

Grizz: Titans: UK BBall: APSU BBall:
    - MJ-BULLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast