Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Winning Prestige of Tim Duncan

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/...een-since-1946

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I found this to be very interesting. I know this doesn't tell the complete story of their success, but Tim Duncan has helped create an astounding winning culture for the Spurs. While Pop + cast are also fairly responsible for this statistic, it wouldn't be possible without Timmy. It will be a sad day when he calls it a career. Will we ever see this again? To put it in perspective, LeBron James has contributed to 7 50+ seasons, and Dirk has 11 with the limelight of his career behind him.

vCash
    Duncan's a beast, but I have to give a lot of credit to pop and the FO for keeping them healthy.
    Kehinde Babatunde Victor Oladipo

vCash
    Holy ****. GOAT.

vCash
    To Spurs fans, before Tim Duncan, where did you feel the franchise was headed? You were probably expecting a lesser draft pick. Who were you hoping to draft if you didn't get a crack at Duncan? Did you feel you were close to being a contender without him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I found this to be very interesting. I know this doesn't tell the complete story of their success, but Tim Duncan has helped create an astounding winning culture for the Spurs. While Pop + cast are also fairly responsible for this statistic, it wouldn't be possible without Timmy. It will be a sad day when he calls it a career. Will we ever see this again? To put it in perspective, LeBron James has contributed to 7 50+ seasons, and Dirk has 11 with the limelight of his career behind him.
    the credit goes to the system and that system is all pops.

if kg was drafted to the spurs and duncan was drafted to the twolves, we would be sitting here talking about the winning prestige of kevin garnet.

vCash
    were talking about a system that has 8-9 rotational players every year and still the spurs are contenders every year. guys the spurs are all about the system, not any one individual player.

vCash

The Winning Prestige of Tim Duncan

No disrespect to Duncan, prob the greatest pf of all time, but it's the system

Grizz: Titans: UK BBall: APSU BBall:
    - MJ-BULLS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrfadeawayJB View Post
    +1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrfadeawayJB View Post
    It isn’t just the system…maybe for the reg season ok but remember the Richard Jefferson, DeJuan Blair, Antonio McDyess, Keith Bogans, Roger Mason jr years between 09-11 they didn’t make it past the second round any of those years…players executing the system matters just as much…Compare Boris Diaw, Patty Mills, Danny Green, Tiago, Kawhi and Belinelli to the 09-11 supporting cast….huge difference in skill…supporting cast execution is highly important for a consistent career like Duncan’s
    Last edited by All-In; 04-02-2014 at 07:03 PM.

vCash
    Duncan has probably the best demeanor out of any player in the NBA. He doesn't care about the max money, doesn't care about the big market, doesn't care about the fame, he just wants to win. Ever player on that team respsects the **** out of Duncan and he is an extension of Popovich on the floor. It's the key to the Spurs, because no one has the credentials to argue with those 2, if you ******** on that team you're gone. If every team's best player was on the same page as their coach like Pop and Dunc, the league would be so toight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    the credit goes to the system and that system is all pops.

if kg was drafted to the spurs and duncan was drafted to the twolves, we would be sitting here talking about the winning prestige of kevin garnet.
    While maybe true in recent years, during his prime the system was a lot of "4 down" which essentially is getting Duncan the ball in the post and letting him go to work, getting doubled and hitting the 3 point shooters, etc... Duncan's back-to-basket game was superiors to KG.

No disrespect to KG, but Duncan's personality and the way he carries himself and allowing Pop to actually coach him is often overlooked. Its easy to say KG would have had as much success or more but there's more to Duncan's success than just the numbers. His relationship with Pop is a big factor. Not to mention the kind of locker room guy and leader he is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    While maybe true in recent years, during his prime the system was a lot of "4 down" which essentially is getting Duncan the ball in the post and letting him go to work, getting doubled and hitting the 3 point shooters, etc... Duncan's back-to-basket game was superiors to KG.

No disrespect to KG, but Duncan's personality and the way he carries himself and allowing Pop to actually coach him is often overlooked. Its easy to say KG would have had as much success or more but there's more to Duncan's success than just the numbers. His relationship with Pop is a big factor. Not to mention the kind of locker room guy and leader he is.
    If you ask me who I think is better between kg and duncan I will honestly say duncan. But this isnt a duncan vs garnet discussion. My point, simply was that if you took duncan off that team and replaced him with KG the spurs would still at least have multiple championships.

simply put, while duncan is among the best big men ever to play the game, he was fortunate that his talent wasnt wasted on a team like the twolves, raptors, who have been historically bad compared to a team that has a great system in place like the spurs.

Being mentored by david robinson, playing in pops system, being surrounded by the likes of parker, and notoriously unselfish ginobli taking a 6th man role all these years etc... many, many factors played a role in having a favorable situation with the spurs. Its not just on duncan.. 4 championships were won trully as a team and I give alot of that credit to pops and the system he put in place for these players to thrive in.

its the system.

would duncan look as good if he was drafted by the bucks ? personal stat wise, yes! but championship pedigree wise, hell no!
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 04-02-2014 at 07:34 PM.

vCash
    not to take any credit away from duncan. I still consider him the best pf of all time. But the spurs are the true definitio of a "team" and if you want to give credit to one particular person I think the pecking order starts with pops who created that atmosphere.

Also I think pops is the greatest coach of all time along with red Auerbach and then we can talk about phil and pat.

vCash
    It's funny how differently people view the careers of dominant bigs like Duncan and Olajuwon versus the lesser careers of dominant wings. If you're a wing, you're clutch, a go-to guy, a winner, a competitor, etc. If you're a big, you play in a great system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Well of course DUNCAN is one of the best to ever do it at his position and his 2 way game make him one of the best ever all positions but let me rile up a few feathers since all I hear on This forum is weak era this and weak era that

DUNCAN won in 99' at the dawn of the 'weak' era, all I heard when AI/KIDD went to finals how weak the east was and the west was the real finals so it was a cake walk since them lakers/kings were right there also in west during that weak era, if the east is weak then the league is weak as a whole and vice versa no matter the era/time

now they are playing in what BARKLEY and many others have viewed as weakest era ever or in a long while so its even more amazingly easy for the SPURS to do what they did since 99' weak era began, its amazing no doubt but its still the same for them winning/coaching wise but you just trade lakers/kings for thunder/clipps/rockets now In todays 'weaker' version and you cant replace HOF'er in TD, but you can replace the others with LEONARD/GREEN and still hang on to whats left of MANU/PARKER since they did come up big time since teaming up with TD

go SPURS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast