Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

ESPN: Torts likely out, unsure about Gillis

Tortorella could be out
    Even though he still has four years and $8 million left on his deal, I think it is more than likely that John Tortorella will be fired as head coach after the season in Vancouver.

I like Torts, but he was never the right fit for that team.

The Canucks built a blue-line corps meant for a quick transition game, but the club has played more of a chip and chase, shot-blocking game this season. As one NHL scout told ESPN.com, "The wrong system for that set of players."

The real question in Vancouver is whether thatís going to be enough change. I suspect ownership continues to debate internally whether or not to fire GM Mike Gillis and thatís really going to be the biggest decision of all.

Personally, I would allow Gillis at least one more year to redirect the ship. I think heís earned that.

Gillis, by the way, also has four more years on his contract.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...making-changes
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    16 Million owed to the two of them. 8M each.

This will not be a hockey decision.

I'm with the TSN panel who said during the game last night that Gillis is the one that should be dumped. He has had more than enough chances. It's getting absurd and all Aquilini is going to do is drive away fans with this awful management team.

So, he has to weigh his losses. Will he lose more by losing gate receipts or by having to swallow 8-16 million dollars in ridiculous contracts.
    Last edited by ink; 04-02-2014 at 12:40 PM.

vCash
    I read similar things all over in the last week. I usually support my head coaches but I felt like Torts was like Billy Martin. He could get a team to run through a wall for a limited time but inevitably they would tune him out. I also hated our breakout system (or lack of one). It was so boring to watch our games because all we did was bang the puck up the sideboards for what seemed like 75% of our games. We would work so hard to get the puck and then just give it away. I also disliked our 6 man goalie system. I was surprised your team gave him a 5 year deal when nobody else wanted him. I could see taking a chance on him but why not a 3 year deal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    I read similar things all over in the last week. I usually support my head coaches but I felt like Torts was like Billy Martin. He could get a team to run through a wall for a limited time but inevitably they would tune him out. I also hated our breakout system (or lack of one). It was so boring to watch our games because all we did was bang the puck up the sideboards for what seemed like 75% of our games. We would work so hard to get the puck and then just give it away. I also disliked our 6 man goalie system. I was surprised your team gave him a 5 year deal when nobody else wanted him. I could see taking a chance on him but why not a 3 year deal?
    We have ridiculous management who fall in love with their bad ideas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    We have ridiculous management who fall in love with their bad ideas.
    This might be my favorite post ever. Seriously.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    This might be my favorite post ever. Seriously.
    Thanks SF. I mean it. They have to learn to "kill their babies" which is another way of saying that if your idea sucks you need to be smart enough to recover from your mistake before you start compounding it.