Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is it time to ban SNY and going to the Games

I 'm starting to believe this. Never thought of not going to games or watching them on TV but this ownership and their refusal to bring in players ( like a SS ) or a true number 4 hitter and sending down pitchers who are ready and could help us, because they can save money on them in the future is just wrong to us as fan. I could understand if the Mets were a small market team but they are not. I do like the fact of building a farm system. Look what the Yankees did with Jeter, Mariano, Posada, and Williams, Tampa is another were it shows what a good farm can do but they don't have the big market money to add to their young talent. It's why they don't move further on, just not enough talent to get over the hill. The Mets don't have that excuse!! I don't blame Sandy his hands are probably tied ,maybe ,maybe not but I think it time to ban the ballpark, the team and their Tv station. Am I wrong with this type of thinking? Like I said I never believe in doing this before but I can't stand the Mets ownership treating their fans like this, to this quality of baseball, not in this market

vCash
    Not spending money at the games isn't going to fix the Mets problems. It's exactly the opposite. Payroll is based on revenue. Revenue in part comes from ticket sales, merchandising, and tertiary ballpark money (food, alcohol, parking, etc).

None of us know what their budget ceiling is though. I have to think some of their conservatism is on the FO too waiting for guys like Syndergaard, Montero, Puello, and Harvey being in uniform for a full season next year, not just the Wilpons and their financial circumstances in relation to the team.

I hate to tell you man but the fact is the Wilpons aren't going anywhere. This is a roundabout discussion we've had at least 500 times since I joined this forum. I understand venting helps but us *****ing about it on a forum is not going to get Bud Selig to relinquish ownership of the Mets from Fred and Jeff.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-01-2014 at 10:06 PM.

vCash
    Yes, I won't spend a dime on this team until these clowns start trying to put a competitive team on the field. The fan base needs to send a message to the coupons.

vCash
    I hereby ban SNY and going to games.

It is done.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69:28250483
    Not spending money at the games isn't going to fix the Mets problems. It's exactly the opposite. Payroll is based on revenue. Revenue in part comes from ticket sales, merchandising, and tertiary ballpark money (food, alcohol, parking, etc).

None of us know what their budget ceiling is though. I have to think some of their conservatism is on the FO too waiting for guys like Syndergaard, Montero, Puello, and Harvey being in uniform for a full season next year, not just the Wilpons and their financial circumstances in relation to the team.

I hate to tell you man but the fact is the Wilpons aren't going anywhere. This is a roundabout discussion we've had at least 500 times since I joined this forum. I understand venting helps but us *****ing about it on a forum is not going to get Bud Selig to relinquish ownership of the Mets from Fred and Jeff.
    Its the Wilpons job to sell their product to us. Its not our job to supply them with revenue so that they might build a better product.

As of now theyve given us no reason to buy.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Is hard for me to boycott because I love going to games and drinking a beer with the fan or friends and even whoever is sitting around you who wants to talk baseball. That's why even in bad years I go to at least 10 games, yes in years when they are great I probably go to at least 20 games though.

And I just can't stop watching them on tv.

vCash
    Taking my 10 year-old tomorrow night. Great seats at a reasonable price. His chances of getting a pre-game autograph from Wright or Harper or others is much higher now that they are no longer a draw. Casual fans and die-hards are already going and watching less. Their attendance and ratings numbers are abysmal and dropping. I only go to a handful of games a year, plus a few minor league games up in Dutchess County. I'm not pleased with the product on the field . I can respect your idea but I love baseball and feel that boycotting the team I've followed for 47 or my 53 years just because I don't agree with management's approach would only spite me.

vCash
    Boycotting is just depriving yourself of baseball. Losing baseball > no baseball at all by far

I hardly go to games though. I may see 1-2 games a year so I don't really spend much on the team.

vCash
    I'm already going to a game (April 6th). So yeah, I'm a huge hypocrite. I can't stay away. But I feel guilty about it to some extent, because I realize that every dollar they make off this product comes across as a measure of approval and the last thing I want them to believe is that we approve of the way they've been handling things.

I agree with FoC though, Mets fans should not be on the hook for having to increase their revenue. Most of us here have showed great loyalty. What loyalty have the Wilpons ever shown us?
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Its the Wilpons job to sell their product to us.

As of now theyve given us no reason to buy.
    Yes but they're not going to shell out their own money that doesn't come from revenue in relation to the team. No owners do that. Not one single owner in any sport. I don't love the Wilpons by any means but it's wrong to single them out and say "Hey why don't you rob from Peter to pay Paul" (metaphorically speaking in regards to their other unrelated businesses to help keep the Mets solvent). The team has lost a 150 million dollars in the last 4 years cumulatively and are basically using SNY money as an asset to hedge their annual losses.

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...ancial-ledger/

The source adds another $70 million to the team's overall liabilities to cover this year's losses. The Mets lost $50 million in 2010 and are projected to lose $60 million this season. But they've already seen an 11% decline in attendance this year, which makes it likely that the team will lose closer to $70 million. Part of the franchise's annual obligations is an annual $50 million municipal bond payment for financing Citi Field -- these payments come from Queens Ballpark Company, a "wholly owned subsidiary of the New York Mets," according to the Sterling Equities website.
    That snippet doesn't include the over 30 million dollars they lost in 2012 and 2013 as well.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/30/mets-ow...ce-250m-loans/

The Mets are expected to lose more than $10 million this year, sources said, after a $23 million loss in 2012 and the $70 million lost in 2011.
    I read an interesting article on the NY Times website the other day and Magoo and Ace would speak to this a million times better than I ever could but here it is (although I don't agree with the guys assessment on player personnel upgrades)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/28/sp...osed.html?_r=0

Basically the Mets are looking to incrementally increase payroll, be prudent with their money going forward, and bank on their pitching to be the reason why people come back to the ballpark in subsequent seasons. Their debt issues seem to be less prevalent than year's previous but money is still an issue in terms of greatly expanding payroll.

Its not our job to supply them with revenue so that they might build a better product.
    Might? As cynical as we've been about Fred and Jeff when they had the money to run the team like a big market franchise, they did (as evidence from their payrolls from 2001-2010).

The Wilpons would spend more and Alderson would have more financial flexibility if more people showed up to the ballpark. It's the chicken and the egg argument and it's finances 101 when it comes to sports. Teams spend in symmetry to what they earn.

But you already knew that.

I get that it feels like you are rewarding someone you don't like but remember those same people own a team you, I, and others love.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-01-2014 at 11:20 PM.

vCash
    To add to that point, that's why I said previously that it's just moving around deck chairs when it comes to GMs because if this is the long term plan with them spending money the next GM is going to have similar financial restraints until the team gets better and revenue increases. It will just be that he has a better farm system to work with and may become the beneficiary of that like some of the guys leftover from Minaya benefited Sandy Alderson.

vCash
    well the last time I was this angry with this team was when they trade Seaver for garbage, but if you spend money, the fans will come and spend and fill the seats buy the beer and hotdogs buy the shirts and watch the games on SYN were they will make even more money. You have to put a product on the field to draw fans to the game. Like they say "If you build it they will come"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by playD View Post
    well the last time I was this angry with this team was when they trade Seaver for garbage, but if you spend money, the fans will come and spend and fill the seats buy the beer and hotdogs buy the shirts and watch the games on SYN were they will make even more money. You have to put a product on the field to draw fans to the game. Like they say "If you build it they will come"
    Where are they getting the money from if the team is losing money? Like I said, they aren't borrowing from their other non related Met's businesses to stick money into the team. No owners do that. They treat their businesses like separate entities because they are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Where are they getting the money from if the team is losing money? Like I said, they aren't borrowing from their other non related Met's businesses to stick money into the team. No owners do that. They treat their businesses like separate entities because they are.
    really have you heard of the Yankees or maybe the Dodgers or the Angels hmmm I wonder were their money comes from oh yeah they spend money and they have money because their fans demand it. Just wondering is your last name Wilpon. In your eyes this team and their owner/ FO can do no wrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by playD View Post
    really have you heard of the Yankees or maybe the Dodgers or the Angels hmmm I wonder were their money comes from oh yeah they spend money and they have money because their fans demand it. Just wondering is your last name Wilpon. In your eyes this team and their owner/ FO can do no wrong
    You do know the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels don't have the debt issues the Mets have right? They spend money in accordance to the money they make and make a ton of profit in doing so. The Dodgers and Angels TV rights alone can cover most of their annual payroll. You're comparing teams that make money over a team that is currently losing money. Have you noticed the debt against the ballpark, the network, the fact that gate sales aren't matching up to payroll, etc? Exactly how are the Mets going to increase payroll exponentially when that's the case?

Sorry reality sucks, I don't like it as much as any Met fan, but that's the way it is and Bud Selig is unfortunately not going to intervene.

Please don't give me the "Is your last name Wilpon" shtick. You haven't been here long enough to know how anti Wilpon I have been.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-02-2014 at 02:29 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast