Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Will smith "visiting" patriots?

Four years ago, the New England Patriots found success with a veteran pass rusher cast aside by his former team when they signed Andre Carter.

They're now hoping lightning will strike twice.

Free-agent defensive end Will Smith is visiting the Patriots on Tuesday, reports ESPN's John Clayton.

Like Carter, Smith was miscast as a 3-4 outside linebacker when the Saints brought in Rob Ryan to run the defense. Unlike Carter, Smith never had a chance to play the new position.

The one-time Pro Bowl selection missed the entire 2013 season after tearing his ACL in late August.

Turning 33 this summer, Smith might not have much left in the tank. He's surpassed 7.0 sacks only once since the 2006 season.

If he lands in New England, it's unlikely that he will not be guaranteed a roster spot.
    Per Chris Wesseling

Note: the alert came up as signed, I guess the article hasn't updated to match.
    Last edited by lolollort; 04-01-2014 at 01:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lolollort View Post
    Per Chris Wesseling
    Nothing out there right now supports this. Everything up to 12:30 just announces him as a visitor.
    -

vCash
    Signed or Visiting?

vCash
    Yeah, no clue why the alert from the NFL app showed it as "breaking: patriots SIGN will smith"

I looked at Sheftner/Clayton/ESPN boston and nfl.com

But as you said they are all saying "visiting"

Sooooo yeah I edited the title to match.

2nd edit: I can't post the link because I'm on mobile and it's from the app but you can see that it was edited at 1:06 but published at 12:58, SMFH
    Last edited by lolollort; 04-01-2014 at 01:12 PM.

vCash
    If he lands in New England, it's unlikely that he will not be guaranteed a roster spot.
    dat grammar?

How protected will his roster spot be? Is he mainly camp competition with an outside shot of sticking on the 53?

vCash
    Gonna close this for the time being seeing that it's only a visit. If he ends up signing though I'll re-open this thread.