Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What to make of the Spurs?

With last night's win, the Spurs won their 18th consecutive game and improved their record to 58-16 with 8 games left to play.

The Spurs all time franchise record is 63 wins, so going 5/8 would tie their best regular season ever and 6/8 would surpass it.

Keep in mind, this is a team that has had 50+ game winning seasons for 14 consecutive seasons prior to this year, and a 50+ game winning for 16/18 previous seasons. And the two seasons they did not have a 50+ game winning season, one was a lock out year where they won 49 games out of 72, and the other they won 47 games.

Their 18th consecutive win was their longest regular season win streak in franchise history.
    They're 3.5 games ahead of their closest rival (OKC).
    The player with the highest minutes played on the roster is Tony Parker at 30.1 mpg.
    Their "core" players of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobli, and Tony Parker are now 37, 36, and 31.

It is quite possible that this may go down as the greatest regular season in Spurs history -- an utterly mind boggling concept given their age and how competitive the Western Conference is this year.

There are 2 first tier Championship level contenders in the West in the Spurs and OKC and 3 second tier championship contenders in The Clippers, Houston, and GSW. The Spurs have 4 Play off teams in their division (Spurs, Rockets, Dallas, Memphis), 6 of the 8 play off teams are on pace for 50+ wins, and the 7, 8 and 9 seed are all on track for 48 wins or more (44-30 with 8 games to go).

Yet somehow they are in the middle of their longest winning streak in history, and on track for their best regular season in history.

Should Pops be the coach of the Year despite the award typically going to "most improved" teams? What are the Spurs *real* chances of getting out of the West or winning the Championship? And what on earth is in the water in San Antonio?

What do you make of the Spurs?
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    I would have thought that their disappointing last year loss in the Finals should break them this year, I was wrong, they're very motivated to play back to back Finals and change the result.

And I think they can do it.

vCash
    They've been executing flawlessly. Its crazy to think that with all the success they've had over the past 15 years, and all the big name players they've had in their prime, that THIS would be their best regular season record. Win streak aside, they've been easily been looking like the best team in the league lately

vCash
    They on fire. Up in here. They burnin hot. They on fiiiiire.

I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    They on fire. Up in here. They burnin hot. They on fiiiiire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPURSFAN1 View Post
    I agree

I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

vCash
    If the Spurs can hang onto home court through out I like their chances (health permitted). OKC scares the crap out of me though. Length and athleticism still gives the Spurs trouble.

vCash
    They are great team.

I think when Duncan was younger and dominating in the post they were a better team though. It seems like a more playoff conducive formula.
    Quote Originally Posted by poleandreel View Post
    I really don't think you understand pace or how it impacts a game. OKC has been top 5 in pace in the NBA for the past 4 years and top 5 in defense for the past 3 years...
    If you falsify information in an attempt to promote your agenda like this, you are dead to me.

vCash
    I don't think the West is that 'strong', though it is deep.

OKC have been without their second best player for much of the season.
    LAC lost CP3 for a big chunk of the season, and the team isn't as deep as some contenders in years past.

GSW is underachieving given their strong performance last year and the addition of Iggy.

The Rockets can be great, but they need more time together and, no offence to McHale, perhaps a better coach, though I think their primary issue is effective ball handling (a play-maker like Rondo, CP3, or hell, even Jose Calderon, would make that team much better).

That said, even teams like PHO and MIN would be posting 50+ wins in the East and struggle to get into the playoffs in the West, so the depth and overall level is much higher than the average, but it isn't like a few years ago where there was a team poised to get 50 wins AND miss the playoffs. In 08 the Warriors were on pace for 50 wins, ended up with 48 and MISSED the playoffs. The next year, the Jazz earned 48 wins and missed the playoffs as well. And the year after EVERY team in the Western conference playoffs was a 50 win team. So I think the West has been deeper and the Spurs have done very well with a more competitive West in the past.

That said... just WOW!! The Spurs are AMAZING.

Props to Pops.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    I've been picking the Spurs to win it all every year since 2006. It was there's last year. I still don't know what happened.

This year I was reluctant to pick them, but I wasn't sure who else to pick.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Their offensive efficiency rating was the second best during the stretch of 18 games last night at 126.5. They stymied Paul George making him look like an average starter. It doesn't matter if Duncan has 9 points 6 rebounds and a block. The rest get it done. Whether you want to stop one, it just doesn't matter. I cannot wait for OKC, so we can end this petty debate this season and blow them out as well. Here's hoping that Duncan gets his Kobe tied fifth ring. Look out NBA. The most boring team in the NBA is ready to crush you.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    They're such a consistent team, will be interesting to see if they can continue their hot play into the playoffs.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 46-52, games this week vs. Blue Jays (4), Rays (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: Good draft and off-season so far.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    Pop probably thinks it's hilarious that he's done a good chunk of his work this season with Patty Mills, Boris Diaw, Marco Belinelli, and Jeff Ayres as the focal points.

vCash
    What to make of the Spurs? How about the same thing everybody has been saying for the past 3 years?

Age will catch up to them, this is the year they fall off. They are no longer the class of the West.

I mean, if we say it enough years in a row surely it will come true right?
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    I cant believe Duncan is still playing at this high a level and they really have come together since Kawhi returned. Hes their X-Factor imo
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast