Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Scouting the 2014 Mets

JUAN LAGARES, CF

THE BUZZ: "He’s not a starting outfielder on a winning team. He’s great defensively, you want him out there for defense, but he has to get on base more to justify playing."

— Baseball analyst

CHRIS YOUNG, LF

THE BUZZ:
    "He really impressed me. His balance is so much better this season and he is in great shape. He looks like a cornerback out there, we’ll see if it translates, but he looks good."

— NL scout

RUBEN TEJADA, SS

THE BUZZ:
    Tejada has not been impressive. What is disappointing is he had a chance to come in here with a chip on his shoulder and prove all these guys wrong and he hasn’t. What concerns me most about him long term is his lack of first-step quickness.

— NL scout

DAVID WRIGHT, 3B

THE BUZZ:
    "What can you say. He's David Wright. He’s been healthy this spring for the first time in a couple of years."

— Baseball analyst

TRAVIS D'ARNAUD, C

THE BUZZ:
    “Yes, he has some mechanical quirks in his swing, but he has hit at every level he has been at and I think he will here too. He had hardly enough at-bats last season total to really get going. He’ll be under pressure early, so we’ll see. He is a really good receiver of the ball.”

— Baseball analyst

CURTIS GRANDERSON, RF

THE BUZZ:
    "You know, I really like him for the Mets. He’s veteran hitter, he knows what he is doing. I think he will be a great influence on a team with a lot of younger guys. He strikes out a lot, but his power translates more than people think."

— NL scout

DANIEL MURPHY, 2B

THE BUZZ:
    "He’s a professional hitter and I guess he’s become an acceptable second baseman. At least you are not cringing when there is a routine play at second. He’ll grind out hits for you."

— NL Scout

IKE DAVIS & LUCAS DUDA, 1B

THE BUZZ:
    I was expecting to see a different swing (from Davis). He still has all that movement with his hands, his front is leaking open. It’s hard to really see any difference because he has lost so much time.

— NL Scout

THE BUZZ: You are always going to be limited with Lucas, the potential ceiling is lower than Ike’s. He has holes in his swing that you are just going to have to live with. But I see some improvement. I saw him hit two flyballs to left field, which he rarely did before.

— NL Scout

BULLPEN: BOBBY PARNELL, JOSE VALVERDE, JERUYS FAMILIA

THE BUZZ:
    “I’ll be worried about him until I see (Parnell) get his velo up on back-to-back days.”

— Baseball analyst

THE BUZZ: “Jose Valverde really surprised me, the way he didn’t look like he had anything left and then he put together a pretty good spring.”

— Baseball analyst

THE BUZZ: “Familia is a guy who really impressed me this spring, he seems to have pulled it together. I just worry about over-use with him. They have to be careful how they use him.”

— Baseball analyst

STARTING PITCHERS: ZACK WHEELER, JON NIESE, DILLON GEE, BARTOLO COLON

THE BUZZ: Zack really stood out. Hitter were saying that his stuff may not be quite as electric, but he has more deception and they have a harder time recognizing pitches out of his hand.

— Baseball analyst

THE BUZZ: I know the MRIs have come back fine, but you have to worry about all the trouble (Niese) has had over the past year. He’s never pitched 200 innings in his career.

— NL scout

THE BUZZ: Very good at what he does. (Gee) doesn’t walk anybody. He’s a very good fourth starter.

— Baseball analyst

THE BUZZ: He’s been doing it for a long time, a good veteran presence, (Colon) will be good for them if he stays healthy.

— AL scout
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1739813

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Sounds about right.

vCash
    Damn Lagares got ripped!! lol. I really like the kid I hope is able to hit this year. Also when Gee gets on one of his rolls he pitches more like a #2 starter I hope he can do it for a full season this year.

vCash
    Highly underestimating Lagares by saying he's not a starting OFer on a winning team?

Really?

I think elite defensive CFers play well on any team.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Baseball analyst = an old ball player that does not know or care for the importance of defense at a premium position. RBI and BA is what they look at.