Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
    I'm not following. What Buster says makes perfect sense.

Saves cause arbitration costs to spike. A pitcher could be Craig Kimbrel, but without saves he'll never make more than $5MM in arbitration. And it'll take 3 years to get there. With even 15 saves per season entering arbitration, that same pitcher can make $5MM-$10MM-$15MM through the arb process.

The arb system is thoroughly broken for relievers. It behooves the Phillies to prevent Giles from earning saves. Otherwise, they would have sold Papelbon to a team like the White Sox or Astros for nothing but salary relief before those clubs signed relievers.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

That's pretty bad. Even if they dealt Papelbon and ate 80% of his contract it would cover the difference in the Giles arbitration when he is eligible.

That's not true in the linear scenario (i.e. Giles continues to pitch at this level without injury). If he started closing now, he would earn well over $15MM in his final year of eligibility. More if he's a Super-2 (I think he's on that track). Dealing Papelbon might cover arb year 1 at best and that's with accepting a Powerball ticket in return.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Of course, Giles is going to earn some saves soon, so we're not really discussing the two real options. The club could pull a Rays and hire guys like Balfour to keep Giles in the eighth, but that's not a Philly move.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    That's not true in the linear scenario (i.e. Giles continues to pitch at this level without injury). If he started closing now, he would earn well over $15MM in his final year of eligibility. More if he's a Super-2 (I think he's on that track). Dealing Papelbon might cover arb year 1 at best and that's with accepting a Powerball ticket in return.
    Im really just talking about his 1st year of arbitration eligibility not every year. Say they ate 80% and saved close to 3 million just this season (not factoring in his vesting option) that 3 million wouldn't be the difference in his first year arbitration salary regardless of his track record with saves considering players generally don't make a large sum their 1st year. Regardless, they aren't making decisions on Papelbon based on Giles and his arbitration (I know thats not what hes saying). If it were a money issue they'd deal him for nothing and get no major spec in return like you said before and save 26 million potentially.

We really need some 2nd base options, Utley looks awful.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

No internal options right now and if Utley stays healthy he will keep triggering his options.

I rather see Hernandez play there over Utley right now, (why did I posted here?) LOL

- I love Ray Lewis.

From what I understand, Scott Kingery could be on the fast track to the big leagues... ala Aaron Nola. 3 years of very good hitting in Pac-12... 2 batting titles there. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by phillies1980 View Post
    From what I understand, Scott Kingery could be on the fast track to the big leagues... ala Aaron Nola. 3 years of very good hitting in Pac-12... 2 batting titles there. Fingers crossed.
    Yup, they say he was a steal in the 2nd round and that he is mature enough to only stay one year in the minors, I loved that pick.

- I love Ray Lewis.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354