Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    NY would never trade Betances

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Donnie View Post
    NY would never trade Betances
    They have a good bullpen and have absolutely nothing else to trade for guys like Lee and Hamels.

The Phillies would rather eat salary in with a different team than just give up Hamels or Lee to the Yankees for a **** package frontlined by... Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthian View Post
    It would be interesting to see if the Phillies can pull off something a la the Red Sox a few years ago when they rid of Crawford and Agon's salaries. Maybe they could pull of something along the lines of sending Howard, Lee, and Papelbon to a team for a bag of beans to free up a bunch of salary rather than using Lee and Papelbon to acquire specs That would free up 61 mil next year but that would have to go to a big market team with an opening at DH/1B
    The boat has very much sailed on that. Howard can't even pretend to have value anymore. Lee is coming off an elbow injury so nobody is going to be paying full price. It just doesn't seem possible.

I was thinking about a potential Lee for Crawford and prospects scenarios. That counteracts some of the cost of Lee and the Phils can keep pretending to contend with a better LFer in tow.

I doubt the Yankees make a big move now that Tanaka is down. He was the only reason the team was even in contention. Unless McCann goes on a tear, that team is done.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

You're getting a little wishy washy KJ, the Phillies could get one of those Dodgers prospects for Hamels, but that's it. Maybe 2 with Utley in the deal.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Phillies Get:
    P Dellin Betances
    C Gary Sanchez

Yankees Get:
    Cole Hamels
    Ryan Howard

Phillies Get:
    Joc Pederson
    Zach Lee

Dodgers Get:
    P Cliff Lee
    2B Chase Utley

sexicano31 Guest
    Lmao

Phils should be able to get something of decent value from The Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    You're getting a little wishy washy KJ, the Phillies could get one of those Dodgers prospects for Hamels, but that's it. Maybe 2 with Utley in the deal.
    I don't know about that though. I understand he's got a nice chuck of change left, but look at all the pitchers that have been traded recently that had a lot less control than Hamels also being worse pitchers than Hamels.

I think The Phillies, if done right, could get a great package in return for Hamels (from the Dodgers). Because of his salary, I think other teams would be harder to sell without eating a bunch, but I think the phillies should do that regardless

What about Lee and Papelbon to LA? Dodgers eat the contracts, and send Chris Perez(to make room on the roster) Chris Anderson one of Darnell Sweeny or Scott Schelber and one of Zach Lee or Chris Reed.

I wish AGon wasnt on the Dodgers or I'd say we should do a Howard/Crawford swap...would you do that if you were the Phillies?
    If LA didn't have gonzales, it would free up an OF spot, which would help get Pederson more playing time, and the contracts are equivalent. Phills could do something where they give the dodgers 5 mill the next two years, and the dodgers give the Phillis 10 mill for Crawford's 3rd year to even things out a bit.

If by two you mean 2 of Seager, Pederson, Urias. You could get something else, likely Gordon since they play the same position. And Gordon is on pace for a 4+ war season, and never mind. Keep Utley.

I thought Gordon could just swing to short with HanRam going to third, but I see his defense (Gordon) isn't even good at 2B let alone SS.

In any case, the problem with the Phillies trading Hamels and/or Lee is they have to get a can't miss prospect plus some other goodies. But most teams can't even afford to bid on the pair and those that do realize the supply/demand component favors them considerably. There's the other, more frequently discussed issues as well.

Its ok we've won 5 in a row..We're buyers now.

Its ok we've won 5 in a row..We're buyers now.
    The losing streak has started again now. We are safe

I thought Gordon could just swing to short with HanRam going to third, but I see his defense (Gordon) isn't even good at 2B let alone SS.

In any case, the problem with the Phillies trading Hamels and/or Lee is they have to get a can't miss prospect plus some other goodies. But most teams can't even afford to bid on the pair and those that do realize the supply/demand component favors them considerably. There's the other, more frequently discussed issues as well.
    I think that's why they have to get guys like Pederson, Walker, Taveres/Wong. Not saying they will get those guys but Lee, Utley, and Hamels very well could get you those caliber prospects back. Those are the prospects that have shown something in the majors or are at least a cup of coffee away from showing they have what it takes.

The Phillies can't settle for a 2-3 year away top prospect since those type of prospects are riskier. I don't think the Phillies will contend in at least 3 years so getting a near ready guy is still ok with another 2-3 years of control left while they are (hopefully) starting to get better. The thing is, the Phillies can and will still throw money in FA if they think they have a core close to the 08 team. A few close to MLB ready guys will help that.

Unfortunately, the team only has Asche, Revere, and Giles (possibly Brown) and young cost controlled talent that could be part of a contending team. But those are only complementary pieces. For humors sake, say you get Walker, Pederson, and Taveras (Lee for Pederson, Utley for Walker, Hamels for Taveres... Again humors sake and other pieces obviously involed) you then have in 2017:

C: ?/FA/maybe Joseph
    1B: Howard... Maybe Franco
    2B: ?/Herandez
    SS: Crawford
    3B: Franco/Asche/FA
    LF: Pederson
    CF: Revere/FA
    RF: Taveres
    SP: Walker
    SP: Biddle
    SP: FA/another minor leaguer
    SP: Kendirck (he'll forever be here)
    SP: FA/minor league filler
    Bullpen: minor leaguers/FA
    Closer: Giles
    Bench: Minor leaguers

Obviously this is all hoping packages of Hamels, Lee, Utley, Papelbon come back with stuff that are almost can't miss and that our top three prospects pan out BUT if they do, that team above is something that could turn into a great core.

Out of the 4 listed above, I doubt the phillies could get Walker or Taveres... Fill those in with Paxton and Poscotty maybe?

All I know is, the Phillies should, without question, trade Lee, Hamels, Utley (if he's willing), and Papelbon since those are the only guys they will be able to get any sort of close to can't miss talent back. It's basically a must.

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast