Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What is most responsible for the drop in entertainment value of the NBA?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Analytics

4 17.39%
  • The NBA is less entertaining because we grew up.

6 26.09%
  • The NBA is every bit as entertaining as iits always been if not more so.

13 56.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Have analytics killed the NBA's entertainment value?

Analytics have made the game more efficient. The corner three is frequently utilized. Long twos are eradicated. Dunks, threes, and freethrows are all that remain. Team ball movement is preferred to PG heavy control. The basketball world is better than ever as far as efficiency regardless of the talent being dilute to many.

While it is easy to love the level of skill in the game when you see a LBJ or KD, it is also incredibly difficult to watch a full 48 min ball game. I used to love watching games growing up, and now it seems I watch the first quarter and see how the game is progressing, pieces of the second or third and about half of the fourth if the game is close enough. Of course I watch the highlights later and all the ESPN commentary.

IMO the game lacks flash like it used to have. There are no more stars with charisma. Is this because the personalities and lack of sales potential? I highly doubt it due to the marketability of the league. I honestly feel it is in part because of the strategy changes due to analytics. The players we remember most for their play get bad names for their heroics and selfishness. The Kobe's and AI's, the last real showmen that understood the NBA is about entertainment and fun as much as it is about winning. We used to see players go one on five and somehow score, albeit less efficiently and with more losses than wins, but those wins stuck in our minds and the losses were forgiven. We saw heart, desire, passion, real players and not machines. Now, the entertainment is all but dead in the NBA. Never again will we see the hero.

Is the NBA as exciting to you as it once was? If it is less exciting, is it because we just grew up? What is the cause in your opinion? How can the NBA become more entertaining?

vCash
    It's kind of an interesting question.

I'd have to ask you, would you rather your favorite team play more like the Knicks than the Spurs, results included?

vCash
    Are you asking if a more efficient game isn't as entertaining or something?

vCash
    how so?

i think you're just getting old or something,there's just as many stars and just as much flash as always

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Are you asking if a more efficient game isn't as entertaining or something?
    The point he is making is that he misses the creativity of hero ball, that teams becoming more efficient has made them more calculating and thus, less interesting. Which is odd because casual fans love dunks and 3's, at least thats the popular thought anyways, but for die hards, I do miss post play, I miss teams not being able to load up on star players too tho, yet at the same time, I dont miss stagnant offenses, the league and its players adapt to the rule changes regardless. Either way, stats are not to blame, its the skillset with the players involved.

For one, Kobe was plenty efficient and has led some powerful offenses with him hoisting away, so its not like a youngster growing up couldn't play the way Kobe has and be just as successful today, the reason we dont see another star like that is because its damn hard to attain that combination of talent+skill
    Last edited by Chronz; 03-31-2014 at 01:42 AM.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    To me, flash was never entertaining. I like the progressed style much more. But I imagine I'm in the minority

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    I do miss post play
    now this i agree with

vCash
    This whole boring nba seems to be a big problem as of late on psd and in the media.
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions:
    Yards:
    Tds:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    It's kind of an interesting question.

I'd have to ask you, would you rather your favorite team play more like the Knicks than the Spurs, results included?
    Spurs is the correct answer but they are really boring to watch even in all those finals games. As for the Knicks when the had mike d'antoni and Lynn for that run was pretty awesome or when they had Nate Robinson going off.

Also the warriors team that beat Dallas was coo to watch.

C Al Harrington
    PF Captain Jack
    SF Richardson
    SG Ellis
    PG Davis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    The point he is making is that he misses the creativity of hero ball, that teams becoming more efficient has made them more calculating and thus, less interesting. Which is odd because casual fans love dunks and 3's, at least thats the popular thought anyways, but for die hards, I do miss post play, I miss teams not being able to load up on star players too tho, yet at the same time, I dont miss stagnant offenses, the league and its players adapt to the rule changes regardless. Either way, stats are not to blame, its the skillset with the players involved.

For one, Kobe was plenty efficient and has led some powerful offenses with him hoisting away, so its not like a youngster growing up couldn't play the way Kobe has and be just as successful today, the reason we dont see another star like that is because its damn hard to attain that combination of talent+skill
    Wow! Nice post Chronz.

vCash
    The NBA is losing out on a lot without Kobe Bryant. Don't know any player that is nearly as electrifying to watch in this current era. In the 80's we had Magic, Bird, Showtime and the Lakers/Celtics rivalry. In the 90's we had Jordan... nuff said. Then in the 2000's, we had Shaq/Kobe, then Kobe. Quite a golden age of basketball from an entertainment standpoint if you ask me. A very tough act to follow. Durant is the only one I can think of that has a chance to make it into that echelon of players. Watchability factor is what I am referring to of course. There have been many great players who have been awesome to watch from a technical standpoint as well such as Duncan, KG, Nash, Dirk, and CP3.

vCash
    The problem is these analytics aren't always right to use.. if they were wed want to just shoot all corner 3s since they are best ts% right?.. like many have stated, there's too many variables and factors. Way to many.
    I know that's not the thread but just throwing that out there.

Say you have a prime JKidd..his best and most comfortable skill is to work his way inside and feed his cutting Big. So **** what analytics say, stick to what you're good at and beat your opponent..make all the hustle plays, out rebound your opponent, intimidate them if you can.

I'd rather have Kidd run my offense and everyone play off eachother versus some analytic advanced stats garbage system

vCash
    I don't see how you think "heart, desire, passion" are qualities that go with entertainment and not with winning.

vCash
    Analytics didn't kill variety in the NBA. Rule changes to favor the offense have killed variety in the NBA.

Reinstate hand checking and the 3 point statistical advantage declines dramatically. Drives to the rim become significantly harder.

Remove the 3s defensive rule and the value of great post up and rim defense goes way up.

Reinstate 2 hands on the opponent and you'll see more variety in offenses and more use of sets to break players free, AND more creativity on the part of the "isolation" players.

The rise of the 3 and lay up game isn't the fault of analytics. The rise of the 3 and lay up game is because they made it TOO EASY to score them by taking away the tools of defense.

When a post up player can't even back down an opponent without getting an offensive foul, when even a light brush on a jump shooter is a foul, when points are being given to the other team on ticky tack fouls due to a fear of contact, THAT's when it became obvious that driving and 3 pointers were the *easiest* way to put points on the board.

Even just bringing back hand checking would *dramatically* change the game. And for the better in my opinion.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    rule changes. end of story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast