Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Eagles Off-Season Thus Far: A Complete Joke

I hope this isn't merged into the off-season thread, so people can offer their thoughts on the off-season thus far.

On defense, thus far, the Eagles off-season has been a joke, a complete joke. We have tons of cap space and money, and got second tier players. Our biggest need was safety, and we addressed that by signing Malcom Jenkins, even though players like Jairus Byrd etc etc were available.

We re-signed Nate Allen to a 1 year, 2 million dollar contract, and the Texas just signed Chris Clemons, a better safety to a two year 2.7 million dollar deal. A better safety than Nate Allen in every aspect and only 1 year older. We signed a bunch of special teams players along with Nolan Carroll.

Our defense needed to improve on every level, we needed better safties, an elite pass-rusher, and CB/D-Line could definitely be upgraded. Safety was addressed with Jenkins, (although we could have done better), many pass-rushers in this draft came and gone. Shaun Phillips, who had 10 sacks last season and 75+ for his career, a pass rusher in a 3-4 scheme in San Diego signed for 2 years and 6 million.... With Revis out there, we only signed Nolan Carroll, a guy I don't even believe will see much playing time, a back-up.

ON OFFENSE,

We traded for Darren Sproles, awesome player, but Sproles in this offense is a luxury, not a need. Shady McCoy is 10x better, and he himself is one of the best receiving backs in the NFL. He had 500+ yards receiving last season for gods sake. Bryce Brown as a back-up was just fine in this offense. The reason I am "okay" with this deal is just because I believe Sproles is a quality receiving back and can limit McCoy's plays and hits and help prolong his career. But this trade was a luxury, by no means a need.

Second, we released DeSean Jackson. This guy was electric. Two guys are needed to cover him, as no corner back in this god-damn league can match this guys speed. He opened the field up for every player on this field, and was a large part of McCoy and Coopers success. To those arguing Maclin can come in and replace Jackson, he was a solid receiver before injury yes, but he was never the type of elite play-maker Jackson was. Plus coming off ACL injury, you cannot expect everybody to come back like Adrian Peterson and tear the league up. I truly believe our offense was built to beat Seattle's defense. Our O-line is physical and fast and as good as Sherman is, he can not match-up with Jackson 1-1, and would need some safety help opening the field up for our tight ends and Cooper/Maclin. Seattle cannot stack 8 in the box to stop McCoy with Jackson on this team.

IF DeSean Jackson was going to be released or traded from the start, why the **** did we wait to do it till the end of March. The money we add to our cap space by releasing/trading him could have been used to sign a replacement type WR or defensive player. Names off the top of my head are Emmanuel Sanders or a Julian Edleman type receiver. Everybody argues Chip's system made Jackson this successful, but it works both ways, Jackson's talents made Chip's system work well, and he was THE PERFECT fit in our offense. Our attempts to ruin Jackson's reputation are a complete joke, because the guy associated with Jackson in the shooting was acquitted over a year ago. The Eagles "Character Concerns", is just Chip Kelley not wanting Jackson.

Finally, the release of Jackson leads me to believe the Eagles taking a play-maker WR with their first pick, which was supposed to be a pick used on an elite defensive play-makers. The organization which was known for second chances is changing due to Chip Kelley thinking he is some mastermind and can take anyone and make them elite. This isn't college, its the NFL Chip.
    Last edited by Nikeman; 03-30-2014 at 07:45 PM.

vCash
    To make matters worse, Jackson is meeting with the Redskins, an NFC division rival who won the division the year before us. The Redskins have a talented defense, and if RG3 comes back healthy, along with Garcon, Jackson and Alfred Morris, the Redskins can give us tight competition for years to come.

vCash
    Tl;dr

vCash
    Oh boy nikeman. Wait til bdawk and his BFF McManus get in here and verbally abuse u cuz they don't agree with you.

On a serious note. I agree with the defensive argument you made. I kinda like Jenkins but we could have signed tj ward or someone better. My point is better safeties were available and we settled for a average safety.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mnatiq View Post
    Oh boy nikeman. Wait til bdawk and his BFF McManus get in here and verbally abuse u cuz they don't agree with you.

On a serious note. I agree with the defensive argument you made. I kinda like Jenkins but we could have signed tj ward or someone better. My point is better safeties were available and we settled for a average safety.
    Lol I can't wait, I am not a regular but if they disagree and offer valid opinions I am willing to argue my points. If they just say stupid **** I won't waste my time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mnatiq View Post

Shouldn't you have a new sig?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikeman View Post
    Lol I can't wait, I am not a regular but if they disagree and offer valid opinions I am willing to argue my points. If they just say stupid **** I won't waste my time.
    All of this is/has been discussed elsewhere.

vCash
    DJax needed us more than we needed him, it's obvious from the lack of interest he's getting from other teams. we should have made moves on defense however i dont think the release of Jackson means we draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. we have WRs, we have one forgotten guy that i think will be a beast if he can get healthy and thats Benn.
    he's got good size and runs under a 4.5s.
    Eagles offseason:
    [] Hire new coaching staff
    [] Restructure Mike Vick
    [] Sign/draft Starting OLineman
    [] Sign/draft physical cornerbacks
    [] Sign/draft Starting Safeties
    [] Sign/draft Big WR
    [] Sign veteran Safety

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    All of this is/has been discussed elsewhere.
    Thanks a lot for your contributions man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by strokeman View Post
    DJax needed us more than we needed him, it's obvious from the lack of interest he's getting from other teams. we should have made moves on defense however i dont think the release of Jackson means we draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. we have WRs, we have one forgotten guy that i think will be a beast if he can get healthy and that Benn.
    he's gut good size and runs under a 4.5s.
    Lack of interest? Apparently 9 teams are interested in him bro.

vCash
    Thanks a lot for your contributions man
    Not trying to be a dick, but if everyone starts their own "vent" thread, it clutters the forum. That's all.

You make a lot of good points, just think you might get more feedback and conversation if you keep it in the places it's already being/been discussed.

vCash
    Lack of interest? Apparently 9 teams are interested in him bro.
    Reports are raiders and redskins.

vCash
    With regards to the eagles not signing bryd... the eagles were not gonna match( or beat) the offer he got from Saints and TJ Ward was not a fit we needed Cover safety. Malcolm Jenkins was the best fit in terms of what we needed ( although he could have been a Lil cheaper, but the contract that Roseman got him 2 sign is basically 2yr 8 mil)

and while i do that like losing Jackson this yr he was gonna be cut after this yr no matter so he wouldn't have been tradable (teams would have waited for him to be a cap causality) and this is the Draft to get his replacement and Ur not gonna replace him with a 6th round pick so they still would be picking in successor in this draft rounds 2-4 now the difference is all the other teams know...

but for everyone that is up in arms about the way the FO has handled this off season I'm sure most ppl will be calling for howies head unless we win the nfl title/ super bowl

vCash
    As for the plethora of Special team players I like all of them for what they were signed to do...aswell Brahman and Carol have upside to be starters ( not this yr, but provide very good depth)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Shouldn't you have a new sig?
    Nope. Bet was on a trade not a cut. It's all written.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast