Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March/April GT

vCash

March/April GT

We're essentially less than 48 hours till the team plays their first game against Miami. Hopefully we can maintain some decent traffic here. I know it's not very fun to post when they are awful though.
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

vCash
    We just have crappy owners who care more about making money than winning. Still hope they can pull off some magic.

vCash
    I can't believe the negativity in here. I mean JORGE DE LA ROSA is our Opening Day starter. C'mon!
    Jerry West or Larry Bird? The discussion is over.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../birdje01.html

Part of the GOAT team: Chamberlain, Bird, Duncan, Durrant, Ewing, Gervin.
    http://bkref.com/tiny/JIHaF

vCash
    Hey Mud it is opening day, you could have put some effort in the game thread haha!!

vCash
    I probably should've. I really didn't expect much activity to be honest.
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

vCash
    Yeah 10-1 great start, don't have much expectations this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Game_Over View Post
    We just have crappy owners who care more about making money than winning. Still hope they can pull off some magic.
    eh, I just don't think they have the right management or roster. We are 17th in salary and we are a small market team. 4 of the bottom ten teams in salary made the playoffs, 4 in the 11-20 range (which the Rockies are) and 3 in top ten in salary cap.

I personally though the Walt Weiss move was horrid. Spending so much money on our lineup and not enough attention to our pitching isn't smart. O'Dowd is brutal. Its just a terribly ran organization but I am not sure you can blame the money thing as the source of the problem.

vCash
    Of course our management and FO are pathetic and it comes from ownership. The Rockies are an exception for small market teams because they can still draw better crowds than a lot of major market teams if they just have a decent product. O'dowd should have been gone years ago and Geivett is just his pawn but they are all yes men to the Monforts. Weiss is not great but he doesn't have much to work with and that is why he is still here.

vCash
    Welp, it was closer. Loss nonetheless though. Could still split the series if I'm being optimistic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Game_Over View Post
    Of course our management and FO are pathetic and it comes from ownership. The Rockies are an exception for small market teams because they can still draw better crowds than a lot of major market teams if they just have a decent product. O'dowd should have been gone years ago and Geivett is just his pawn but they are all yes men to the Monforts. Weiss is not great but he doesn't have much to work with and that is why he is still here.
    We are decent at drawing crowds for how bad we usually are. But the last 10 years 6 of those we were in the bottom 8 of just the NL in average attendance. Our best crowd years are the years we have virtually finished last or close to it.

To tell me Weiss doesn't have much to work with is somewhat of a joke. We bring these prospects in, mostly highly touted pitchers, and they are practically worthless. I know its not just Weiss but man with Hurdle we had pitchers that progressed. **** even with Tracy we had pitchers progress nicely. Weiss, has not improved our pitchers on our pitching staff. He doesn''t make anyone better, or elevate there game.

Get rid of the front office and coaching staff.

vCash
    Hey guys,

I rarely post on here, but I really enjoy reading the conversations about all different teams. I really think that the Rockies have a decent lineup. They've got a nice mixture of youth and experience, and have bats from both sides of the plate. They do have a severe lack of pitching talent and depth. While coaching might help, they really need to improve the quality of the pitchers they're bringing to Denver.

I agree with previous posters who complain about the Monforts and their desire for money vs. winning. Retaining O'Dud and his staff of drones is the big tell there. They want Chess pieces they can manipulate, not free thinking GM's like Andrew Friedman from TB or Billy Beane.

Most of all, I think the Rockies really miss the boat in their farm direction. They need to recruit a farm director and head scout who can put the Rockies in a position to have talent at their disposal when needed. Most notably young pitching. They need to put effort into draft planning every day of the year, so when the draft comes around they have a plan to sign quality players who have a chance to make a contribution at the major league level.

Anyway, it's still early on. Who knows what will happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    We are decent at drawing crowds for how bad we usually are. But the last 10 years 6 of those we were in the bottom 8 of just the NL in average attendance. Our best crowd years are the years we have virtually finished last or close to it.

To tell me Weiss doesn't have much to work with is somewhat of a joke. We bring these prospects in, mostly highly touted pitchers, and they are practically worthless. I know its not just Weiss but man with Hurdle we had pitchers that progressed. **** even with Tracy we had pitchers progress nicely. Weiss, has not improved our pitchers on our pitching staff. He doesn''t make anyone better, or elevate there game.

Get rid of the front office and coaching staff.
    I gotta side with Game Over. I don't buy this small market excuse the Monforts conveniently try to use.

2008 - Rockies averaged over 33,000 fans per game, which was good for 13th in overall in the league. Teams above them: HOU, MIL, BOS, SF, CHI, DET, LAA, LA, PHI, STL, NYY, NYM

2009 - Rockies averaged just under 33,000 (32,902) per game and was 11th in all of baseball. Teams above them: SF, MIL, BOS, NYM, CHI, LAA, STL, Philly, NYY, LA

2010 - Rockies averaged just under 36,000 (35,940) per game and were 10th in all of baseball. Teams above them: SF, BOS, CHI, MIN, LA, LAA, Philly, NYY, STL

2011 - Rockies averaged just under 36,000 again (35,923) per game and were 12th in all of baseball. Teams above them: LA, TEX, CHI, BOS, MIL, STL, LA, SF, MIN, Philly, NYY.

2012 - Rockies averaged just about 32,500 per game and were 13th in all of baseball. Teams above them: MIL, MIN, CHI, DET, BOS, LA, STL, SF, LAA, TEX, NYY, Philly.

2013 - Rockies averaged just about 34,500 per game and were 10th in all of baseball. Teams above them: BOS, LAA, Philly, DET, TEX, NYY, SF, LA, STL.

So each of the last 6 years, the Rockies have consistently been the upper half in attendance, and closer to the the top third in all of baseball. In that time, the Rockies have finished in 5th place twice, 4th place one, 3rd place twice and 2nd once. Not too bad if you ask me.

Now I won't pretend like the Rockies are in the same category as the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Cards etc. However, if the owners put the $ into the team like those teams did on a consistent basis, I have no doubts the Rockies could be a top 5 team in attendance yearly. Just look at the Rockies' attendance the team's first 10 years. They were consistently in the 40,000-50,000 per game.

The small market notion and the team is strapped philosophy is an absolute joke. Colorado has proven they will support baseball and in high numbers even when the team is ****. The attendance numbers are very comparable and even better than multiple "major" market teams. Not only that, the surrounding states of Colorado generally tend to be huge Rockies supporters. I know WY and Utah especially and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Now as far as the Monforts and the salary cap, it's true they're not the worst in the league. However, they've essentially paid a very small percentage of their players the majority of the cap and then fill the rest of the roster with washed up and bargain players. It's a little bit of an exaggeration, but the top 5 paid players do make more than half of the 96 mill cap.

And here's my final point in why it is indeed the Monfort's fault. Now you criticize the GM, coaching staff and manager. I think you're absolutely right in criticizing them. However, the Monforts are the ones that have and continue to employ every single one of these guys. Remember when O'Dowd pretty much tried to resign? Would've been tremendous. The Monforts wouldn't allow it and changed his title/role a bit and added Bill Geivett as a "co-GM". Very unorthodox and honestly is a joke. Even Fowler called them out on it. Same thing happened with pitching coach Bob Apodaca. He essentially resigned, but rather than walk away, he somehow found himself back as an assistant to O'Dowd in the minors for pitching. Even though the team wanted Tracy back, he didn't even want to cause he wasn't the "right" man for the job. Sounded to me like he was sick of the side circus show running the team. Dick Monfort was even quoted as saying that Dan O'Dowd was the best the GM that he knows and then quickly admitted he really doesn't know many of them. O'Dowd is easily one of the worst in baseball. How is that possible? The Rockies have sucked incredibly this last decade. There's no reason the Rockies shouldn't have a top farm system, while producing quality players. That's not the case. From the owners to the staff, the team is full of incompetence. The problem is the owners are satisfied with the incompetence because they have no serious intentions of building a good baseball team. They're more concerned with their little cash cow we call our baseball team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TprMike View Post
    Hey guys,

I rarely post on here, but I really enjoy reading the conversations about all different teams. I really think that the Rockies have a decent lineup. They've got a nice mixture of youth and experience, and have bats from both sides of the plate. They do have a severe lack of pitching talent and depth. While coaching might help, they really need to improve the quality of the pitchers they're bringing to Denver.

I agree with previous posters who complain about the Monforts and their desire for money vs. winning. Retaining O'Dud and his staff of drones is the big tell there. They want Chess pieces they can manipulate, not free thinking GM's like Andrew Friedman from TB or Billy Beane.

Most of all, I think the Rockies really miss the boat in their farm direction. They need to recruit a farm director and head scout who can put the Rockies in a position to have talent at their disposal when needed. Most notably young pitching. They need to put effort into draft planning every day of the year, so when the draft comes around they have a plan to sign quality players who have a chance to make a contribution at the major league level.

Anyway, it's still early on. Who knows what will happen.
    Agreed and feel free to post here any time.

vCash
    Maybe we get lucky and Monforts keep getting popped for duis (without hurting anyone of course) and they just sell the team (that keeps them here) It would be our luck they finally sell and they move somewhere else.

vCash
    I'm liking how our team is shaping up. Our hitters are Gold and looking like Morneau is going to be a steal and better offensively than Helton was last year. Our pitching if Del La Rosa can figure his stuff out and Lyles keeps his stuff up and Morales (gulp) can keep doing what he did last game. with Nicaso and Chacin and Chatwood i like it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast