Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Angels Sign Mike Trout to a 6 year $144.5M Extension

The Angels have officially announced agreement on a long-term extension with star outfielder Mike Trout. The deal covers six years and is worth $144.5MM. Trout receives a full no-trade clause.

The six-year pact will kick in for 2015 and will take Trout through his age-28 season in 2020, covering three arb-eligible seasons and three free agent seasons. It does not include any option years at the back end, meaning Trout now stands to hit the open market at age 29.

Surprisingly, this extension is not the largest total guarantee ever given to a player with between two and three years of service. That distinction still belongs to Buster Posey, who secured an eight-year, $159MM contract while also sacrificing an option year. Of course, Trout's deal is more favorable to the player on the whole, especially since he will have a chance to test the market at such a young age, and carries a greater average annual value.

But after establishing himself as the best player in the game today -- at just 22 years of age -- the natural inclination is to ask why he did not secure a larger guarantee. Set to break records in arbitration, Trout was already locked in for huge salaries given his unprecedented success. Dave Cameron of Fangraphs spitballed his three-year arb earnings at $60MM. If that is the case, then Trout sold his first three free agent years (in the peak prime of his career) at just around $85MM. That represents an incredible savings for an Angels team that can reasonably expect Trout to remain the game's most productive player over most (if not all) of the deal.
    Buys out 3 free agent years
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    Glad to see it get done. Looks like a good deal, I figured it would be just north of 150 mil.

vCash
    Congrats Angels from a Rangers fan. Looks like a hell of deal for Angels. Obviously the player wants to stay there hence what appears on the surface to be somewhat of a discount,

vCash
    Great deal for both parties! Highest paid arbitration eligible buyout and 3 years of who knows how inflated free agent years. I'm actually hoping this contract is front loaded, i havent seen the terms yet. Anyone know?

vCash
    According to Cots:

14: 1 MIL
    15: 5.25 MIL
    16: 15.25 MIL
    17: 19.25 MIL
    18: 33.25 MIL
    19: 33.25 MIL
    20: 33.25 MIL

So it is back-loaded which allows us to avoid carrying three 30 MIL players in 2016 and 2017 (Pujols and Hamilton being the other two).

vCash
    I can't believe he gave the angels 3 years, I would have been extatic for 2.

vCash
    Still he'll be only 29 when the contract runs out? He'll get one more big payday before he's done. Assuming he keeps up the production (and if not, then HE got 3yrs instead of 2!).

Great job all around...

...now can anyone tell me where everybody is? No new threads in a month??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JetRocketAngel View Post
    Still he'll be only 29 when the contract runs out? He'll get one more big payday before he's done. Assuming he keeps up the production (and if not, then HE got 3yrs instead of 2!).

Great job all around...

...now can anyone tell me where everybody is? No new threads in a month??
    I've never seen you post in here. But regarding your question.....there really isn't much that goes on in this forum. Not many people post in here which kinda sucks. Usually about the same 3 or 4 people.

vCash
    Hi,

I used to lurk here from about 2000 to 2006. Haven't been around much since then. RL in the way, i guess. Terrible excuse for not following the Angels, I know. ;(

I gotta admit, I'm a bit depressed about the Angels for the last 5 yrs or so. Outside of Trout and Weaver, there isn't much to be excited about. They seem to be in a rut. I don't know if it's the coach or management, but they just don't seem to have "it". (see: getting swept by the A's)

Anyway, I plan to be posting more. So, see you around.