Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Can Kaepernick/Gabbert be Montana/Young?

There are some interesting parallels between the situations. Montana was the guy in San Fran, and enjoying great team success at a time Steve Young was having a horrific first couple years of his NFL career in Tampa Bay. Matter of fact, Young's pre San Fran NFL career was worse than Gabbert's in every way. Lower winning percentage, lower completion rate, and lower passer rating. Along with a similar spate of injuries. Once he got to the west coast everything turned around for him, although it didn't happen immediately. Steve was probably better than Montana in the years they both played with the same team around them.

Biggest difference is that there was a larger age gap between Montana and Young (5 years) versus Kaepernick and Gabbert (2 years). Also the first set were both older when they became teammates, Montana was 31 and Young 26, I believe. Kaepernick and Gabbert are 26 and 24 respectively. Would be a great thing for the team if history happened to repeat itself.

vCash
    This has to be the dumbest thing ever posted on here. And there have been plenty of dumb **** said on here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJearthquakes21 View Post
    This has to be the dumbest thing ever posted on here. And there have been plenty of dumb **** said on here.
    What's your problem? This IS a 49ers board, the players I mentioned all played quarterback for the team. Montana was the starter, 30 years back or whatever, and the team was going to the SB. They brought in a talented younger guy from a Florida team who had had a tough time there and whose team was starting over with a different quarterback in the next draft. TBay traded Young and drafted Vinnie Testaverde in the next draft. Jax traded Gabbert and will probably draft a quarterback with their third overall pick this year.

Certainly there are a lot of parallels to this point, which is all I'm saying. Will Kaepernick and Gabbert both be HOF quarterbacks 30 years from now? Not likely, but I don't think too many people were thinking that Montana and Young would be back in the mid 1980s, either. Relax a bit. Kick your dog if you have to. Get the agression out.

vCash

Can Kaepernick/Gabbert be Montana/Young?

we can all dream

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lincecum=future View Post
    we can all dream
    Hey, I'm not betting any money on it. But there are some definite similarities in the two situations.

vCash
    Here is a bit from Steve Young's online bio that rings a familiar bell -

"Young signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1985 after being the first player selected in the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players. However, the Buccaneers posted 214 records in each of Young's two seasons with them, and Young's record as starter was 316. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes. Although his time in Tampa Bay was miserable, San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh was impressed by Young's natural abilities and felt that his problems were due to the struggling Bucs organization.".

vCash
    Gabbert completely blows. Kaepernick has potential for sure but I don't even seem him being top 5 in the NFL for a while.

vCash
    There is so much wrong with this.

#PoseyHugs #SanchezHugs

vCash
    The dumbest thread I've ever seen

''Sig by Johnle''

vCash
    It was going to be a long day already and now to read this.....dear god. The two situations are about .01% comparable. The only parallel is that Gabbert/Young were on bad teams in Florida. Beyond that, there is literally no way that Kap compares to Montana (he's not even "the guy" here yet) and no other way Gabbert compares to Young.

vCash
    Comparing Montana/Young to Kaepernick/Gabbert is like comparing Kate Upton's vagina to Oprah Winfreys ...

vCash
    I do love me some Alpha Dog. Wish he would post here more often.

Similarities, sure. Likelihood, unlikely.

IMO, there will never be as good of a QB tandem as Montana/Young. CK/Gabbert could never ever be either Montana or Young.

That's like asking me if anyone could ever be Rice. Not possible.

vCash
    Nutty...don't...please don't encourage him
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Oh man....

Maybe if they can get Scott Tolzien back (Montana).

Slap Hands!

vCash
    First off, this is one of the stupidest threads ever conceived. The day that Gabbert can be compared to either HOF former 49er QB is the day that Gumby walks up to me in person offering samples of legal marijuana. Kaepernick from a winning perspective has the intangibles to be among the best to ever play the position in our teams history. But there is not a chance on god's green Earth that Gabbert is even that much better than Elvis Grbac or Jeff Garcia. If he reached Garcia's level that would be amazing.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast