Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Would You Sign With A Rival For Less Money?

After the Miggy extension started bringing up what Trout would make on the open market, I started thinking about him signing with the Phillies since he was a fan of theirs growing up.

Then I started thinking, the Phillies (unless something drastic changes) aren't going to above mediocre for awhile, so would Trout risk signing with them even though it may be a childhood dream?

So my question is, you're a FA in your prime, you're off your arb eligible years and it's your first FA contract. You also weren't even in the playoffs with that team. You get offered a contract of say 10/250 (ends at age 38) from your childhood team but they aren't anywhere close to being ready to compete for at least 4+ years. You then get offered a 7/150 (ends at age 35) from a rival that you grew up hating but they are a young team in the middle of competing, just lost in the championship series the season before. These are the only two offers you got.

Who do you sign with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

vCash
    For me, it's actually tough. Winning is everything but as a Phillies fan, I don't know if I want to be remembered as the guy who turned down an offer from the Phillies to go on and win a WS with the Mets.

vCash
    From your example, it would be quite difficult to leave an extra 100 million dollars on the table. I guess state taxes are also a factor (deciphering between teams in states that may have it or not) and the fact that a player could still get another contract at 35 years old but the latter involves a lot of "ifs".

You would hope a team who is willing to invest 250 million dollars in you would also build a team around that type of talent. I guess Cano is a good example of that. Not that he signed with a rival but I'm sure he had things he liked about Seattle's direction besides the extra money.

Obviously both contracts are money your grandchildren could live on though.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-28-2014 at 03:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    From your example, it would be quite difficult to leave an extra 100 million dollars on the table. I guess state taxes are also a factor (deciphering between a team in a state that may have it or not) and the fact that a player could still get another contract at 35 years old but the latter involves a lot of "ifs".

You would hope a team who is willing to invest 250 million dollars in you would also build a team around that type of talent. I guess Cano is a good example of that. Not that he signed with a rival but I'm sure he had things he liked about Seattle's direction besides the extra money.

Obviously both contracts are money your grandchildren could live on though.
    Are you sure about that? It seemed like he was all about the money and made the Mariners outbid themselves several times before he signed. It's almost like he was waiting for the Yankees to jump in with a higher offer.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post
    Are you sure about that? It seemed like he was all about the money and made the Mariners outbid themselves several times before he signed. It's almost like he was waiting for the Yankees to jump in with a higher offer.
    I'm sure money was the primary factor but Seattle has some very solid young pieces (Miller, Seager, Paxton, Walker, Hernandez, Zunino, Peterson, Hultzen, etc) to build around. To me they could be a very solid team over the course of the next 2 years and have an extended run if they make the right moves.

I wasn't intending it to be specifically about Cano but he just popped into my mind because of Jerky's example in financial dichotomy between the contracts offered.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-27-2014 at 11:36 PM.

vCash
    I say this, completely blind because I don't know what it's like to have money like that. But if I'm still making over 100M and I'm going to a team that is in line to compete for titles? Yeah I'm going there. Money, and glory, always over more money and no glory. But again, blind, I'm upper middle class, I don't know where my ego would take me if I were a pursued athlete

PSD's 2011 Diva's Champion

vCash
    When it's your livelihood/career....then your fandom doesn't matter.

vCash
    If I was a giant I can PROMISE I wouldn't sign with the dodgers, my dad would boo me and yell "miss it" every ab against the giants.

If I was on another team like the Yankees I'd sign with the BoSox in a heartbeat

vCash
    Livelihood ends at 100M though. Especially since in every case, if you're that good, it's not the first multi million dollar deal you are receiving. What could you possibly do with 100M that you can't without 200M. I guarantee that every player in MLB is now better off than what they grew up with. But again, it comes down to morals vs ego. To me at least.

vCash
    The only way I would have to pause if I was say a guy chasing 2 year 6 mill deals and the dodgers went ape **** and offered me a mega deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I can't say that this is always the case. With me for example, as a baseball player growing up it was always a dream of mine to play specifically for the Phillies. Obviously I would play for any team that drafted me, however I think that dream of mine would always be in the back of my head for when I hit free agency.

Hypothetically if I have Mike Trout's talent and I'm in the same position he is in, and the Mets offer me 10/300 and the Phillies offer me 10/200, I still go to the Phillies. But that's only me, in my opinion when you make that much money there comes a point where it doesn't matter anymore. I'm going to be rich anyway, so my happiness and dreams would definitely come into play at that point.

THANK YOU DANNY B #48

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    After the Miggy extension started bringing up what Trout would make on the open market, I started thinking about him signing with the Phillies since he was a fan of theirs growing up.

Then I started thinking, the Phillies (unless something drastic changes) aren't going to above mediocre for awhile, so would Trout risk signing with them even though it may be a childhood dream?

So my question is, you're a FA in your prime, you're off your arb eligible years and it's your first FA contract. You also weren't even in the playoffs with that team. You get offered a contract of say 10/250 (ends at age 38) from your childhood team but they aren't anywhere close to being ready to compete for at least 4+ years. You then get offered a 7/150 (ends at age 35) from a rival that you grew up hating but they are a young team in the middle of competing, just lost in the championship series the season before. These are the only two offers you got.

Who do you sign with?
    Agree with Jeffy.
    You're asking me to make a business decision.

But, I'm not the kind of person who values money over experience. Now, I've never been offered millions of dollars but money has never really been the deciding factor in what opportunities I've pursued. I took a job making $500 a month because it gave me the opportunity to live in the caucaus.

Either way I'm going to make enough money to survive (since I can survive on $500 a month and either of those contacts would exceed that amount).

What I'd probably do is sign a 3-5 year deal with the rival team. That'd give me the experience of competing for, and hopefully winning, a World Series. Then, I'd be free to take another opportunity - perhaps with the team I rooted for as a child where I may have another opportunity to play for a world series.

vCash
    If I was good enough of a player to earn 10-15 in arbitration before hitting free agency, and then choosing a deal worth 200M from the Red Sox, or 100M from the Yankees, I'm taking the Yankees deal everytime. I was bred into Yankee fandom, it wasn't a sudden love for the team, I was brought to both Yankee and mets games as a young child, my parents (both Yankee fans from flushing, queens) gave me a chance to make the choice myself. My first game at Yankee stadium was Don Mattinglys last home game at the stadium in the first wild card series in 95, and I remember the drive there, the game, and the memory burns through me everyday. So to tell me to choose the Red Sox at 200M or the Yankees at 100M, I just don't see it, I really don't. There's too much love and history there to take a **** load of money, over a shitload of money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    this! once you make this a profession,childhood fandom takes a back seat,its your job now.its easy for everyone here to say they never would(as they will), because its so far removed from our reality that we stay in that fan mode(we simply cant realate).once its your job,the awe fades and your perceptions chance
    Last edited by abe_froman; 03-28-2014 at 02:15 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Either way I'm going to make enough money to survive (since I can survive on $500 a month and either of those contacts would exceed that amount).
    its not that cut and dry.as your wealth level changes/rises ,your lifestyle compensates for that ,so what you perceive as needing to "survive" chances(in this case much greater luxuries that you've become accustom to having as an everyday things)...its actually a fascinating psychological phenomenon that happens with humans

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast