Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Another embarrassment for the Coupons: they've lost Queens

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/queens-...than-the-mets/

The poll says 50 percent of fans in Queens are Yankees fans, while just 43 percent root for the Mets… in Queens… where Citi Field is located.

My hunch has always been that roughly 30 percent are Yankees fans, roughly 30 percent are Mets fans, and the middle 30 percent lean toward whichever team is more popular and fun to root for at that time…

For instance, in early 2007, this same poll about the World Series had the Yankees at 46 percent and the Mets at 40 percent, the closest it had ever been. However, since that point in time, the Mets have done serious damage to their brand, due to lackluster performances, an overwhelming number of demoralizing injuries or the countless bizarre off-field stories (from Maddoff to the The Tony B Shirt Incident to firing two managers to having their GM get in to a public dispute with a beat reporter). So, it should be of no surprise that the number look as they do today.

There are people who say, ‘New York is a National League town,’ and, ‘If the Mets win, those numbers will easily show it.’ However, at this point, I don’t know if that’s totally true anymore. It’s been a really, really long time since the Dodgers and Giants left for California, and a lot has happened in the Bronx, on TV and in marketing since the ’80s, when the Mets last ruled New York. There is an entire generation of New Yorkers who have seen nothing but the Yankees dominate baseball, financially and in October, who probably have no idea the Dodgers and Giants started in this town.

The point is, the Mets have a long way to go and it’s not just about wins. It’s about sustaining that success and rebuilding a brand that casual fans (as well as die-hards) can connect with, have fun and take pride in supporting. I think ownership being able to put the Maddoff litigation behind them has helped that, since it has allowed most fans to also turn the page, accept this team’s reality and look forward – and I think that has helped stabilize how other fans view the franchise as well.
    The hits keep on coming for the mighty Coupon family and their henchman Spindy, just not any hits on the field.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    This will continue until the Mets start winning. The plan to build a winner for the longterm is a good one.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    This will continue until the Mets start winning. The plan is a good one.
    ^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    This will continue until the Mets start winning. The plan to build a winner for the longterm is a good one.
    As long as the Mets don't give away these arms, and if they spend on bats, we can have a good 8-10 year streak of contention. Lets hope nothing messes it up.

vCash
    My hunch has always been that roughly 30 percent are Yankees fans, roughly 30 percent are Mets fans, and the middle 30 percent lean toward whichever team is more popular and fun to root for at that time…
    That hunch is absolutely correct. I've always felt there were an even number of true fans on both sides with the middle third gravitating to the team du jour.

The Mets problem is that the team du jour for the better part of the last 50 years has been the Yankees with the occasional exception.

But on those exceptions, when the Mets were up and the Yankees down, this was a MET town, no two ways about it. I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Happy Days will be here again.

I just don't know when.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Do you guys even read the articles before you post troll threads like this?

For instance, in early 2007, this same poll about the World Series had the Yankees at 46 percent and the Mets at 40 percent, the closest it had ever been.

vCash
    When you use stuff like this to complain about the Wilpons, you basically hurt your own cause because of how absurd it looks.

The Yankees have basically been in the playoffs non-stop since 1995. They've won 5 World Series in that time. They have been blessed with iconic all time players in the same period like Jeter and Mariano.

Do you really think that anything the Mets could have done in that period would have changed the observations above? No other team in baseball comes close to that level of achievement. It's absurd to hold the Wilpons accountable for the Mets not acquiring as many fans as the best team in baseball by a country mile during that period.

The Wilpons deserve criticism for lots of things. But this is not one of them.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    When you use stuff like this to complain about the Wilpons, you basically hurt your own cause because of how absurd it looks.

The Yankees have basically been in the playoffs non-stop since 1995. They've won 5 World Series in that time. They have been blessed with iconic all time players in the same period like Jeter and Mariano.

Do you really think that anything the Mets could have done in that period would have changed the observations above? No other team in baseball comes close to that level of achievement. It's absurd to hold the Wilpons accountable for the Mets not acquiring as many fans as the best team in baseball by a country mile during that period.

The Wilpons deserve criticism for lots of things. But this is not one of them.
    Not exactly. They still deserve to be held accountable.

The Yankees success notwithstanding, the Wilpons have done a very poor job of running this team, almost from the moment Fred started to have a say in things, going back to December 1986. You have to wonder if the Yankee-Met split wouldn't be a heck of a lot closer to 50-50 if Nelson were still holding the purse strings all this time.

Even if the Yankees were winning all those titles, they wouldn't have had the town all to themselves if the Mets were still holding their own, staying in the thick of pennant races, regardless of whether they were winning them or not.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 03-27-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Not exactly. They still deserve to be held accountable.

The Yankees success notwithstanding, the Wilpons have done a very poor job of running this team, almost from the moment Fred started to have a say in things, going back to December 1986. You have to wonder if the Yankee-Met split wouldn't be a heck of a lot closer to 50-50 if Nelson were still holding the purse strings all this time.

Even if the Yankees were winning all those titles, they wouldn't have had the town all to themselves if the Mets were still holding their own, staying in the thick of pennant races, regardless of whether they were winning them or not.
    And why is that? Why do you believe it would be different? Discuss...
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash

Another embarrassment for the Coupons: they've lost Queens

Wilpon ownership has been a disaster, one embarrassment after another. It's not even close to being debatable. They make Lurie look good.

-Stork

vCash
    Exactly what is the plan? Oh I know see if they can have a salary cap less than the KC Royals, wait maybe send down young exciting ball player so in the future they don't have to pay them right away, no wait maybe to see if they can play with only 8 player because I don't see a major league SS out there. Or maybe the plan is telling your fans will win 90 games when they know the best this team can do is win MAYBE 75- 80 games or heck just wait to next year Harvey will be back, we won't spend any money cause getting Harvey back will be kinda like getting a free agent.So whats the good plan? What is it you like?

vCash
    And why is that? Why do you believe it would be different? Discuss...
    Let's just say a lot of strange things started happening once Fred became an equal partner, things that i wonder whether they would have happened if Fred didn't have any influence as as the case from 1980-86.

Can I prove it? No.

Purely speculation? Sure.

Circumstantial evidence? Absolutely.

But it remains my opinion nonetheless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by playD View Post
    Exactly what is the plan? Oh I know see if they can have a salary cap less than the KC Royals, wait maybe send down young exciting ball player so in the future they don't have to pay them right away, no wait maybe to see if they can play with only 8 player because I don't see a major league SS out there. Or maybe the plan is telling your fans will win 90 games when they know the best this team can do is win MAYBE 75- 80 games or heck just wait to next year Harvey will be back, we won't spend any money cause getting Harvey back will be kinda like getting a free agent.So whats the good plan? What is it you like?
    I think the "sustainable winning" thing is a bad label.

At any point you have players in your system that won't play in the majors for 3-4 years or sometimes more. With the way players progress there are a few ways to stack your assets in 1 year, like shelling out big bucks to older players or trading your minor leaguers for big leaguers.

I think this is the first time we have a 3-4 year focus at all times. That doesn't mean never trading your prospects or never spending money, it means guarding your assets and making sure you're getting bang for your buck, not mortgaging the future.

The team he inherited was broken to the point it took 3 years to break it down. I don't think its hard to see the team went out and spent money to bring in players this year. What we have now is a good farm system. This year will not be defined by how much money they spend, it will be defined by TDA, Wheeler, Noah, Montero, Flores... and Ike and Tejada.

This is why I don't want to get caught up in BUT WHEN WILL WE WIN? I don't know. If you can't develop players you can't win if you spend anyway.

vCash
    The Coupons were a mess long before this article and thread. And for much bigger reasons then how many people in Queens like the Mets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Wilpon ownership has been a disaster, one embarrassment after another. It's not even close to being debatable. They make Lurie look good.

-Stork
    You posted nothing to support...

You have to wonder if the Yankee-Met split wouldn't be a heck of a lot closer to 50-50 if Nelson were still holding the purse strings all this time.
    Try again?
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast