@

Philadelphia 76ers - Houston Rockets

Date: Thursday, March 27th, 2014
    Time: 8:00 PM EDT
    Broadcast: CSN (TV), 97.5 FM (Radio)

Points per Game Assists per Game Rebounds per Game
    Sixers Young 18.0 MCW 6.2 Sims 7.0
    Rockets Harden 24.9 Harden 5.7 Howard 12.3

They are a loss away from becoming the Philadelphia 26ers.

As in, losers of 26 in a row.

A skid that would match the longest losing streak in NBA history and leave the 76ers one loss of holding the record for the four major professional sports.

"It's tough we lose them consecutively, but it's the NBA," guard Tony Wroten said. "You play another day."

With a another loss Thursday night at Houston, the Sixers (15-56) will tie the NBA record of 26 straight losses set by the 2010-11 Cleveland Cavaliers. The potential record setter is Saturday at home against Detroit.

But the 76ers say this seemingly infinite skid comes with a purpose: Finishing first.

Philadelphia is losing to win the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft.

Former Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy is among the critics that call Philly's style of lottery-bound losing tanking. Sixers management simply says it's old-fashioned rebuilding. Whatever the label, the team with the worst record in the NBA has a 25 percent chance of winning the No. 1 overall pick.

But there's a flaw in the Sixers' plan: Even with the avalanche of defeats, they still don't have the worst record in the NBA, Milwaukee does. Entering Thursday, the Bucks are 13-58 and that puts them in the driver's seat as they plummet toward the top spot.

The Bucks may be serving as motivation for the Sixers; there's no suspense these days in the outcome of Philadelphia games. The Sixers been outscored by 16.9 points during the losing streak; Cleveland was outscored by 13.7 while setting the record.

Philadelphia coach Brett Brown said the Sixers will be better off as a result of the losing.

"It's those short-term, real pains for what we hope will be a bunch of long-term gains," Brown said. "This period of time is not pleasant for any of us. But it's necessary."

The Rockets (48-22) haven't fallen to a team with a losing record since Jan. 10 at Atlanta, and they've won four straight heading into this matchup -- all against teams .500 or worse.

Houston has shot 52.9 percent in that stretch -- 42.4 percent from 3-point range -- and now heads home, where it hasn't lost since Jan. 24 and has won its past 10 games by an average of 13.9 points.

"We just want to prepare for the playoffs," James Harden said after scoring 31 points in Monday's 100-89 win at Charlotte. "Our entire game needs to go to another level, defensively and offensively. Being consistent with sharing the basketball, and defensively, being consistent with helping each other out."

Harden sat out with a bruised left foot when the Rockets visited Philadelphia on Nov. 13, and his absence was felt as the 76ers came from 10 down after the third quarter to win 123-117 in overtime.

Jeremy Lin had 34 points and eight assists for Houston, but Philadelphia's starting backcourt was even better. James Anderson scored 36 points -- the only time in his career he's topped 20 -- and Wroten recorded his only career triple-double with 18 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds.

That was the last victory in Philadelphia's surprising 4-4 start, and now the Sixers haven't won since Jan. 29 on former guard Evan Turner's buzzer-beater at Boston. They've been crushed (123-78 by the Clippers and 123-80 by Golden State in consecutive games) and had a few close calls (losing 93-92 to the Knicks). And this week they were called out by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, who said the losing streak was "bad for everyone."

The 76ers went 0 for February. Lose to the Rockets and they'll be two away from 0 for March.
    Injury Report:

Philadelphia:
    Tony Wroten, G: Doubtful (ankle)
    Jason Richardson, G: Out (knee)
    Nerlens Noel, C: Out (knee)

Houston:
    Dwight Howard, C: Probable (knee)
    Francisco Garcia, G: Questionable (personal)
    Greg Smith, F: Out (knee)

vCash
    James anderson was turnt up tonight. Thats that stroke i been waiting to see. I hope he can become more consistent because having a shooter like that will be valuable to our team during this rebuilding process

vCash
    Brett Brown pretty much saying yeah were tanking its obvious guys said look at our roster look at our pay roll we are clearly building for the future...wow he is tired of losing its obvious

vCash
    ^Yeah, I feel bad for Brown, it has to be tough coaching a team that you know can't win. I like him though, and I think he will be good once we get some talent here.

vCash
    Brett brown will feel alot better nxt season once he gets mcw wiggins and noel on the court together plus all the other talent we will have.

vCash
    Let's hope. A lot of luck will have to come into play to get Wiggins.

vCash
    Whether its wiggins parker or randle or even embid this team with all the draft picks will have plenty talent to win some games next year. I actually think with the team flooded with rookies and a 2nd year mcw will be a 7th or 8th seed in the east next year which will be great experience for the young fellas.

vCash
    We really have to see how the offseason plays out first with possible trades and free agency to say anything with certainty, but I really disagree. Even with MCW's growth and adding Noel and a Wiggins/Parker/Randle to the mix, I don't think this team is sniffing the playoffs next season. Even in the lowly East.

We'll be better for sure, but unless we add some quality vets, I just don't see it. And if we hover around the salary cap floor again, definitely not. We have soooooo far to go in terms of maturity, chemistry, consistency, defense, and taking care of the ball before resembling anything close to a playoff caliber team. Hell, we don't even know if Thad is gonna be back. We might deal him on draft night if we can get a 1st round pick. We could actually blow this thing up even more if it comes to that.

I mean, we're probably going to end the year on a 36 game losing streak. It's the worst roster of all time. To have 7th or 8th seed playoff hopes starting next season because we're adding a few more rookies to what is already the youngest team of all time is bold to say the least.
    Last edited by sixer04fan; 03-28-2014 at 12:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sixer04fan View Post
    We really have to see how the offseason plays out first with possible trades and free agency to say anything with certainty, but I really disagree. Even with MCW's growth and adding Noel and a Wiggins/Parker/Randle to the mix, I don't think this team is sniffing the playoffs next season. Even in the lowly East.

We'll be better for sure, but unless we add some quality vets, I just don't see it. And if we hover around the salary cap floor again, definitely not. We have soooooo far to go in terms of maturity, chemistry, consistency, defense, and taking care of the ball before resembling anything close to a playoff caliber team. Hell, we don't even know if Thad is gonna be back. We might deal him on draft night if we can get a 1st round pick. We could actually blow this thing up even more if it comes to that.
    Is that even possible? This roster is as bare bones as you can possibly get right now. I shutter to think what could be worse. As far as making the playoffs next year that might actually be a negative because we would lose our first round pick and it would go to the Celtics of all teams. I believe in year 3 is when we really start seeing dividends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy553 View Post
    Is that even possible? This roster is as bare bones as you can possibly get right now. I shutter to think what could be worse.
    What I mean by "blowing it up even more" is if we trade Thad for a draft pick (2014 or future) or package him to move up in the draft. He's the only vet we have and he's obviously not a permanent fixture on the team. Maybe we keep him, maybe we don't. But if we trade him for what results in another rookie coming in, it's certainly not gonna make us immediately better.

vCash
    But we have to see. Not trying to sound like I know what's gonna happen. We have a lot of cap space and flexibility to make some drastic and immediate improvements, so we'll see.

I expect us to stick to the plan, build around the rookies/sophs next year while continuing to take our licks in the standings. But I don't know what we'll do. Just a guess

vCash
    Yeah makes sense. I've thought all along that this was a 3 year re-build at minimum. We won't really see this team competing even for a playoff spot in my opinion until the 2015-2016 season. By then this team could potentially be stacked with talent though.

vCash
    Sixer fan calling for the double tank. Double tank! DOUBLE TANK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy553 View Post
    Yeah makes sense. I've thought all along that this was a 3 year re-build at minimum. We won't really see this team competing even for a playoff spot in my opinion until the 2015-2016 season. By then this team could potentially be stacked with talent though.
    Agreed. And that's if everything goes basically perfect in terms of draft picks and development. For example - It took Lebron and KD until their 3rd seasons to even make the playoffs (along with the addition of Westbrook/Harden for KD). And until their 4th seasons for their teams to become contenders. And those are arguably two of the best players of a generation.

We have a chance to have a ton of young good talent (MCW, Noel, 2014 picks) that can develop chemistry and mature together at the same time, so that's a major plus. But there's no guarantees any of them get close to the level of someone like Lebron/KD. They're such rare players. Like Wiggins - Could be a superstar. Could be a Gerald Green or Rudy Gay. It's gonna take some time even in a best case scenario.

Other serious contending teams were able to land an established superstar via FA or trade while having good young all star talent on the rise too. Like Howard to Houston with Harden/Parsons or Paul to LAC with Blake. So with our cap flexibility, that's obviously a consideration. Kevin Love 2015? Or hell, Durant 2016 anyone? Haha that's be sick. But again, probably gonna take a few years to get there. Even just the playoffs.

vCash
    I'm just really excited to see this all come to fruition. Maybe 3-5 years from now we're that next great team in the NBA. It's gonna be so sick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast