Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: True or False, if Miami threepeat, they're one of the top 5 teams of all time.

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • True. They will be one of the top 5 teams, all time. IF they threepeat.

26 41.94%
  • False. They will not be one of the top 5 teams, all time. Even if they do threepeat.

30 48.39%
  • This forum needs more Houston v Golden State threads.

6 9.68%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

True or False, IF Miami threepeat, they're one of the the top 5 teams all time.

Pretty simple.

People don't quite seem to realise how rare a threepeat is and how difficult it is too pull off (or they don't let on that they do).

Only a handful of teams have managed this, the Lakers back in Minneapolis, the Boston Celtics (8-peat) Russell/Cousy era, the Bulls Jordan/Pippen era and the Lakers again, in L.A Shaq/Kobe era.

If Miami join this elite group, will you consider them a top 4/5 team all time? Will the Lebron/Wade era be regarded as the same level as Russell/Cousy, Jordan/Pippen, Shaq/Kobe?

vCash
    I would honestly have to go back and look up these other teams and think about it. But off the top of my head the Lakers/Bulls/Boston would all be ahead of them. Could even make a case for the Spurs who might not have 3peated, but have been a dynasty for like 12 years.

vCash
    Jordan's Bulls, Shaq and Kobe's Lakers, a Celtics dynasty and then the Spurs this past 15 years are all better. But they can make the 5th spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Jordan's Bulls, Shaq and Kobe's Lakers, a Celtics dynasty and then the Spurs this past 15 years are all better. But they can make the 5th spot.
    So the answer for you is True, they are one of the top 5 teams of all time if they threepeat?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I'd also definitely add to them the Showtime Lakers and late 80's Celtics. Like the early Spurs and Shaq/Kobe Lakers, they took bites from each others dominance.

Miami simply isn't as good and doesn't have the relative dominance of these squads (I mean realistically that was what, the 7th or 8th best Spurs team of the past 13 years who nearly took them out in the Finals?). A 3 peat would be amazing and easily put them in the top 10 squads of all time, though.

vCash
    I may be alone in thinking this but I really don't put a huge amount of value in the championships that were won in the 50's/60's considering there were only 8/9 teams in the league and you only had to win 10 games in the playoffs for the title.

Bill Russell's 11 rings obviously can't be ignored but it will never be matched because it's not that easy anymore.

vCash
    I wouldn't put them higher than the Warriors(2012-2014).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FraziersKnicks View Post
    I may be alone in thinking this but I really don't put a huge amount of value in the championships that were won in the 50's/60's considering there were only 8/9 teams in the league and you only had to win 10 games in the playoffs for the title.

Bill Russell's 11 rings obviously can't be ignored but it will never be matched because it's not that easy anymore.
    ?

You're definitely in the majority in that line of thinking... to the point where I think those chips and that dynasty has now been brushed off and underrated. Overly stacked they may have been (in a league where yes there were far less teams, but also realize that the talent was saturated and there were no gimme teams relative to the Sixers/Bucks/Jazz, etc back then), but that doesn't take away from their dominance as a team - it enhances it.

If you're just talking about which squad could beat another, I think we're having a different discussion and in that case it's fair to argue this Miami squad over them. The others, though (2000's Lakers, 80's Lakers, 80's Celtics, 90's Bulls, 2000's Spurs), I'm pretty confidant would all beat this Miami squad.

vCash
    3peating would put them into the top 5 stratosphere. I wouldn't say Top 5 teams, but that just coincides with a single year. Top 5 dynasty for sure.

But they don't compare to Jordan/Pippen until they get #5 or #6 or Russell's Celtics. If they win this year, they in my eyes are equal to the Kobe/Shaq era. 3 finals wins, 1 loss.

vCash
    Probably on the cusp. Top 10 for sure, maybe not quite top 5, or bubble at best.

I'd need to see one more run to the Finals after this year before I'd stick them in the top 5. They wouldn't even have to win another chip. Another season or two of Finals contention would do it in my mind since pretty much anything can happen in the finals.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    They weren't dominate enough and barely squeaked by too many playoff series. Top 5 teams of all time are the teams that nearly sweep through the playoffs and dominate everything in sight. Not to mention, teams that didn't have the luxury of playing in one of the weakest conferences in NBA history.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    somewhere in that mix of course. top 5, i dont know bc i wasnt alive to see the minneapolis lakers, showtime lakers, 8peat celtics. but yes, they are definitely in the mix.

i voted for more GS/HOU threads though
    7 Rec, 69 YD, 1TD

vCash
    Miami hasn't had a worthy rival in the East since they have been together, but they still let teams like broken down Boston and 49 win Indiana take them to the brink.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    3 peat is a 3 peat either way you look at it. Even as a big Bulls fans who've watched the Heat beat a team starting Lucas and Belinelli in the backcourt, you can't just dismiss how big of an accomplishment it is because of not having a worthy rival. They've been taken to the brink by some very good teams, championship teams, and in this scenario they will have gone 3 years without losing any of those series anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FraziersKnicks View Post

If you want to play that game.... The Heat play in possibly the worst conference (nevermind division) of all time in all major sports. There is only one other good team in the Eastern conference. Talk about sleepwalking to the Finals
    UNC players with NBA Rings - 14

Duke players with NBA Rings - 3

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast