Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Peyton Manning got "Talked Into" Accepting a Higher Salary than Tom Brady

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish...illions-salary

In this era of supersize contracts and supersize egos, rare is it the case that a player refuses to accept more money than he thinks he's worth.

As if Peyton Manning hasn't already carved out his place as one of the classiest pros around, a new story regarding his salary negotiations should reinforce his stellar reputation.

Manning's agent, Tom Condon, relayed to Andrew Brandt of MMQB a fascinating and revealing tale about Manning's free agency two years ago.

Manning, you'll remember, had missed the 2011 season after undergoing career-threatening neck surgery. Even he wasn't sure how his body would respond on the gridiron. Still, the four-time NFL MVP had plenty of suitors, and after selecting Denver he was in for a mega-deal. Condon thought Manning could command $25 million a year, making him one of the highest paid athletes in the world. Manning, however, had other plans.

He asked Condon how much Tom Brady made, and when Condon told him the Patriots' signal-caller banked $18 million a year, Manning said that would suffice.

“I don’t want to make a penny more than that," Manning said.

The Broncos offered $19.4 million, and when Condon told Manning the quarterback wasn't too happy.

“I told you I didn’t want to make more than Brady!” Manning chirped.

Condon apologized and asked to speak with Manning's wife, who ultimately coaxed him into accepting the deal.

Even though it was a reduction in salary from his deal with the Colts, in which Manning made $26.4 million in his first year, Manning didn't want to burden the Broncos with a huge deal. He wasn't sure how his neck would fare, so he was completely open with the team.

“They’ve got to be protected,” Manning told The Denver Post in March 2012. “That's why the whole medical -- I was as open book as I could be. I told them exactly how I feel, what I was working on. They have to know everything to make their decision."

As it turns out, the deal has worked out pretty well for both sides. Manning has racked up 26 wins in his first two seasons with the Broncos, taking Denver to the Super Bowl in 2014. He was named NFL MVP in 2013 season after setting the single-season record for most touchdown passes with 55. (Brady had set the mark of 50 in 2007.)
    Talk About Class.....

vCash
    When you're already set for life, taking a less than 10% pay cut isn't exactly all that special.

vCash
    I wouldnt be upset with only making 19 million dollars a year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    When you're already set for life, taking a less than 10% pay cut isn't exactly all that special.
    I don't think it's the pay cut as much as the respect he has for Brady. That speaks volumes more than the difference between 18MM and 19.4MM.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basch152:28219145
    I'm sorry but taking less money no matter how much it is, is a nice gesture. That's over 1 million dollars he wanted to give up. No matter what that's a lot of money.
    TWINSIES!!

vCash
    I'm about as big of a Manning supporter as there is, but I have serious doubts about this. I think Condon just wanted to tell a story that made him look good. After all, if this was really so important to Manning, he wouldn't have been talked into accepting more money, he just would've told the Broncos to give him less. It's not like the Broncos would've declined that. And besides, if this were true, wouldn't Manning have taken a pay cut when Brady did? Or at least one this year to bring him closer to Brady, especially with all of the money his team has been spending? Again, I love Manning to death. I'm literally writing a book about him (I'm a sports writer), and I'll always defend him as the greatest quarterback of all time and better than Brady. I just don't believe that this specific story is true.
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    I'm about as big of a Manning supporter as there is, but I have serious doubts about this. I think Condon just wanted to tell a story that made him look good. After all, if this was really so important to Manning, he wouldn't have been talked into accepting more money, he just would've told the Broncos to give him less. It's not like the Broncos would've declined that. And besides, if this were true, wouldn't Manning have taken a pay cut when Brady did? Or at least one this year to bring him closer to Brady, especially with all of the money his team has been spending? Again, I love Manning to death. I'm literally writing a book about him (I'm a sports writer), and I'll always defend him as the greatest quarterback of all time and better than Brady. I just don't believe that this specific story is true.
    Exactly

PSD's Shane Vereen.

vCash
    LOL I love Peyton but this is a stupid story. What a generous guy, he only wanted to make $18M instead of $19M.

vCash
    What does he need 18 million a year when hes getting crazy money form papa johns, nestle, direct tv, and the money he made off the colts? Seriously hes a great QB but come on man!
    Trick or Treat

vCash
    I kinda chuckled as I was reading the article.

"How much money?"

"18 million"

"That is sufficient."

18 million ****ing dollars, and they're just nonchalantly talking about it as if it's pocket change. I know the writer of the article wasn't directly quoting a conversation, but I like to think that is how it went down.

vCash
    Him making $18 million/year instead of $19.4 million/year is inconsequential to the Broncos. It's not like he was offering to take a paycut that offered them any sore of material added flexibility. It was just offered for the sake of being lower than Brady. Either 1.) he has tremendous respect for Brady and as a matter of principle felt that he shouldn't make more than him coming off a neck injury or 2.) he's jealous of Brady getting all the stories written about him taking less for the team every contract negotiation and wanted in on some of that good press himself. If it's choice #1, that's pretty admirable. If it's choice #2, he's an egomaniac rather than the selfless guy his agent is trying to portray him as.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    But he didn't see his nephew/niece for like 7 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To some, he was just a boy. A boy who played football, a football player that grew to be a man. A man that took over a city, a city that he made his own, a city that stands behind him in hopes of becoming one of that cities all-time greats. To some, 2013 was a fluke. To some, he can't do it again. To some, he got lucky.

To us though, to the Philly faithful, that QB is Nick Foles. To us, that's our QB.

vCash
    Curious question...can the players union step in if he were to say take a $10million salary? Sort of like when ARod wanted to go to Boston for less money than what the Yankees had offered. For a guy like Peyton...he has all the money he'll ever need and we know he has it invested smartly you would think he would take a reduced salary to get 1 if not 2 more rings to secure his legacy.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Curious question...can the players union step in if he were to say take a $10million salary? Sort of like when ARod wanted to go to Boston for less money than what the Yankees had offered. For a guy like Peyton...he has all the money he'll ever need and we know he has it invested smartly you would think he would take a reduced salary to get 1 if not 2 more rings to secure his legacy.
    A-Rod was already under contract and wanted to take a pay cut from his current deal to help facilitate a trade. I've never heard of an MLB player doing that and IDK if it's even allowed in their CBA to renegotiate an existing deal. Totally different situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    I'm sorry but taking less money no matter how much it is, is a nice gesture. That's over 1 million dollars he wanted to give up. No matter what that's a lot of money.
    a nice gesture would be mandating that money go to charity or something. it means very little when a mutli-millionaire takes a million or so less.

if he really was trying to help the broncos, why not take like 10 mil? a team could do a lot around him towards a superbowl with that extra money.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast