Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

McCarthy: Bulaga's at RT, but we're seeking a center

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy talked about his team over lunch with Wisconsin media members at the NFL annual meeting on Tuesday. Here are some of the highlights:

♦ Bryan Bulaga will move back to right tackle, David Bakhtiari will stay at left tackle, and Derek Sherrod will be a swing tackle but start out on the left side. McCarthy said Bulaga has more experience at right tackle than anywhere else. He also likes how Bakhtiari and left guard Josh Sitton worked together last season.

♦ The starting center position is up in the air after the departure of Evan Dietrich-Smith to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in free agency, but McCarthy is high on second-year pro JC Tretter, who missed almost all of last season with a broken ankle. Tretter, Don Barclay, T.J. Lang and Sitton were named as potential candidates at center.

♦ McCarthy would like to have quarterback Matt Flynn back as Aaron Rodgersí backup. He said he has great admiration and respect for the job Flynn did last year. In a perfect world, McCarthy would like to have three quarterbacks on the 53-man roster and another on the practice squad.

♦ Newly signed Julius Peppers will be used in an elephant-type role as an outside linebacker and defensive lineman. McCarthy considers the Packers a 3-4 team, but they will run a lot of sub-packages, and Peppers will be a key part of that mix.

♦ Second-year defensive back Micah Hyde could be used in a variety of ways -- including safety, slot cornerback, dime back Ė in an effort to make him an every-down player.

♦ Defensive tackle B.J. Raji will play over center in a role that is tailor-made for him. McCarthy said he wants to ďcut him loose.Ē One factor that attracted Raji to return to Green Bay for at least one more season is moving back to a more natural position over center.

♦ Newly-signed free-agent defensive tackle Latroy Guion has been impressive in past games against the Packers.

♦ McCarthy would like to see defensive tackle Johnny Jolly return. "He gave us every inch he had" is how McCarthy described Jolly, who hasnít been medically cleared yet to play after a neck injury.

♦ McCarthy hasnít ruled out the return of defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, and will take a wait-and-see approach on that.

♦ Tight end Jermichael Finley is in great shape but hasnít been medically cleared to play.

♦ McCarthy is expecting bigger things from defensive end Datone Jones in his second season. Jonesí ankle injury during in training camp was worse than the Packers originally thought.

♦ On the departure of Dietrich-Smith, McCarthy said "we didnít get to the right spot with him." He said he is proud of Dietrich-Smith and expects him to make an impact in Tampa Bay. McCarthy admitted having four different starting centers in the past four years is a challenge.

♦ McCarthy said linebacker Clay Matthews' twice-broken right thumb should be fine and he doesn't expect any complications.
    http://www.packersnews.com/article/2...seeking-center

Sounds like MM is favoring Bahk at LT over Sherrod, to start with anyways. As long as Tretter can step up and fill the center position then i like the looks of our OL.

There you go thumper

vCash
    I'm happy about the fact that our defense will be much stronger because of how they going to utilize different players still wondering about the safety situation surprised they haven't looked at one yet.
    Tag Team Champion for the moment.

vCash
    Gotta be Tretter
    I guess he figured he had to mention Sitton and Lang...but don't see much of a chance for either of them to move.

vCash
    Doubt Sitton and Lang move.. Guess Trettor it is even tho he was hurt all yr.. Hope they find another good OL in the middle to late rounds to compete with Trettor and use as depth or whatever..

Here's something on Trettor from December..

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...234857661.html
    Last edited by dcenate05050; 03-25-2014 at 08:32 PM.

vCash
    I think our Defense is going to surprise a lot of people this coming season.

Bdawk4prez owns me.

vCash

vCash
    I'm guessing expectations for Sherrod aren't terribly high after his injury. Guess if he can be a solid, dependable backup that can step in for a game or two or be a part of a rotation to keep guys fresh, we'll take it.

vCash
    I am sure if Sherrod outshines Bahk in training camp and preseason they will give him the spot. Bahk earned the right to go into OTA's and training camp as the starter but that doesn't mean Sherrod can't knock him off.

There you go thumper

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    I am sure if Sherrod outshines Bahk in training camp and preseason they will give him the spot. Bahk earned the right to go into OTA's and training camp as the starter but that doesn't mean Sherrod can't knock him off.
    Its been so long on Sherrod that I'd honestly be happy with him playing well enough to stick around for the foreseeable future as a quality backup- not another newhouse, but a decent backup that isn't going to make you cringe when you hear his name on TV.

If he can be more than that, great. If not, thats ok too.

vCash
    Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 5m
    McCarthy: "Frankly the experience of losing Aaron last year has helped the development of our run game." #Packers

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 6m
    McCarthy on Shields: Calls him an ascending player. "Sam deserved that contact and I'm glad we got it done." #Packers

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 24m
    More McCarthy on Capers; "He's definitely the right man for the job."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 24m
    MM: "Dom Capers has the toughest job on our staff. Anytime you're a coordinator for a coach predominantly on the other side of the ball ..."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 28m
    McCarthy on Incognito/Martin: "If something like that can happen to Joe Philbin, it can happen to any of us. It's a hard, hard lesson."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 33m
    That said, McCarthy doesn't sound like he's giving play-calling up. "I"m going to call 'em this year," he says with a smile. #Packers

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 34m
    McCarthy on if he'd ever give up play-calling: "I think about it. I go through an evaluation period after every season." #Packers

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 38m
    McCarthy on Brandon Bostick: "He was, in my opinion, our best blocker [at tight end].."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 39m
    McCarthy on Quarless: "We feel he has a chance to get all the way back and is still a young, ascending player." #Packers

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 42m
    McCarthy talking at length about Raji. "We're going to have some functional changes in how we utilize our defensive front."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 47m
    Boykin: "I can't say enough about Boykin. The young man is a heck of a player. He's done it the right way."
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 47m
    McCarthy on Jones: "James was one of our core players. I think the opportunity to go home in a sense is a good thing for him personally."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 49m
    McCarthy says Nick Perry is clearly more comfortable on the right side and #Packers must "pay attention to" that.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 51m
    McCarthy: "Going all the way back to Carolina, [Peppers] always dropped in fire zones. He has the ability to play on the move."

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde
    Tag Team Champion for the moment.

vCash
    I love that Peppers will at the elephant spot. Nick Perry should learn a lot from him. And I'm happy Bahk will come in as our starting LT, I really think he will develop into a pretty good player.

vCash
    Agreed. Well written.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    I agree with this and I hope it happens.

vCash
    serisouoy. no one's job is safe now that is going to be in an upcoming position battle. who is the starter now means nothing, the player with the best showing will be taking the spot
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    For the first time in quite a few years I actually feel really good about our personnel on the o-line as it currently is, despite our gap at center. We already have solid competition (Bulaga, Sherrod, Bahk and Barclay) or starters (Sitton, Lang) at the other 4 positions, and we still have the draft and a couple weeks of free agency left. Whoever emerges from the tackle position battles will have to have earned the starting spot and fight to keep it.

Moving Bulaga back to RT makes sense considering Bahk's relatively successful year and Bulaga's limited work at the LT position.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/20...-bears-in-2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast