Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Free Agency thread 2.0

Last one reached 1K. Continue the discussion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briz almighty View Post
    why did we trade for blount in the first place?
    A 7th round pick and a guy that would rather run in spandex - hardly a gold mine.

we needed better talent. why let that talent go and pay less for guys not going to get it done for you.
    How do you know that they won't get it done, or that BB is trying to get Blount to sign for the price he feels is fair?

maybe blount is looking for a longterm big deal i dunno. but it makes no sense to let him go if hes going to be reasonably priced.
    Nobody here knows the answer to either, so what's the problem?

we've taken that committe type aproach with rbs ad it doesnt get it done you need talent.
    RB's will always be a secondary concern here while Brady is the QB and/or the rules favor passing so much, it's unwise to spend too much on a running game with an OL that's a pass protect first and run sometimes unit.

we did it with wrs until it was time to get some talent at wr. committe aproach never works you need talent.
    Disagree, with the cap you can't afford stars at every position, or group. RB's are clearly a secondary priority. With Brady getting older, amping up the budget by 10-20% might be a good idea, but bringing in 2-3-4M per year guys - **** no.

look at the center position, koppen was horrible the last few years he was with us and we ignored drafting a center in the draft, we let him walk and replaced him with low tier talented undrafted free agents or low draft picks. after a few years its come to the point that center is a glaring problem and we needed better talent,
    In 2012 the kid played well, in another one of those earlier years Connolly played well. I don't accept your description of Center over the past few years.

gunna cost a higher draft pick or money in free agency. i now theres a salary cap and you cant spend your money everywhere but the rb spot really is bizzaire while bb has been here. maybe hes looking to draft a stud rb for cheep since rb is getting no love this draft who knows. he seems to do what nobody expects lool. we'll see what happens with blount.
    Vereen was a 2nd, Ridley a 3rd, and Maroney a 1st. BB has brought in talent, including one notable UDFA that never fumbled for us - in your world that guy may never sees the roster. RB's are not critical unless you get some OL's that can run block - that's a major change.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    A 7th round pick and a guy that would rather run in spandex - hardly a gold mine.

How do you know that they won't get it done, or that BB is trying to get Blount to sign for the price he feels is fair?

Nobody here knows the answer to either, so what's the problem?

RB's will always be a secondary concern here while Brady is the QB and/or the rules favor passing so much, it's unwise to spend too much on a running game with an OL that's a pass protect first and run sometimes unit.

Disagree, with the cap you can't afford stars at every position, or group. RB's are clearly a secondary priority. With Brady getting older, amping up the budget by 10-20% might be a good idea, but bringing in 2-3-4M per year guys - **** no.

In 2012 the kid played well, in another one of those earlier years Connolly played well. I don't accept your description of Center over the past few years.

Vereen was a 2nd, Ridley a 3rd, and Maroney a 1st. BB has brought in talent, including one notable UDFA that never fumbled for us - in your world that guy may never sees the roster. RB's are not critical unless you get some OL's that can run block - that's a major change.
    doesnt matter what we gave up the point is we needed better talent at rb. ridley fumbles the ball left and right and was completely stonewalled against any good teams with a good defenses. he racked up yards and cheap goaline tds against scrub teams. he got knocked out by pollard in the ravens playoff game and killed us. he was a third round pick for a reason (which was considered a reach to boot). hes not a first round adrian peterson type franchise back. bb saw a talented back in blount who was in a crap situation in tampa so he traded for him and he was an upgrade. i have no confidence in ridley carrying this team anywhere, and vereen is a third down pass catching change of pace back. completely agree this is a passing team with brady and will always be, they proved it this year in the playoffs, road the run game with blount getting them into the big games then he was an afterthought and we lose. thats why i want to get brady a number one wr cuz they will always fall back on to passing in the end. the days of dillon and the run game winning a championship seem to be over, brady takes over now always. they bang their heads against the wall trying to pass to win even when gronk is out and we got no great wrs. hes too competative and thinks he can beat anyone. if they would just build a great run game and defense we probably win championships left and right but its not gunna happen. i was shellshocked at their gameplan against denver. you got blount ridley and vereen best rb core in a long time and they hardly used them, they tried to stuff the ball into rookie wrs and zero te's. i know denver was focusing on the run but the pats didnt even try to run nor throw it to vereen who vanished like a ghost after being so deadly in the late part of the season after coming back from injury. just mindboggling.

even though the run aint the focus you still want to have good backs to be balanced and at least have a threat against the best teams in the playoffs. the rb talent wasnt good enough without blount coming in, i dont know if we even make the afc championship without him. what are we arguing here again i forgot the point of the topic? lool. blount why is he not signed yet i dunno but he is young and talented and theres no rb market this year it should have been done already, perhaps it will soon. i hope.
    Last edited by briz almighty; 03-25-2014 at 07:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briz almighty View Post
    doesnt matter what we gave up the point is we needed better talent at rb.
    The point is he got his audition. Maybe he's a pain in the dressing room? Maybe his skill set is too limited. If BB doesn't want him back that's good enough for me.

Rridley fumbles the ball left and right
    You ought to check the stats from last year a bit closer.

and was completely stonewalled against any good teams with a good defenses. he racked up yards and cheap goaline tds against scrub teams.
    26 for 115 and 2 TD's vs the Steelers (14th in defense in '13)
    14 for 79 and 1 TD vs Miami (8th in defense in '13)

he got knocked out by pollard in the ravens playoff game
    So what? That's ridiculous, no reasonable person would blame him for that.

he was a third round pick for a reason (which was considered a reach to boot). hes not a first round adrian peterson type franchise back.
    Name all such backs in the NFL today. Go ahead.

Ridley is far from perfect, but he's on the roster for $939k, and he doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

Blount was such an irreplaceable "stud" that he had 9 or less carries for the Pats in 8 games last year (Ridley was 4 for 14). If you take away his cosmic game 16 against the beaten pathetic Bills he was 129 for 583. He was 5 carries for 6 yards vs Denver in the AFCCC (Ridley was 5 for 17). Blounts numbers are no better than a rotation back in Foxboro - because that's what he is.

bb saw a talented back in blount who was in a crap situation in tampa so he traded for him and he was an upgrade.
    Upgrade over what? Bolden? Sure.

i have no confidence in ridley
    Well not to be mean, but your opinion is meaningless, it's BB's opinion that carries the day in Foxboro.

if they would just build a great run game and defense we probably win championships left and right
    See anyone else doing it?

but its not gunna happen
    Then you don't have to worry about it.

the rb talent wasnt good enough without blount coming in, i dont know if we even make the afc championship without him
    This is ridiculous.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    The point is he got his audition. Maybe he's a pain in the dressing room? Maybe his skill set is too limited. If BB doesn't want him back that's good enough for me.

so you agree with every decision bb makes? i love him as a coach but dont agree with all of his moves and decisions. you dont have to be a koolaid drinker. if bb lets blount walk to pitt or balt on a affordable contract hes stupid.

You ought to check the stats from last year a bit closer.

who said anything about last year soley? im talking about all of ridleys career. he has costly fumbles in big games.

26 for 115 and 2 TD's vs the Steelers (14th in defense in '13)
    14 for 79 and 1 TD vs Miami (8th in defense in '13)

im not going to go post his numbers cuz its a waste of time. you cherry pick two games yea hes had a few good games against good teams but the majority of good teams he plays against he does not produce. this is his whole career not just last year. go look up 2012 and look at all the top teams we played his stats stink. its the reason bb made a trade for blount.

So what? That's ridiculous, no reasonable person would blame him for that.

many rbs would not take that hit in the first place. they know how to protect themselves. ridley runs recklessly and is careless with the ball.

Name all such backs in the NFL today. Go ahead.

Ridley is far from perfect, but he's on the roster for $939k, and he doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

Blount was such an irreplaceable "stud" that he had 9 or less carries for the Pats in 8 games last year (Ridley was 4 for 14). If you take away his cosmic game 16 against the beaten pathetic Bills he was 129 for 583. He was 5 carries for 6 yards vs Denver in the AFCCC (Ridley was 5 for 17). Blounts numbers are no better than a rotation back in Foxboro - because that's what he is.

maybe cuz ridley was the starting back going into the season and blount coming in is not just going to get the starting job handed to him? bb usually splits carries anyways and who knows what their gameplan from game to game is one week they throw it all over the next they will run it for 200 yards. the point is blount proved as the season went on he can make plays and all ridley did was prove he can fumble the ball. blount was a spark, ridley was hurting us.

Upgrade over what? Bolden? Sure.

now im getting annoyed with you.

Well not to be mean, but your opinion is meaningless, it's BB's opinion that carries the day in Foxboro.

incorrect. i actually pull the strings in foxboro behind the scenes...BB text messages me my opinion everyday so i guess it must mean something. <rolls eyes>

See anyone else doing it?

yea seattle has an ok defense and not too shabby rb they call beast mode.

Then you don't have to worry about it.

im not anymore. they showed their true colors this year for the final time for me, had the best running game in a long time and tried to win with rookie wrs and no te's passing the ball. its absurd.

This is ridiculous.

really why? its the run game that carried us down the stretch and into the playoffs, and maybe would have won a sb if they stuck to it. we were averaging like 200 yards a game and had one of the best run games in the league at the end of the year. you think they could of just relied on the rookies and no te's after gronk went down? worked great against denver. blount is a big reason we even made the playoffs this year.
    ten char
    Last edited by briz almighty; 03-25-2014 at 10:47 PM.

vCash
    I'd love to have an elite RB here but I just don't think Blount is that guy. I think "rotational back" is the perfect term to describe him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    You're a good mod B's
    RumfordJohnny ‏@RumfordJohnny 4h

Welcome to the fantasy abyss RT @Rotoworld_FB: Rams GM: 'Better than 50%' we sign WR Britt http://dlvr.it/5DqWKv
    Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko 3h

@RumfordJohnny Patriots didn't like his physical.
    Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 2h

Patriots fans seem to think center/guard is a huge need. I think a combo of Wendell, Connolly, Cannon (, Kline) will be fine.
    Can Wendell play G in an emergency or is he strictly a C? Trying to gauge his value. If Connolly refuses a paycut and we release him, I'd like for us to draft a top 3 C and resign Wendell cheap to start and hope the rookie beats him out in camp. If they come at the same price Connolly(restructured) would give us better value based on positional flexibility. We still need a reserve T too.
    I want us drafting top talent on the interior because we don't have Coach Scar to work his magic and I want to prolong Brady's career as long as possible.

vCash
    I'm not so sold on Blount. There might even be cost effective upgrades in free agency.

vCash
    so you agree with every decision bb makes?
    Not at all. But at this moment if he decides against Blount - until proven wrong - I would take his judgement over yours.

if bb lets blount walk to pitt or balt on a affordable contract hes stupid.
    Without knowing all the other surrounding choices and outcomes that's a highly speculative POV.

im not going to go post his numbers cuz its a waste of time. you cherry pick two games yea hes had a few good games against good teams
    You said he sucked against good teams w/o exception. Well here are just two exceptions.

Blount rushed over 12 times just 3 out of 16 games (14, 16, 24). He also ran 10-12 times in 5 games.

its the reason bb made a trade for blount.
    Speculation. His use/performance does not indicate anything other than a good role player for one season.

the point is blount proved as the season went on he can make plays and all ridley did was prove he can fumble the ball. blount was a spark, ridley was hurting us.
    The point is illogical hatred makes for illogical arguments - not to mention factually false ones.

now im getting annoyed with you.
    Fine, somebody has to point out the holes in your arguments.

yea seattle has an ok defense and not too shabby rb they call beast mode.
    They have a cheap young QB who is about to become and expensive young QB, let's see them dominate the NFL as well or better than the Pats have since the end of 2000.

blount is a big reason we even made the playoffs this year.
    Nonsense. Get a grip. The Pats could have won 3 less games and been in the playoffs.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 03-26-2014 at 07:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    You're a good mod B's

Can Wendell play G in an emergency or is he strictly a C? Trying to gauge his value. If Connolly refuses a paycut and we release him, I'd like for us to draft a top 3 C and resign Wendell cheap to start and hope the rookie beats him out in camp. If they come at the same price Connolly(restructured) would give us better value based on positional flexibility. We still need a reserve T too.
    I want us drafting top talent on the interior because we don't have Coach Scar to work his magic and I want to prolong Brady's career as long as possible.
    Wendell is strictly a Center. He looked pretty good in 2012, but the wheels fell off last year. I'm ready for him to be gone.

Connolly as a back-up at C and G makes a lot of sense after we adjust his contract.

Cannon seems like the best in-house move at RG, but he doesn't appear to be someone that can be used as a regular LG, so his value IMO is based totally on what he can do at RG and as an emergency back up at RT.

The problem with Cannon at RG and Svitek gone is that our depth at T is non existent. We need IMO to sign a vet swing T and draft in the top 93 picks a probable starting tackle to defend against Solder leaving after '16 and Vollmers frequent injuries.

At G I'd like to draft someone in the 4th-6th who can push Kline out of the way, and be ready to be a top sub in '15 or '16 or even a starter if we are lucky.

At Center with no Wendell as Connolly as an aging back up we need to draft a guy, or perhaps sign a FA/camp cut for the job. I'd rather draft, but, 2 should be gone by #93, and Richburg is falling because he isn't nasty enough.

vCash
    Blount was a hit or miss...he's wildly inconsistent. He'll be averaging 2> yards and then pop out a big run or two. In some games Blount disappears and gets completely shutdown. (yes some games he rushes for 150+ But he is not Lynch/Shady/Foster/Charles/Peterson consistent).

Ridley has the higher playmaking ability more consistently. Yes he fumbles more than a BB back but he's a better back.

Vereen is gnna be Vereen. I hope he doesn't get injured this year.

Bolden, before his PED suspension 2012 he was coming on....idk if that's a result of PEDs (strictly) or not. Maybe he'll see a bigger role this year.

Why over pay for Blount when cj2k and MJD can't find jobs? The RB market is weak and BB wants Blount at his price...he's a good piece but not as valuable as you make him out to be.

We are a gameplan team, we do what our opponent is "weak" at from week to week. That's why we go from passing 50+ times to running 30+ times and lead with a different back.

Now you can argue that it was pass first when we had Gronk/AH but that's because they cause so many mis-matches we could expose so many teams weaknesses to cover them.

Anyways: does anyone see A. Wilson making this team? I don't...easy cut IMO.

PSD's Aaron Dropson.
    Honorary packers fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lolollort View Post
    Blount was a hit or miss...he's wildly inconsistent. He'll be averaging 2> yards and then pop out a big run or two. In some games Blount disappears and gets completely shutdown. (yes some games he rushes for 150+ But he is not Lynch/Shady/Foster/Charles/Peterson consistent).

Ridley has the higher playmaking ability more consistently. Yes he fumbles more than a BB back but he's a better back.

Vereen is gnna be Vereen. I hope he doesn't get injured this year.

Bolden, before his PED suspension 2012 he was coming on....idk if that's a result of PEDs (strictly) or not. Maybe he'll see a bigger role this year.

Why over pay for Blount when cj2k and MJD can't find jobs? The RB market is weak and BB wants Blount at his price...he's a good piece but not as valuable as you make him out to be.

We are a gameplan team, we do what our opponent is "weak" at from week to week. That's why we go from passing 50+ times to running 30+ times and lead with a different back.

Now you can argue that it was pass first when we had Gronk/AH but that's because they cause so many mis-matches we could expose so many teams weaknesses to cover them.

Anyways: does anyone see A. Wilson making this team? I don't...easy cut IMO.
    It's possible BB puts AW through camp for some of his vet knowledge to rub off, and as a possible to make the team, but I would bet against him being on the roster at the start of the season - heavily.

vCash
    Jared Allen to Bears for 4 years. Went for the dough I bet. Forget him.

vCash
    Note to Pats fans that want the team to spend to the cap and beyond and "win" free agency every year, this is what happens:

JumboHart Andy Hart
    RT @BenVolin: #Dolphins reportedly trying to trade Mike Wallace, but his $15m salary in 2014 is fully guaranteed. Good luck with that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy:28215318
    Note to Pats fans that want the team to spend to the cap and beyond and "win" free agency every year, this is what happens:

JumboHart Andy Hart
    RT @BenVolin: #Dolphins reportedly trying to trade Mike Wallace, but his $15m salary in 2014 is fully guaranteed. Good luck with that
    Watch the jets trade for him even thou its in division

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast