Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

We are NOT a better team than last year

I've seen the question a lot "are the Tigers a better team without Prince Fielder"? The answer is a very hardy NO. We could have been but without Fister, Prince, Inglesis, and even Dirks we are not even close. Our bullpen still sucks even with Nathan, our back up catcher is worse, our shortstop is enimic (both of them), our third base situation is up in the air, and with an injury scare already with Sanchez who the heck will fill in the rotation?

I really liked the switch to the speed game but DD did not account for depth or a bullpen and that is adding to the other issues that keep popping up. I really hope that we can hang on till the trade deadline so we can make some moves to get us into the playoff's because right now, we don't look like a playoff team. Dave really dropped the ball in some key areas, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    I've seen the question a lot "are the Tigers a better team without Prince Fielder"? The answer is a very hardy NO. We could have been but without Fister, Prince, Inglesis, and even Dirks we are not even close. Our bullpen still sucks even with Nathan, our back up catcher is worse, our shortstop is enimic (both of them), our third base situation is up in the air, and with an injury scare already with Sanchez who the heck will fill in the rotation?

I really liked the switch to the speed game but DD did not account for depth or a bullpen and that is adding to the other issues that keep popping up. I really hope that we can hang on till the trade deadline so we can make some moves to get us into the playoff's because right now, we don't look like a playoff team. Dave really dropped the ball in some key areas, IMO.
    If we aren't better, it's not because of fielder. It's because of all of the other seemingly moronic moves we've made.

Doesn't mean we still can't win though. that's the interesting thing about baseball. You can have a team full of guys that everyone thinks are average at best...and they go win 90 games. Last year the Cardinals had no "stars". Granted their bullpen was great, but my point is that you don't need a team full of names. You need a team that can simply play...

I'm still relatively confident about this year and imo if we don't make the playoffs and win the WS, I will be disappointed.

Rush Yards: 18 TDs: 0

2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

vCash
    We might not be better right now. The team is banking on a lot of younger guys to step up and which there will be ups and downs so we need to be ready for that now. I think the transition to more athleticism and speed along with our good starting pitchers should be enough to carry us into the playoffs one more time.

The biggest area of concern for me is the BP. They didn't really do anything to address it aside from signing Nathan. Joba might be another fixture there but I don't have much expectations for him.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash
    Oh, I think we can win but I just don't feel as confident as last year now that Inglesis is out.

vCash
    Nope.

The Tigers probably aren't better in 2014 than they were in 2013.

BUT

These moves might make the Tigers better in 2016 and beyond than they would have been.

Detroit is still the heavy favorite in the AL Central

vCash
    As of today, I've got 91-71.
    Had Leyland remained, I would have said 88-75.

All subject to change, as the season progresses. Injuries and trades can easily change numbers. So can a rookie manager change the number. I'm just guessing Ausmus will end-up as a positive hiring.

vCash
    I really like Ausmus as our manager but frankly I feel we need more things to go right . We can't afford another setback or injury . And we need guys like AA and Jackson to set it up. The bottom of the order is very important to making this team go . Otherwise we leave lots of men on base.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I really like Ausmus as our manager but frankly I feel we need more things to go right . We can't afford another setback or injury . And we need guys like AA and Jackson to set it up. The bottom of the order is very important to making this team go . Otherwise we leave lots of men on base.
    Agree with everything you just said.

vCash
    I don't think we win more regular season games but I think we are built better for the playoffs assuming just one of our bp arms other than Nathan steps up big this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    I don't think we win more regular season games but I think we are built better for the playoffs assuming just one of our bp arms other than Nathan steps up big this year.
    No guarantees Nathan keeps up his top-shelf game. He's getting old, you know! Dombrowski needs to be prepared for it and he may be, having Knebel in the minors bullpen now and close-to-ready for prime-time. I believe he's our future. Hope so anyways.

vCash
    The past few years I have been excited for the season to start. This season, although still estatic baseball season is here, I can't help but be worried about this team. Our division is getting better and I don't see us as a sure win.

I like the make up of the team when it comes to speed and defense, but my biggest concern is how we look without Fister. He wasn't the end all be all but we didn't fill needs when we traded him.