Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Kobe Bryant: Lakers Planning 'Greatest Comeback That the League Has Ever Seen'

LOS ANGELES -- After openly questioning Los Angeles Lakers management and declaring he has no patience for a rebuilding effort in L.A., Kobe Bryant has since opened up communication with the Lakers front office, the 18-year veteran said in a conversation with ESPN's Darren Rovell on Sunday.

On the same day Bryant was recently officially ruled out for the remainder of the season because of a fractured knee in his left leg, the 35-year-old told reporters he expects the Lakers to return to championship form immediately, starting with the moves they make with their salary-cap space this summer. That diatribe prompted a meeting of the minds between Bryant and the Lakers' brass.

"Jimmy [executive vice president of player personnel Jim Buss] and I actually talked after that and it's important for us to have that conversation because this is their team, it's been in their family for years and we all know what the track record is for that, but I've also been part of this franchise since I was 17 years old," Bryant told Rovell. "I feel like I bleed purple and gold and I want to see this franchise be successful. I don't want to hear the comments of dissension between Jim and [Lakers president] Jeanie [Buss]. We need to figure this thing out. We're all moving in the same direction."

Bryant, who signed a two-year, $48.5 million extension with the team in November to lock up his 19th and 20th seasons in L.A., reiterated his message of urgency to Buss to return to the top as soon as possible.

"This organization is just not going to go [down]," Bryant said. "It's not going to take a nose dive. But I think we need to accelerate it a little bit for selfish reasons, because I want to win and I want to win next season. So, it's kind of getting them going now as opposed to two years from now."

Despite already airing his concerns about what direction the Lakers might be heading, Bryant said his faith is as strong as ever in the Lakers' ability to bounce back to contender status.

"Extremely confident," Bryant said. "That was one of my concerns [when he re-signed] and they assured me, 'This is fair for you for everything you've done for the franchise and will continue to do while being able to construct a team that is going to contend for a championship here over the next couple of years.'"Bryant also responded to Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's assertion that "I don't know if the Lakers will ever be the Lakers," because of the absence of longtime owner Dr. Jerry Buss, who died last year.

"It will be different," Bryant said. "You can't lead the way [Dr. Buss] did. Because Jeanie is different. Jimmy, who is running basketball operations, is different.

"So they have to find their rhythm and get in sync with each other and figure out exactly what their leadership style is going to be. It's nearly impossible to try to separate basketball operations from the business standpoint so you got to kind of get in sync that with that and have one voice that is leading that charge. But once that happens, the idea might take shape. But you can't look at what Dr. Buss did and say, 'I'm going to try replicate that,' and be exactly what he was. That's just not going to happen."

One thing Bryant has no interest in replicating is the 2013-14 season in which he played just six games. The Lakers (23-46) are on pace to finish with the worst record in franchise history, replacing the 1974-75 team's all-time futility mark of 30-52.

"Well, if you're going to fail, I guess fail and be the best at it," Bryant said, sarcastically. "You got to have a sense of humor in very dark moments. The reality is, it's been a brutal year but there's nothing we can do about it right now. So it's important to try not to beat ourselves up too much about it. It is what it is. We've been decimated with injuries, but now it's time to regroup and look ahead and start strategizing as an organization, 'Alright, how are we going to turn this thing around?'

"We might have had the worst season ever or could have the worst season ever for a Lakers team, but now let's have the greatest comeback that the league has ever seen."

Information from ESPN.com's Darren Rovell was used in this report.
    ...A Dynasty A Cometh... 1225

vCash
    He thinks that any team he is on has a chance to win. We know that is not true. There is nothing we can do to be able to win while he is still on the team.

vCash
    Sales talk.

vCash
    The Celtics went from like 22 wins to a championship in 08. It'd be hard (read: impossible) to top that. They honestly shouldn't even try. If Kobe really cared he would have taken far less, around 15 million, and the Lakers could have been competitive next season without sacrificing future flexibility to get someone like Love or Irving.

As it stands, **** this free agency (unless a miracle happens and you convince like Bron to come over) and just do 1 year deals again (unless you get a good young talent for 9 mil or less) and build using your top 5 draft pick.

136-206, 66% CMP, 1,517 Yds, 7.36 Avg, 9 TD, 4 INTs, 60.9 QBR, 94.3 RTG

This man is making me question my sexuality

vCash
    Is it just me or does Kobe makes it sound like as if the organization urged him to take the money?

Eisenhower says: SUCK ME.

Equipo De Chupame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JWorthy42 View Post
    Is it just me or does Kobe makes it sound like as if the organization urged him to take the money?
    He said he took the first offer they gave him but even the biggest Kobe suck up John Ireland said he knew for a fact that Kobe negotiated to be the highest player in the league. Kobe didn't want to seem to be greedy so he came up with that story
    Last edited by DODGERS&LAKERS; 03-25-2014 at 01:57 AM.

vCash
    I'll believe when I'll see it.

vCash
    He should start doing some heavy recruiting as early as tomorrow. Start calling Minnesota and Cleveland.

Unless Mitch comes up with a miraculous deal this coming off-season, Kobe is inarguably the heart and soul of the entire lakers organization as of this moment.

vCash
    I don't see it Kobe, not going to happen. You will have better luck being a role player for Melo in NY.

vCash
    this plan has a failure written all over it

Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

vCash
    one word

DELUSIONAL

vCash
    I guess it's not only Laker fans who are delusional.
    Last edited by Hangin n Wangin; 03-25-2014 at 11:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin n Wangin View Post
    I guess it's not only Laker fans who are delusional.
    The biggest obstacle in our way is roster consistency. Look at the NCAA tournament. The sum of the parts is not always equal to the whole. Teams that have been together 2-3 years tend to knock off teams with several superstars who have only been together for a year or two. Heck, look at the Heat. Their roster was arguably best the first year of the big 3, yet it was only after they had faced some adversity (loss to the Mavs in the finals) that they were able to put it all together the following year.

We're going to have maybe 3 hold overs? This isn't NBA2k. You can't just throw together even an all star team and expect immediate success.
    "'Half of the people can be part right all of the time. Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all of the people can't be all right all of the time.' I think Abraham Lincoln said that."

vCash
    Kobe old and senile as usual:

1) down 3-0 to Dallas in 2011: I may be sick in the head but i still think we're gonna win this series.

2) after 2012 loss to OKC: we're not the pistons where we're just gonna disappear into oblivion.

3) Mike Brown is a great defensive mind, and I'd love to play in the Princeton offense.

4) if Phil is the coach or D'Antoni is the coach, I'm fine either way.

5) and now this, the greatest comeback in history

vCash
    All I can do is laugh at this point.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast