Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton

vCash

Billy Hamilton

Many agree the success of our offense will depend on Billy's ability to get on base. His speed is undeniable but his hitting has been questioned, he has hit well this spring and he's manned CF pretty good. That being said what are your expectations for him at the plate, on the bases, and in the field?

''Sig by Johnle''

vCash
    Not a fan

The Dodgers are the team that I grew up watching and follow the most closely. We had Dee Gordon come up through our system.

In 2200 minor league plate appearances Gordon hit .301/.360/.388 with 227 SB including .296/.357/.378 in AA/AAA. In 2011 he was ranked #46 and #27 by BA and BP respectively and #26 and #84 in 2012.
    *http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=strang001dev

In 2200 minor league plate appearances Hamilton hit .280/.350/.378 with 395 SB including .264/.335/.353 in AA/AAA. In 2011 he was ranked #50 and #46 by BA and BP respectively and #48 and #22 in 2012.
    *http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=hamilt002bil

Two pretty similar players.

I had high hopes for Gordon, but never thought he was destined to be a star. I hoped he might be able to be a contributor as a major league starter but worried that he'd ever even be that much.

For his career Gordon has hit .256/.301/.312 in the majors with 66 steals in 669 PA's. The speed is there, but he doesn't hit enough (or play enough defense) to be a useful major league player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
    Many agree the success of our offense will depend on Billy's ability to get on base. His speed is undeniable but his hitting has been questioned, he has hit well this spring and he's manned CF pretty good. That being said what are your expectations for him at the plate, on the bases, and in the field?
    Just got back from Goodyear earlier this week (golf and Spring training..how good is that?).. first off.. DatBatDude.. is a star in my eyes.. He signed and signed and signed.. took photos with fans.. kids and bigger kids..just a helluvan ambassador for the Reds and their fans along the left field line that day.. Instead of providing you with some statistics about a guy who has the same number of eyes.. two feet..and all those analytic similarities, here's what you can say about Billy Hamilton.. start with his defense...

From what I've seen he doesn't get good reads on balls hit right at him.. He almost freezes in his tracks.. this says "..poor recognition/not enough experience/more minor league time needed.." He makes up for his shortcomings on fly balls by out running them.. He's got the jets and he uses them.. His routes to fly balls in the air appear to be superb.. He runs right to the spot and adjusts while in route.

So, defensively.. he could use some time in the minors and he'd probably be better for it.., but, he can also learn those kinds of things while in the majors.. it's not the best place to learn, but, he seems to have the work ethic to get it done..

Hitting: If he can work the count like he did when I watched him against the Rangers (he didn't play against the Indians on Monday).. then he'll be able to sustain an acceptable OBP.. IDK about steamer and Zips and Ouija method of projection.. but, Billy seems like he's got it together.. the game appears to be slowing down for him.. and he has a LOT of experienced hands/vets around him to lean on.. He could be a surprise candidate for NL ROY.. He could be that impactful...

thoughts?...

vCash
    Here is what I believe to be the biggest thing he brings to the club. When he gets on base, if nobody on second, the pitcher and catcher are going to be so worried about him that they will make mistakes. They are almost better just to let him go to second but it doesn't stop there. He will steal third.

I remember watching Vince Coleman in his prime. He literally disrupted the game when he got on base. One time (I think Bo Diaz was our catcher) said after the game he gave John Franco the wrong sign cause he was so worried about Coleman on first. That hitter hit a two run homer to win the game.

Our two spot was horrible last year, and by simply putting Hamilton at leadoff will greatly improve that. The two hitter should be good at advancing runners, you don't have to with Hamilton, he will do it himself. All you have to do is be patient. I will have little patience with a guy that swings on the first pitch.

vCash
    I think Billy will be a great baseball player... just not today. I still think his offense needs some work and then he'll be good. I don't think he's quite major league ready yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    He could be that impactful...

thoughts?...
    I hope so. He's an exciting player. But speed is overrated - easy to measure, stands out but there just aren't enough opportunities for speed to change the game if the other skills aren't there.

Ouija method of projection
    Who's really using the 'ouija method of projection'?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    He could be that impactful...

thoughts?...
    I hope so. He's an exciting player. But speed is overrated - easy to measure, stands out but there just aren't enough opportunities for speed to change the game if the other skills aren't there.

Ouija method of projection
    Who's really using the 'ouija method of projection'?
    Yeah, but Billy's speed is unlike any other players speed and it's something that will affect the defense, as well as the pitcher anytime he's on base or even up to bat. That being said.... Opening Day is here! Go Reds!!!

''Sig by Johnle''

vCash
    Yall have seen Billy far more then I have so here is a question I have been wondering..

Given Billy's ability with the bat how do you guys see pitchers pitching to him? Are they going to challenge him in the zone with hard stuff?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshunde4 View Post
    Yall have seen Billy far more then I have so here is a question I have been wondering..

Given Billy's ability with the bat how do you guys see pitchers pitching to him? Are they going to challenge him in the zone with hard stuff?
    Good question.. but I would think that would be a bunter's dream. I think they will keep him guessing and paint corners. This kid has got a long way to go... we will see.

vCash
    Well so far, not so good

vCash
    Yeah not good so far. He knows all eyes on him to produce and maybe that's getting to him. But like you said Jlohm... being major league ready prepares you for those situations. Lets hope he gets a hit and starts the ball rollin.

vCash
    Yeah not good, I'll give him a few weeks by if he's still struggling I think we have to send him down to AAA at least for a while. We just can my afford to have wasted at-bats at the top of the lineup. Go with a Heisey/Bernadina platoon for the time being.

''Sig by Johnle''

vCash
    This was impressive

https://vine.co/v/M56Aple3Z1L

vCash
    He looked good today, three hits, a walk, and two stolen bases.

''Sig by Johnle''

vCash
    Yeah that play was very impressive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast