Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Running back committee?

I've read several places that Whisenhunt is looking to implement a true committee in the backfield. With the way this league is changing and the value of running backs diminishing greatly, it is widely viewed as an intelligent football decision. With that game plan intact, are we prepared to trust Dex/Greene to split the workload over the course of a full NFL season? Here's my opinion..

Absolutely not. Under no circumstance am I able to place full trust in that duo to handle a full workload, remain healthy and produce at a respectable level. No offense to either player as I like what both bring in terms of skill set but Greene has shown to be a very solid timeshare back but when tossed in as an every down, feature back he's production declines. We have all read up or been aware of Dex complete lack of a true position. As I stated, I love the skills both bring, Greene as a between the tackle grinding power back and Dex as an offensive weapon but we need to add a third back to this committee to be successful. Ideally we would add a Charles Sims, Bishop Sankey caliber running back. Your thoughts?

vCash
    I think going with a committee is the right decision, but definitely not with those 2. We absolutely have to draft a RB rounds 2-5. I don`t see a superstar RB in this draft, but I think there`s a lot of quality in the later rounds.

I prefer to wait (Really wish we had a 3rd). Hyde & Mason are IMO, the best backs in this draft. I think Mason is a better fit for this team of the 2, but they will probably both be 2nd-3rd round picks, not with us.

In the 4th, I`d be ecstatic with Freeman or Sims. Hill, Sankey and Seastrunk may also be available then.

vCash
    As others have said, I do not trust the current backs on the roster. I love McCluster to catch passes out of the backfield or be a change of pace back like a Dannny Woodhead or a Darren Sproles, and I like the idea of Shonne Greene as a short yardage or goal line change of pace back. But I don't trust either guy to carry the ball 20-25 times a game and consistently get me four yards.

I'd also like to see the Titans draft a guy in that 2nd-4th-round range. Tons of teams in this league have proven you don't need a first round back or a $10 million a year guy to have a successful running team in this league nowadays. If the Titans' front office does a good job of evaluating talent and finds a decent young guy with upside, I see no reason they can't be one of those teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    As others have said, I do not trust the current backs on the roster. I love McCluster to catch passes out of the backfield or be a change of pace back like a Dannny Woodhead or a Darren Sproles, and I like the idea of Shonne Greene as a short yardage or goal line change of pace back. But I don't trust either guy to carry the ball 20-25 times a game and consistently get me four yards.

I'd also like to see the Titans draft a guy in that 2nd-4th-round range. Tons of teams in this league have proven you don't need a first round back or a $10 million a year guy to have a successful running team in this league nowadays. If the Titans' front office does a good job of evaluating talent and finds a decent young guy with upside, I see no reason they can't be one of those teams.
    I could grow to be confident in a stable of backs including Dex, Greene, Sankey/Sims/Mason, even Battle and/or Washington. The important thing is keeping these guys fresh and utilizing their particular skill sets. While none of the aforementioned backs are feature backs, all can bring different dimensions to the table. Battle and Greene are both battering rams who can pound the football between the tackles as well as specialize in short yardage and goal line situations. Dex, as we are all aware of now, brings a Sproles/Woodhead skill set in which we can move him around the formation as running back or slot receiver. Washington could provide another pass catching option out of the backfield in third down situations.

vCash
    Leon Washington shouldn't really be in the convo of a RB committee. Battle is cool, but he's a poor man's Greene. They need to add a back in this draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnocOnYoBloc View Post
    Leon Washington shouldn't really be in the convo of a RB committee. Battle is cool, but he's a poor man's Greene. They need to add a back in this draft.
    Every time I think of our new backfield I continue to look to the New Orleans backfield the last several years. Never any first round picks, outside of Ingram, but generally successful plugging relative unknowns in. I agree Washington should be solely a return man and allow Greene/McCluster/Rookie to carry the load. I prefer Sankey, Sims, Mason, Hyde in that order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVA_Titan View Post
    Every time I think of our new backfield I continue to look to the New Orleans backfield the last several years. Never any first round picks, outside of Ingram, but generally successful plugging relative unknowns in. I agree Washington should be solely a return man and allow Greene/McCluster/Rookie to carry the load. I prefer Sankey, Sims, Mason, Hyde in that order.
    I dont know if we should really draft a RB, this should be a defensive minded draft for us
    Philadelphia 76ers 2000-2001 Sim League Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by killthesux View Post
    I dont know if we should really draft a RB, this should be a defensive minded draft for us
    I think if you enter that draft with a mentality that it's going to be heavy on either side of the football, you've already failed. The best teams let the draft fall and take the BPA, look at SF and SEA. We do not enter the draft with any absolute pressing need with the exception of pass rusher but should not make a pick based on that, instead make it on value. Barr has long been linked to us and I'm okay with that pick because it addresses a major need and were also getting good value with it. Beyond that, I would look at best player not certain positions. If we continue to draft BPA we could be one step closer to a return to glory instead of reaching and b*tching about those picks for the next few years.

Personally I believe Anthony Barr and Carlos Hyde cover both value and needs.
    Last edited by WVA_Titan; 03-26-2014 at 09:29 PM.

vCash
    Barr in the first...

RB round 2-4... Mason, Sankey, Freeman or Sims.. (Hyde is my #1 back but will be gone)...

West from Towson is a big sleeper.

vCash
    Barr in the first...

RB round 2-4... Mason, Sankey, Freeman or Sims.. (Hyde is my #1 back but will be gone)...

West from Towson is a big sleeper.
    I think we have more than a slim chance at him being on the board at 42

vCash
    If you guys are interested, I compiled a super detailed report on 20 different RBs in this class. I could post it here, or create a new thread.

For weeks I watched game tape(entire games...not highligts), read multiple different scouting reports and combined them with my own personal notes and opinions.

vCash
    i wouldn't mind waiting and taking a chance on Antonio Andrews - WKU. i played baseball with him in high school. kids got talent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boy_coy16 View Post
    i wouldn't mind waiting and taking a chance on Antonio Andrews - WKU. i played baseball with him in high school. kids got talent
    If Whiz chooses to wait on a rb till late in the draft it should be Isiah Crowell. I watched him as a freshman at georgia and that kid has special talent you shouldn't be able to land that late. Yes he is a knucklehead but such a low risk high reward prospect.

vCash
    Isaiah Crowell is my 10th ranked RB, and I rated him lower due to his issues. Terrific talent. He's going to be a real steal if he stays out of trouble. With our previous character issues, I doubt he's even on our board.

If we wait til round 4 or later to draft a RB, 2 guys I'm really high on are Devonta Freeman & Charles Sims. Freeman is my #1 sleeper, and *may* be there in the 4th, assuming guys like Sankey, Seastrunk, Carey, Hyde, Hill & Mason all go before him.

vCash
    Isaiah Crowell is my 10th ranked RB, and I rated him lower due to his issues. Terrific talent. He's going to be a real steal if he stays out of trouble. With our previous character issues, I doubt he's even on our board.

If we wait til round 4 or later to draft a RB, 2 guys I'm really high on are Devonta Freeman & Charles Sims. Freeman is my #1 sleeper, and *may* be there in the 4th, assuming guys like Sankey, Seastrunk, Carey, Hyde, Hill & Mason all go before him.
    My preferred choice is Bishop Sankey but Sims is my second choice. I believe both could step in as committee players and produce when called upon.