Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Red Sox and Ortiz agree to one year extension

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    Had to see this coming...... After the October Papi had there is no way the Front Office could make the decision not to agree on an extension. An extra year at 16 million doesn't bother me much as payment for a 3rd World Series in the 11 years he has been here and hopefully this extension sees him retire at Fenway.

Blood, Sweat and Beards!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    Options for '16 and '17 trigger from PA's is the report I heard.

David is dedicated to the idea of getting more money than he earns going forward to make up for the perceived shortfall earlier.

My call is that he doesn't earn his pay in any of his remaining years per FG WAR $.

I guess Sox fans that want him to finish his career here (like where else would he go - with all his financial interests in Boston?) will be pleased.

Next up Lester. To sign a deal right after opening day.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Good for both sides. Its not like $$$$$ is any sort of issue for Boston and for all that Ortiz has meant to the franchise these last 11yrs, its probably worth it. If money was an issue, then thats a completely different story. But you know, **** it right? It ends up a $1M raise from what he'll make this year.

If he doesn't end up getting the PAs to trigger the option yrs, then I would think he'd be on the bench for a reason other than Boston not wanting to give him the $$$$. I think it would definitely be based on his performance/health.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent33 View Post
    Good for both sides. Its not like $$$$$ is any sort of issue for Boston and for all that Ortiz has meant to the franchise these last 11yrs, its probably worth it. If money was an issue, then thats a completely different story. But you know, **** it right? It ends up a $1M raise from what he'll make this year.
    Ortiz is already bucking the odds big time with his hitting the past two years, it's not going to continue forever. The question is will he have the class to do what Chipper did? Retire while he has money left on the contract?

If he doesn't end up getting the PAs to trigger the option yrs, then I would think he'd be on the bench for a reason other than Boston not wanting to give him the $$$$. I think it would definitely be based on his performance/health.
    Agree with that, but, say next year he makes the PA's but hits .269/.323/.467 - with his usual negative defensiv value at DH? We have to pay $16M for a 41 year old coming off of that season?

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Ortiz is already bucking the odds big time with his hitting the past two years, it's not going to continue forever. The question is will he have the class to do what Chipper did? Retire while he has money left on the contract?

Agree with that, but, say next year he makes the PA's but hits .269/.323/.467 - with his usual negative defensiv value at DH? We have to pay $16M for a 41 year old coming off of that season?
    That's a pretty interesting thought w/ the comparison to Chipper retiring when he did to what Ortiz may do. When he begins to regress enough for even the most ardent of Papi supporters to think, "Hmmm, maybe Papi should call it a career and save face a bit?".

Would it tarnish his legacy if he decided to continue playing and 'stealing' money from the Red Sox? Probably not. He'll go down as one of the top Red Sox players in the history of the organization. That's quite a feat for a team w/ such a history that Boston has and the players that built HoF careers there.

Kind of like Jeter and his swan song w/ NYY. Is he worth $12M? Absolutely not to any other team other than NYY. Just like Ortiz isn't worth the contract he's playing on to any team other than Boston. Both of those guys have been the face of those teams and MLB for so long and like I mentioned, money is absolutely no problem for either franchise. Drop in the bucket for those Billion dollar organizations.

vCash
    Options for '16 and '17 trigger from PA's is the report I heard.
    Option for 2016 is vested based on PAs. Option for 2017 is entirely a club option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Option for 2016 is vested based on PAs. Option for 2017 is entirely a club option.
    That's good news.

Vincent33: As for the Sox being a billion dollar organization, I don't care what the cost of buying the team is, I'm concerned about the cost vs the budget. If the Sox seek to have a $185M payroll, than $16M - that's 8.65% of the teams budget, so he better be productive at that cost - for this year I can see it, but for next year? Not so sure.

Toss in say $20M for Lester - that's $36M of money going to two contracts. I hope our farm produces two bona fide #2 #3 type SP's in the next couple of years so we don't get soaked for more high buck FA starters.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 03-24-2014 at 09:04 AM.

vCash
    That's good news.

Vincent33: As for the Sox being a billion dollar organization, I don't care what the cost of buying the team is, I'm concerned about the cost vs the budget. If the Sox seek to have a $185M payroll, than $16M - that's 8.65% of the teams budget, so he better be productive at that cost - for this year I can see it, but for next year? Not so sure.

Toss in say $20M for Lester - that's $36M of money going to two contracts. I hope our farm produces two bona fide #2 #3 type SP's in the next couple of years so we don't get soaked for more high buck FA starters.

I could see us trading off allot of guys if we aren't in it by the TD this year like allot of us expected to happen last year.

I have a really hard time seeing this team being as good as it was last year in the first place. In the beginning of last year I was one of the few who thought we could be pretty decent and make it at least to the play-offs. But Allot if not everything went right for us last year. This year I have a harder time seeing that happen.

It certainly could be done. But We need XB and JBJ to be very solid. Sizemore would have to stay healthy and be somewhat good. WMB will have to be better. Peavy and Lackey will have to at least have repeat years. KU will have to not decline and at his age I have a hard time seeing a repeat. Nava/Gomes would have to be as good. Probably need 5 of those 8 things to work out for us. 2 years in a row of everything going great??? I hope so. But I don't know. Plus Ortiz having to be Ortiz.

If not we have a bunch of tradable pieces to make us better in the future. So pretty much win win for us.

At least no one in our division is clearly better then us. That's a huge plus. Although if things work out for that Yankees pitching staff and I really could see Pineda Tanaka being pretty good along with CC an and Kuroda and that offense they bought this year and Tex being healthy. They might be the team for us to beat this year

vCash
    Ortiz is the last person I'm going to complain about after all hes done for this team. Hes been underpaid his entire career. Personally I think it's the right move to extend him now. What happens if he we didn't extend him and he has yet another terrific season? That would be a terrible contract.

vCash
    “@JonHeymanCBS: David Ortiz '16 option vests starting at $11M with 425 plate appearances in '15, graduates to $16M with 600 PAs. #redsox”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vCash
    That's good news.

I understand the concern. I guess my thought w/ the Billion dollar comment was that Boston must be more than comfortable giving Ortiz that kind of contract extension knowing that there's a decent chance they may not get what they pay for. They can happily afford to go over the budget in Ortiz's case b/c its David Ortiz. Definitely thinking w/ the heart for the most part in this deal, but until he shows that he is in a serious, rapid decline they'll be (well I won't say happy...but not necessarily angry either...indifferent?..bah) w/ .260-.270BA, 18-23HR, 75-85RBI or whatever his line may drop towards as he creeps closer towards 40yrs of age.

vCash
    Good to see this, think he'll end up retiring a member of the team.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 49-62, games this week vs. Cardinals (3), Angels (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: Good draft and off-season so far.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todu82 View Post
    Good to see this, think he'll end up retiring a member of the team.
    Seems that way. Another Sox uni in the HOF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast