Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Scherzer Denies Deal

Well Scherzer has said no to the offer the Tigers made him. Here is a statement by the organization,

What does this mean for the Tigers? Chances he is gone at the trade deadline?

vCash
    ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports that the Tigers' offered Max Scherzer an extension at a slightly lower figure than the $25.7 million per year Justin Verlander received last spring.
    The deal, according to Stark, still would have placed Scherzer amongst the top six highest-paid SPs in the game by AAV. For that to be true, Scherzer was offered at least $24 million annually. When he rejected it, Detroit curiously jumped the news cycle and released a statement that could be read as an employer smearing an employee for being greedy. Either way, Scherzer will pitch out his one-year deal worth $15,525,000 and hit the free agent market next winter. If he replicates his performance of last season (21-3, 2.90 ERA), Scherzer could conceivably come close to Verlander's $180 million, seven-year deal.
    Start gauging his trade value because I really don't think the Illitch family wants to be paying him that kind of cash with Miguel Cabrera's extension also looming. If it comes down to one or the other give me Cabrera 10/10 times.

Catches: 14 Yards: 125 TDs: 1

vCash

Scherzer Denies Deal

What an idiot if he did turn down that deal. He's only had one "ace" season in his career and is taking a huge gamble this season. The Tigers are in a hard place especially considering they just gave Fister away. They should win the AL Central and you aren't going to trade away your best pitcher, but then you risk losing him to FA for just a comp pick or at best 1st rd pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sager729 View Post
    What an idiot if he did turn down that deal. He's only had one "ace" season in his career and is taking a huge gamble this season. The Tigers are in a hard place especially considering they just gave Fister away. They should win the AL Central and you aren't going to trade away your best pitcher, but then you risk losing him to FA for just a comp pick or at best 1st rd pick.
    Scherzer is our 3rd best pitcher, we can afford to trade him, we can't afford to give him $25 million a year. So dumb to trade Fister who is nearly as good and we could have locked him up for half the money and got more back if we dealt Max instead.

vCash
    The Tigers were the ones turning down the offer not Max. I don't blame them. Let him walk or trade him. As said above we need Cabrera more than we need MS. We found Scherzer we can find a replacement. Move on.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash

Scherzer Denies Deal

No Tigers made the offer to Max.

@jaysonst: Source says #Tigers offer to Scherzer was under Verlander AAV ($25.7M) but still in top 6 in MLB. For more . . . http://t.co/0Rb9Y8g3Kn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Scherzer is our 3rd best pitcher, we can afford to trade him, we can't afford to give him $25 million a year. So dumb to trade Fister who is nearly as good and we could have locked him up for half the money and got more back if we dealt Max instead.
    Lol there are so many things wrong with this post that I don't even know where to begin.

1. Scherzer was the best pitcher in baseball last year, so no he is not your "3rd best pitcher".
    2. Sure you can trade him, every other team in the league will be glad to take him off your hands.
    3. How in God's name do you figure Doug Fister is nearly as good as him? Fister: 14-9, 3.67 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 159 SO, 4.1 WAR ; Scherzer: 21-3, 2.90 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 240 SO, 6.7 WAR.

It's amazing to me that people still undervalue Scherzer like you do. You'll realize very soon that he is the best pitcher on your staff, and that Verlander's name value is the only reason you believe otherwise right now. I know you're just going to say that Scherzer is a one year wonder, however striking out 240 people is no fluke. This would negate your point about Sanchez being better as well, as last year was a career year for him and he still wasn't as good as Scherzer.

THANK YOU DANNY B #48

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bringbackfredex View Post
    Lol there are so many things wrong with this post that I don't even know where to begin.

1. Scherzer was the best pitcher in baseball last year, so no he is not your "3rd best pitcher".
    2. Sure you can trade him, every other team in the league will be glad to take him off your hands.
    3. How in God's name do you figure Doug Fister is nearly as good as him? Fister: 14-9, 3.67 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 159 SO, 4.1 WAR ; Scherzer: 21-3, 2.90 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 240 SO, 6.7 WAR.

It's amazing to me that people still undervalue Scherzer like you do. You'll realize very soon that he is the best pitcher on your staff, and that Verlander's name value is the only reason you believe otherwise right now. I know you're just going to say that Scherzer is a one year wonder, however striking out 240 people is no fluke. This would negate your point about Sanchez being better as well, as last year was a career year for him and he still wasn't as good as Scherzer.
    I'm just happy to read a statistical argument that doesn't include wOBA, xFIL , wRC+ , although you did throw WAR in there haha.

Seriously though, what ever happened to Scherzer's comments about wanting to stay in Detroit? Did we not offer enough years? Being paid top 6 money, or close to $25M a year to play where you want to be sounds perfect, why reject it?

vCash
    Nothing surprising or shocking here. Most fans knew Scherzer was headed to free agency, after hiring Boras.

Max won't be traded. He's here for the duration of the season and playoffs.

vCash
    We all knew shcerzer wouldn't resign this year. He's a boras agent... They always go to FA.

vCash
    Boras said they gave the Tigers a deal and they turned it down and then the Tigers gave Max a deal and then he turned it down. Both sides far apart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bringbackfredex View Post

How do you figure Scherzer was the best pitcher in baseball last year, because he had the best record? Sanchez had a better ERA and Verlander is just better, nobody would take Max over JV, period. Fister has a better career ERA and WHIP, a higher total WAR over the last 3 years, a better career post-season ERA, 6 career complete games to Scherzers 0 and maybe most importantly a delivery that isn't just asking for a serious injury. I'm not even trying to argue that Fister is better or just as good, though I clearly could do so, I said he was nearly as good and could have been locked up for close to half the money.

vCash

Scherzer Denies Deal

@jonmorosi: Source: Tigers’ offer to Max Scherzer was six years, $144 million. That was what Cole Hamels signed for in 2012. @FOXSportsLive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sager729 View Post
    @jonmorosi: Source: Tigers’ offer to Max Scherzer was six years, $144 million. That was what Cole Hamels signed for in 2012. @FOXSportsLive
    I also saw something that made it sound like that was Boras and Scherzers offer and the Tigers declined so....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    I'm just happy to read a statistical argument that doesn't include wOBA, xFIL , wRC+ , although you did throw WAR in there haha.

Seriously though, what ever happened to Scherzer's comments about wanting to stay in Detroit? Did we not offer enough years? Being paid top 6 money, or close to $25M a year to play where you want to be sounds perfect, why reject it?

Scherzer - xFIP - 3.19(13')/3.49(career)
    SIERA - 2.91(13')/3.36(career)
    Fister - xFIP - 3.42(13')/3.68(career)
    SIERA - 3.42(13')/3.76(career)

Just to counterbalance the use of W-L to compare pitchers.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast