Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Popovich the 3rd most valuable asset in the NBA?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 68.75%
  • no

5 31.25%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is Gregg Popovich the 3rd most valuable asset in the league?

Obviously Lebron and Durant are 1 & 2 since they're the clear cut best players in the league, but after that, I don't know if there's any player more valuable than Pop. The guy takes damn near d-league/12th man scrubs like Patty Mills, Danny Green, and Tiago Splitter (Might not be fair to classify Splitter as a scrub, but IMO he would be if he wasn't playing with the Spurs/Pop) and makes them serviceable to above average players. He's rested 2 or 3/3 of his best players against GSW twice and beat them both times in Golden State. The Spurs are clearly the best team in the league right now even though the big 3 aren't really close to elite players anymore (Parker hasn't been elite this year and I think Dragic should've made the ASG over him). Don't get me wrong, Duncan is still really damn good and Manu is having a solid bounce back year, but it's arguable that the Spurs have no all-stars on their team this year but they still have the best record in the league. It's just amazing what he does with below average talent and aging stars. Looking at their box scores is just crazy. I don't think I've ever seen a team win with such balance and teamwork as this year's Spurs. There's no player taking on a huge load and carrying this team on their back like AlJeff with Charlotte or Dragic with PHX...just pure teamwork.

So, do you think Pop is the 3rd most valuable asset in the league?
    Last edited by Sadds The Gr8; 03-23-2014 at 01:02 AM.

vCash
    I'd put him at 1st.

vCash
    I don't disagree with your premise (it's possible you could make the argument Pop is the 3rd most important piece in the league... though it goes beyond him to the organization as a whole), but you're underestimating the skill/impact level of TP/Duncan/Kawhi/Manu/Splitter and having elite gunners from 3 to stretch the floor.

You might be underestimating their impact due to the fact that they're deep enough that they don't have to play any starter more than 30ppg and their #'s look more pedestrian as a result. I realize that's in part due to their elite system and that's partially what gives them this flexibility, but it's also simply due to them all being HIGH impact players who know each others games inside out and can build huge leads (then rest) often. For Duncan to be able to average 15/10/3 with great D at age 37 in limited minutes is more than Pop, it's just him being the underrated force of nature that he is.

If Pop were a free agent, I'm willing to bet his stock in a trade would be something like a top prospect + a 1st or a low level All Star + a 1st.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    I don't disagree with your premise (it's possible you could make the argument Pop is the 3rd most important piece in the league... though it goes beyond him to the organization as a whole), but you're underestimating the skill/impact level of TP/Duncan/Kawhi/Manu/Splitter and having elite gunners from 3 to stretch the floor.

You might be underestimating their impact due to the fact that they're deep enough that they don't have to play any starter more than 30ppg and their #'s look more pedestrian as a result. I realize that's in part due to their elite system and that's partially what gives them this flexibility, but it's also simply due to them all being HIGH impact players who know each others games inside out and can build huge leads (then rest) often. For Duncan to be able to average 15/10/3 with great D at age 37 in limited minutes is more than Pop, it's just him being the underrated force of nature that he is.

If Pop were a free agent, I'm willing to bet his stock in a trade would be something like a top prospect + a 1st or a low level All Star + a 1st.
    Fair enough.

I think those guys are all damn good players (except Splitter who I think is ok because of the Pop effect). I just don't think this roster is good enough to be best team in the league. Parker hasn't been as good this year as the last 2, and there's no offensive juggernaut that at least 1 playoff team in the west (other than Memphis) has that is putting up elite production. That's the key point to me. The balance and the growth of guys like Danny Green and Patty Mills (who weren't the 3pt gunners they were before joining the Spurs, and I guess you can throw Bellinelli in there since he's having his best shooting season by far) turning into solid players is just awesome.

vCash
    I agree with the premise, but I would like to see every good coach have Buford in the FO.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadds The Gr8 View Post
    Fair enough.

I think those guys are all damn good players (except Splitter who I think is ok because of the Pop effect). I just don't think this roster is good enough to be best team in the league. Parker hasn't been as good this year as the last 2, and there's no offensive juggernaut that at least 1 playoff team in the west (other than Memphis) has that is putting up elite production. That's the key point to me. The balance and the growth of guys like Danny Green and Patty Mills turning into solid players is just awesome.
    I just watched Splitter play pretty brilliantly against Bogut so I can't leave him out, and TP may be a bit down from the arguable top-10 overall player he was the past couple years, but he's still very much playing prime ball.

In general we're on the same page though, Pop (and the organization as a whole) is built in a way that demands that you fall into place and clearly will make you better than the sum of your parts. With Westbrook and his knee trouble, it's tough to pick any team against them in the West (and probably overall) right now. Which, for a team whose demise people started predicting as early as 5 years ago with this core, is ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I agree with the premise, but I would like to see every good coach have Buford in the FO.
    If you said this before Duncan's decline, I'd definitely agree, but have they had great pickups or draft picks lately? Kawhi is the only good acquisition that comes to mind the past 3-4 years. Most guys on the roster are either declining players (Diaw), or bonafide bench players (Green, Mills, Belinelli) before they came.

vCash
    If you said this before Duncan's decline, I'd definitely agree, but have they had great pickups or draft picks lately? Kawhi is the only good acquisition that comes to mind the past 3-4 years. Most guys on the roster are either declining players (Diaw), or bonafide bench players (Green, Mills, Belinelli) before they came.
    uh, yes. Buford is an amazing GM. Even his protege is amazing.

Without Buford (or David's injury that "lasted" through the season), we would never consider Pops at his current level.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    uh, yes. Buford is an amazing GM. Even his protege is amazing.

Without Buford (or David's injury that "lasted" through the season), we would never consider Pops at his current level.
    I know he's an amazing GM, but since the "predicted demise of 5 years ago" like Tredigs mentioned, they haven't really had any noteworthy pickups on the roster other than Leonard, who's a pretty good player but no star. He hasn't had to go break bank/spend a shitload of $$$ or trade picks for quality players because Popovich is there and can make chicken salad outta chicken ****
    Last edited by Sadds The Gr8; 03-23-2014 at 01:36 AM.

vCash
    Truth, he got OD history to him, I deff wanna see him running in the office in the future like Pat & now Phil
    Be $wavy

vCash
    I know he's an amazing GM, but since the "predicted demise of 5 years ago" like Tredigs mentioned, they haven't really had any noteworthy pickups on the roster other than Leonard, who's a pretty good player but no star. He hasn't had to go break bank/spend a shitload of $$$ or trade picks for quality players because Popovich is there and can make chicken salad outta chicken ****
    you are seriously underrating their GM. He and Pops are working together at this point (have been for 10 years) on bringing in system players.

They both are equal on what has made the Spurs special.

vCash
    you are seriously underrating their GM. He and Pops are working together at this point (have been for 10 years) on bringing in system players.

They both are equal on what has made the Spurs special.
    of course they're working together. my point is that most of these guys they bring in are close to nothing w/o Pop's coaching. who would've thought guys like Green, Mills, Roger Mason (when he was there), would become quality role players? I don't think Buford could've expected what he's gotten out of those players. That's Pop to me.

If Pop goes to any other elite team he's just as successful IMO.

vCash
    Thibs is the best coach in the NBA.

Eisenhower says: SUCK ME.

Equipo De Chupame.

vCash
    Not 3rd but he's close.

He's the best coach there with Thibs a close 2nd.

vCash
    I completely agree with Sadds. Tony Parker-Manu Ginobili-Kawhi Leonard-etc. The Spurs system turned middle-late 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick into an unstoppable core. Pop has won 60% of his games for the last 15 years. That is unheard of. Waiver wire fodder like Mills-Diaw become great role players.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast