Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is Tonight (vs. Montreal) a Must-Win?

Wondering what you guys think about the urgency of tonight's game...or if it's really no reason to panic if the Leafs lose. IMO, I think it's a pretty crucial game for a few reasons;

1. It's always a big game vs. the Habs, but with the playoff and division positioning, it's pretty important to gt those two points
    2. They have to stop the bleeding. Right now I'd say it's a stubborn cut...but another 1-2 loses in a row, and it's an infected open wound.
    3. Confidence. I think this ties into the above, but this team, and Reimer in particular, needs a boost of bravado as they head into the final 10 games.

They've got some tough games coming up with Detroit (always a battle), Philly, St. Louis, and Boston...they've got to get these two points to maintain a soft playoff cushion.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by passengershawn; 03-22-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: wrong forum

vCash

vCash
    Nobody watches the Grey Cup anyway

vCash
    Go Habs go!

Laffs suck.

vCash
    Yikes, sorry about that guys...not sure how it ended up here!

vCash
    **** both those teams, Go Wings.
    Adopt a Packers
    SAM "Less than Tim Jennings the Nickel Corner" SHIELDS
    and Davante "I'm good at catching" Adams

Davante Adams

vCash
    It's a huge game if the Leafs want to be a #2 or #3 team in the division. It's really a meaningless game otherwise when you look at the standings. Losing this game pretty much makes it a safe bet that the Leafs make the playoffs as a Wildcard team if they make it at all.

In terms of rivalry, it's huge. In terms of stopping the bleeding it's huge. In terms of making the playoffs, it's really just another 2 points on the line, at the very worst.

I'll put it this way...

Leafs lose: MTL increases their lead on the Leafs. Means that the Leafs are further away from a #2 or #2 finish. They are mainly affected (in term of making the playoffs by only 3 teams behind them. IIRC Detroit, Columbus, or Washington. Any pairing of those teams passing the Leafs means no playoffs

Leafs win: It's a 4 point game. They creep closer to top-3 in the division and get a little more secure in the playoffs race. Means they can still be a top-3 seed in the Atlantic.

Win or lose, for the Leafs to make the playoffs they need to make sure only 1 team passes them at worst. The team that will probably pass them is Detroit. If the Leafs go 5-5-1 the rest of the way, they finish with 91 points. DET would have to go 6-6 to beat the Leafs, and CBJ would have to go 6-5-1. Leafs essentially have a 1-game lead going into tonight. This isn't the game (though it could help/hurt them depending on the outcome) but the real must-win is at DET (Mar.29) unless the Leafs go on a real impressive win streak right now that makes that game less important. Detroit has a bit of a tougher schedule than us (but have 2 games against Buffalo) so i like the Leafs chances but they aren't in the clear just yet.

vCash
    U have 2 threads of same topic,one should be closed,2 be honest both should be closed,pointless topic,off course it's must win,every game from on is a must win.

“The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

vCash
    does this really need it's own thread? Just go to the game thread passangershawn... It is an absolutely crucial game but these threads for single thoughts are getting annoying..

vCash
    Why is this a thread? Just ask the question in the game thread.

vCash
    I was going to respond with the question in the thread, but it's a combo Was<>Mon game thread, and no one (at the time) was talking about the game. I did try to close the thread (after I experienced the fail of posting to the NFL forum!), but I can't find how to close the thread...just to edit it.

However, point taken KingerSox & JaysLeafs98.

vCash
    Oh boy the Griffins are catchin up fast. I normally root for the Leafs, but for the first time in like 5 years I have to root for them losing every single game. #sorry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by passengershawn View Post
    I was going to respond with the question in the thread, but it's a combo Was<>Mon game thread, and no one (at the time) was talking about the game. I did try to close the thread (after I experienced the fail of posting to the NFL forum!), but I can't find how to close the thread...just to edit it.

However, point taken KingerSox & JaysLeafs98.
    You can't close threads, Optimized would have to do it, but they are combined threads for games now, so Optimized doesn't have to make a new one for every game since he does a ton of work for us already. Just next time, post anything like this in the game thread or general discussions and somebody will find it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Oh boy the Griffins are catchin up fast. I normally root for the Leafs, but for the first time in like 5 years I have to root for them losing every single game. #sorry.
    Nyquist... Jurco... Tatar... God I wish the Leafs would develop players the smart way like that...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Nyquist... Jurco... Tatar... God I wish the Leafs would develop players the smart way like that...
    Toronto' actually had a great system and handled the Kadri development great IMO. Media is also a bigger thing to adjust to in Toronto opposed to Detroit. During the Wings/Leafs game, there was actually talks on how the Leafs have improved their system.. Wings handled Nyquist okay, but keep in mnd he missed 20 games this season in Grand Rapids.. Tats is still super raw.. Jurco actually slipped in the draft.

I actually wasn't a fan of the Tyler Biggs pick though. A lot of the drafting on the backend seems to be puck moving defenseman as well, which is odd, because there's Phaneuf/Reilly/Flynn/Gardiner.

With that said, Toronto honestly loses games the same way. Their board play offensively is ****ing awful at the point. Nyquist scored twice the same way. Franson is absolutely garbage there. He's 6'5 and he refuses to make contact. Team needs a legit #2 two-way defenseman. Can't get far without one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast