Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: JJ Watt

vCash

JJ Watt

Anyone heard anything about how much he would make in his next contract? Trading Schaub gives us over $40m in cap space next offseason so I'm not worried about keeping him but, is there anyone to compare this situation to? Peppers went to the Bears when he was 30 and got 6 years, $91.5m and $42m guaranteed so I would guess it is significantly more than that, right? Just kind of curious on this and couldn't find anything

vCash
    I think he could very well make a case to be the most paid defensive player ever.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    his deal will exceed what Mario Williams signed. He might be the highest defensive player ever after this year. Hopefully the cap rises again to around $140 million. That would leave us with over $40 million.

I would expect us to cut JJ after next season, unless he finds the fountain of youth. That would save us an additional $8.5 million.

We could have near $50 million with just that move. I would assume Watt gets a 6 year, $130 million deal or so. His cap hit would be roughly $16-18 million depending on how we structure it, and what money is guaranteed, bonuses, etc.

We will have a lot of money regardless, a young starting QB on rookie scale (hopefully!), and we will also see a nice amount come off the following year when Dre leaves or takes way less, and we cut Foster (figuring we get one more year out of him).

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Haha you kind of scared me when you said "cut JJ". I thought you meant Watt and I was like wtf... But if we're going to cut Joseph or Foster we better have someone waiting to take over because right now there is absolutely nothing behind them. Obviously a rb won' be too hard to find but another corner might be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMays View Post
    Haha you kind of scared me when you said "cut JJ". I thought you meant Watt and I was like wtf... But if we're going to cut Joseph or Foster we better have someone waiting to take over because right now there is absolutely nothing behind them. Obviously a rb won' be too hard to find but another corner might be
    If Joseph has another season like his last 2, we cut him, period. He is making all Pro money at his position to be an above average corner at this point. He is an easy call. I mean, think of it this way:

Cut Joseph, and you can replace him by offering a young CB who has shown major talent with the exact money you are creating by cutting him.

Arian needs a bounceback year, and the lifespan of RB's is just not long. He would join the very long list of RB's that got a great deal because they played great for 2-3 years, then their body couldn't hold up so they were cut 2 years into a 4-5 year deal.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Packers report they will use Peppers as an OLB "elephant position"......I hope we draft Clowney and use both Watt and Clowney as OLB's......two elephants at the same time; as most teams are going hybrid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatman20 View Post
    Packers report they will use Peppers as an OLB "elephant position"......I hope we draft Clowney and use both Watt and Clowney as OLB's......two elephants at the same time; as most teams are going hybrid.
    Watt is a DL, period. I could see Clowney as an OLB in 2-4th down packages, he is lighter and more explosive than Watt.

Crennel's base defense is a 3-4 with lineman who hold gaps and attack the run, but after down 1, he always started moving guys around if they can rush the passer, and started playing more nickel.

vCash
    I really would have zero issue with drafting Clowney #1. Freak athlete, and could thrive next to JJ.