Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

d'Arnaud and the leash

Ok, so I have to start with the caveat that Spring Training results are meaningless and are often a poor indicator of what to expect during the reg season.

But not always. See: Ruben Tejada.

In case you havent figured it out by now im a tad concerned with Travis d'Arnaud. Hes been so terrible he might earn the nickname Travis d'Ontknow. (Laugh).

I understand he could start hitting as soon as the season starts but my question is what happens if the reg season is a continuation of Spring training? How long do we put him in the lineup before we send him back to the minors?

And if we do send him down is Plawecki far enough along in his development to be considered a viable replacement?

Thoughts?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash

d'Arnaud and the leash

I think he'll get a real long leash, ive seen the numbers but haven't read any negative things or heard any negative things despite that, I think unless he's batting under 200 or something he'll get the whole year.

vCash
    I think FoC is never one to rush to judgement.

But this is for you my friend:

http://www.wertel.pro/wp-content/upl...usions-mat.jpg
    Last edited by GottaBelieve; 03-22-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Catchers always learn hitting last. Struggles from a 25 year old catcher are not unexpected. He'll hit somewhere around .240/.310/.400 with 10-15 HRs in 100-110 games, 400-450 PAs. Expecting much more than that is unrealistic.

I guess since Tejada, Duda, and Davis are all hitting this week, we have to find something else to complain about. God forbid if we try to go through 1 week without being obnoxiously negative about somebody on our team.
    Last edited by WrightStuff82; 03-22-2014 at 09:47 AM.

vCash
    I remember back in 2006 when a 24 year old catcher came to the plate in game 7 of the playoffs. He hit .216 on the season, with a .595 OPS. Mets fans snickered. "No problem, we've got this," we all scoffed.

That weak hitting joke of a catcher hit a home run that cost the Mets a shot at the WS, and started a downward spiral that has brought us to where we are 6 years later.

Today, he's one of the best offensive catchers in the game.

The moral of the story...if you have a good defensive catcher who is struggling at the plate, give him time to figure it out. D'Arnaud is a very good defensive catcher.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo:28194779
    I remember back in 2006 when a 24 year old catcher came to the plate in game 7 of the playoffs. He hit .216 on the season, with a .595 OPS. Mets fans snickered. "No problem, we've got this," we all scoffed.

That weak hitting joke of a catcher hit a home run that cost the Mets a shot at the WS, and started a downward spiral that has brought us to where we are 6 years later.

Today, he's one of the best offensive catchers in the game.

The moral of the story...if you have a good defensive catcher who is struggling at the plate, give him time to figure it out. D'Arnaud is a very good defensive catcher.
    How do you know hes the one we should be waiting for instead of Kevin P?
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 03-22-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

7. 03-22-2014, 10:57 AM
    Reason
    Trolling

vCash
    Plawecki is two years younger than d'Arnaud and hasn't seen a pitch above A+ ball. I doubt he'll be ready this season. Certainly not in the eyes of this FO, at least.

I expect d'Arnaud's leash will be the entire season, assuming he's hitting above .200. I'm not worried about his spring performance. I can't even count how many screaming liners right to an OF he has hit. It's not like he's striking out a lot, and he has been drawing his walks. He'll be fine.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Is he starting with a red or a blue buff?

vCash
    Plawecki should be ready next year. But D'Arnaud will get this whole season as a leash. For two reasons. One is Plawecki is not ready but next year and two the backup options are horrendous. I as well am very concerned with his lack of hitting not just in spring but last year as well. But I think giving him this season will really see what he is with the bat. Only way I can see him not getting the whole season is if he is hitting under .220 playing everyday come August.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Plawecki is two years younger than d'Arnaud and hasn't seen a pitch above A+ ball. I doubt he'll be ready this season. Certainly not in the eyes of this FO, at least.

I expect d'Arnaud's leash will be the entire season, assuming he's hitting above .200. I'm not worried about his spring performance. I can't even count how many screaming liners right to an OF he has hit. It's not like he's striking out a lot, and he has been drawing his walks. He'll be fine.
    So Plawecki will start in Binghamton? Barring injury, d'Arnaud's got the whole year then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Ok, so I have to start with the caveat that Spring Training results are meaningless and are often a poor indicator of what to expect during the reg season.

In case you havent figured it out by now im a tad concerned with Travis d'Arnaud. Hes been so terrible he might earn the nickname Travis d'Ontknow. (Laugh).

I understand he could start hitting as soon as the season starts but my question is what happens if the reg season is a continuation of Spring training? How long do we put him in the lineup before we send him back to the minors?

And if we do send him down is Plawecki far enough along in his development to be considered a viable replacement?

Thoughts?
    d'Arnaud started slow last year also, then he began driving the ball a bit. To my eye he seems to be coming around a little, he has just missed on a few drives right down the left field line, and he is taking more balls. I really liked Plawecki's approach, this guy just looks hitterish up there and also seems fearless and unaffected by his surroundings. It's nice having this depth. I would hate to lose Plawecki in a trade.

vCash
    Juan Centeno future. Mets starting catcher.

vCash
    How do you know hes the one we should be waiting for instead of Kevin P?
    and Plawecki will very likely struggle his first couple years up in the bigs too. Then what.

.230 should be considered a solid year for d'Arnaud.

vCash
    So Plawecki will start in Binghamton? Barring injury, d'Arnaud's got the whole year then.
    This is correct. It's likely d'Arnaud gets all year to prove himself.

Then again, if Plawecki starts 2014 in AA the way he hit in 2013, he could be considered an option by July. He's 23, and played college ball. He may not be as far away as some people think.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash

Which is why you give a player on a bubble until ~May 15 to figure it out. But TdA will get a much longer leash-as long as his defense is good. And it depends on how bad he struggles. TC and company might prefer to step back and play him selectively--like they did with Lagares at first. If TdA is batting .189 on June 30, I think they would send him down for 2 months.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast