Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Grantland: Spurs run prettiest offense in NBA.

According to Grantland, the Spurs have the prettiest offense in the NBA: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/le...n-spurs-surge/
    I'm a Blazers fan, but I can buy it – the Blazers get hot, but the Spurs have way more staying power. They're probably the best team in the league right now and arguably the best small-market team in NBA history.
    The chief reason for that involves the humans wearing the jerseys. While the Spurs’ tactical architecture is impressive, it’s implemented by a roster of players dedicated to doing 'the little things,' every possession of every game.
    - Kirk Goldsberry, Grantland
    What do you think? And what if every team in the league operated like the Spurs?

vCash
    If more teams operated like the Spurs we'd be seeing some truly beautiful basketball night in and out instead of some of the nightmare schemes we have to watch now. Unfortunately for the other 29 teams, there's still only ONE Pops.

On a side note, I found the video "the loop" remarkably entertaining. It's amazing that you can get SO much mileage out of a single play. Granted it relies heavily on the BBIQ of the roster, but still... the motion, cutting and decisions while moving are a thing of beauty.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    The Spurs also don't practice this time of year. We just play games and rest a lot.

vCash
    They're unbelievably boring to watch imo but they're damb good. Like a machine.

RUDY

vCash
    They have a great FO and coach who has stabilized a roster long term, which means you can implement a system, and after a few years, if your core players are the same, you can integrate new players in easily without skipping a beat.

Notice that even in end of game situations, the Spurs stay away from isolation, and run set plays. Hence why they win so many close games.

They are the model of consistency. Arguably the best sports team of the past 20 years, if we measure that entire span.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I didn't think people still felt this way about the Spurs. Is it 2007 again?

vCash
    They're unbelievably boring to watch imo
    What? Are you serious? They're easily one of my favourite teams to watch in the West after the Warriors. I've always admired the Spurs, for as long as I can remember. They just play really beautiful team ball. I love it.

vCash
    Excellence is boring?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSpurs23 View Post
    I didn't think people still felt this way about the Spurs. Is it 2007 again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
    What? Are you serious? They're easily one of my favourite teams to watch in the West after the Warriors. I've always admired the Spurs, for as long as I can remember. They just play really beautiful team ball. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityofChaos View Post
    Excellence is boring?
    They aren't flashy or high flying or crazy athletic. Thats my kind of fun basketball.

RUDY

vCash
    And water is wet.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    Whenever they face the Raptors, they always have their role players play like stars. So smooth and silky.

vCash
    Ball movement basketball is always prettier. More often than not, it wins games too.

vCash
    It still amazes me that when teams try to emulate the Spurs, and they all do to some extent, all they think is "get the #1 pick and land a Tim Duncan". Establish a core, implement a system, and then find players that fit in. Is it the only way to win? Absolutely not. But if you want to be a perpetual contender for more than a decade, you might want to consider it.

vCash
    i wonder how things are gonna change for the spurs when duncan and giniboli retire though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdevil84 View Post
    i wonder how things are gonna change for the spurs when duncan and giniboli retire though...
    Marco takes manus spot and Kawhi becomes 2nd option and we get cap space to get another great player. Preferably another big.

"I know some people might be disappointed with his apparent lack of production...but when you look past the raw numbers, you can tell he's having a much better season this year:

His 2012-2013 averages: 11.9 ppg (59.2 TS%), 6 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.7 spg, .6 bpg, 16.4 USG%, and a 16.4 PER while playing 31.2 mpg

His averages this year: 12.2 ppg (60 TS%), 6.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.8 spg, 1.3 TO, 18 USG%, and a 18.6 PER playing 28.9 mpg

His averages in 2014: 13 ppg (67.8 TS%), 6.3 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.7 spg, 1.5 TO playing 29.4 mpg

Offensive Synergy stats: 1.06 ppp overall (31st in the league), 5th in isolation plays, 1st in post-ups, 11th on cuts, 25th in transition plays

Defensive Synergy stats: .77 ppp overall (42nd in the league), 45th in isolation plays, 21st on plays where he guards the PnR ballhandler, 8th in guarding hand-offs

Make no mistake: if Kawhi was getting 32-33 mpg, he'd be putting up the numbers some of you were hoping to see coming into this year. When you look at his raw numbers, it looks like he's basically having an identical season compared to last year. But when you throw in the fact he's putting up slightly better numbers while playing LESS minutes, you can tell he's improved noticeably. Also, his USG% has increased, so he does have a bigger role this year, contrary to some people thinking his role hasn't changed at all."

Stole that from spursfan86 spurstalk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast