Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Pirates Prediction Contest

I don't have the time for a 3rd annual PSD Fan of the Year contest but as an alternative I'm going to do a preseason prediction contest. There will be no monthly installments these preseason predictions are the entire contest. The scoring is quite simple getting an answer exactly right will earn you 2 points, if no one gets the question exactly right the person with the closest answer gets one point. I was tempted to pose a question about every significant Pirates player for 2014 but instead I opted to cap it at 11 (as otherwise it probably would have been over 30) with two team questions worth a total of three points. All of this means a perfect score will be 25 but that is highly unlikely. There will be at least 13 points handed out though so I hope to get a winner.

*Whoever is the closest to #12 will receive 2 points regardless of if they are exactly right. There will also be one point awarded for whomever is closest to the tie breaker. The tie breaker will be used to break ties both for question #12 and for the contest as a whole.

Good Luck!

1. Andrew Lambo - How many RBI will he have?

2. Pedro Alvarez - How many HR will he have?

3. Jordy Mercer - What will his batting average be?

4. Starling Marte - How many stolen bases will he have?

5. Andrew McCutchen - How many combined HR and SB will he have?

6. Gregory Polanco - On what date will he be called up?

7. Francisco Liriano - How many wins will he have?

8. Gerrit Cole - How many strike outs will he have?

9. Edinson Volquez - What will be his ERA?

10. Jameson Taillon - On what date will he make his first start?

11. Jason Grilli - How many saves will he have?

*12. Pirates - How many games will they win?

*Tie Breaker: How many runs will the Pirates score this season?
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    I did these as quickly as I could with no research/looking at projections. In part to test my "knowledge", also to ensure I don't win "Pirate Fan of the Year" or whatever...because we all know I'm not that !

Understandable that you're not doing monthly. That's a lot more work than people realize. I've done similar stuff in the past and it gets laborious. Regardless, you're the man and thanks for making this forum what it is!

1. Andrew Lambo - How many RBI will he have?

2. Pedro Alvarez - How many HR will he have?

3. Jordy Mercer - What will his batting average be?

4. Starling Marte - How many stolen bases will he have?

5. Andrew McCutchen - How many combined HR and SB will he have?

6. Gregory Polanco - On what date will he be called up?

June 16th

7. Francisco Liriano - How many wins will he have?

8. Gerrit Cole - How many strike outs will he have?

9. Edinson Volquez - What will be his ERA?

******...err....5.26

10. Jameson Taillon - On what date will he make his first start?

June 18

11. Jason Grilli - How many saves will he have?

*12. Pirates - How many games will they win?

*Tie Breaker: How many runs will the Pirates score this season?

162 x 4.1 = 664

vCash

The full contest may return next year but I just have no chance of being able to keep up with it this year. I'm getting married and planning a rather large wedding and moving (hopefully twice) this summer. I'd be out of commission with all this until probably August.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    The full contest may return next year but I just have no chance of being able to keep up with it this year. I'm getting married and planning a rather large wedding and moving (hopefully twice) this summer. I'd be out of commission with all this until probably August.
    I plan on completing this later today while I'm at work lol. Subbing is essentially babysitting, so it gets pretty boring most days.

I was actually going to ask if you had gotten married yet

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    I plan on completing this later today while I'm at work lol. Subbing is essentially babysitting, so it gets pretty boring most days.

I was actually going to ask if you had gotten married yet
    So our Pirates historian (by the way that is your honorary position) is a sub now, huh?

The wedding is on the 28th of June so still a bit away but coming quickly. On a related note I'm not sure how active I'll be on here around then.

vCash
    Ha, it is a position I will gladly accept.

For now though, yes, I am a sub or as I sometimes call it, a nomad teacher. If you guys know of any schools looking for a social studies teacher, please, let me know lol. I swear it's me and like 2,000 other people all looking for the same job. The Pittsburgh area has a gluttony of teachers looking for openings that just aren't coming as quickly as they need to be.

Yeah, I can imagine it seems like it's coming pretty quickly. Obviously I don't have much experience with wedding planning (that's still a few years away) but I would expect you not to be on that much and for good reason lol; I don't think your fiancee would appreciate that too much

vCash
    I'm about 2 hours from Pittsburgh so any openings I end up knowing about probably won't interest you all that much. So now with out historian (Tomahawk), medical expert (ManRam) and myself (unofficial leader) all thats left is to find jobs for the rest of our contributors. JNev, WVNowitzki, PF1981, tripleplayer, LGP and anyone else I forgot about feel free to chime in and let us know something about your background. You'll be given an honorary title that as Tomahawk will attest to later makes you stand out amongst thousands on your resume

As for the rest my fiancee probably wouldn't appreciate it too much but I think I might have convinced her to put a Pirates games into our honeymoon plans.

vCash
    I'm also about an hour and a half north of Pittsburgh, but am moving down to Pittsburgh in the next few weeks.

I have a degree in Multidisciplinary Studies from WVU, with my concentration in Sports and Exercise Psychology, Communications and Sociology. Been tough out there on the job market for me as well, but things have been looking up lately and hopefully I land one of these jobs I have interviewed for / am interviewing for. If they don't work out, I'm an acquaintance of the AD of Duquesne University and we are going to be discussing some possible avenues in the sports field.

I wish I could be of more help, but I don't really have any leads at the moment. Plus the area I'm in right now is fairly small and a few people I know who are teachers (my ex-girlfriend being one) are struggling to find work or were furloughed. She ended up taking a pre-K job as a place holder until a position opens up.

Also - when I get a little bit of free time later, I'll fill out my predictions, I haven't forgot.

vCash

So you are the boards psychologist? We will rely on you to give us insight into the players minds (as well as maybe our own). Sounds good. Now that we have this cracked team assembled who can tell me what Volquez's problem is (mental, physical or historical)?

vCash
    As promised earlier:

1. Andrew Lambo - How many RBI will he have? 41

2. Pedro Alvarez - How many HR will he have? 40

3. Jordy Mercer - What will his batting average be? .274

4. Starling Marte - How many stolen bases will he have? 49

5. Andrew McCutchen - How many combined HR and SB will he have? 53

6. Gregory Polanco - On what date will he be called up? June 28 (A wedding gift for the newlyweds)

7. Francisco Liriano - How many wins will he have? 16

8. Gerrit Cole - How many strike outs will he have? 139

9. Edinson Volquez - What will be his ERA? 4.3

10. Jameson Taillon - On what date will he make his first start? August 8

11. Jason Grilli - How many saves will he have? 42

*12. Pirates - How many games will they win? 90

*Tie Breaker: How many runs will the Pirates score this season? 655

Again, as we all say every year, thanks for putting this together, it certainly adds another fun aspect to the season.

vCash
    I'm about 2 hours from Pittsburgh so any openings I end up knowing about probably won't interest you all that much. So now with out historian (Tomahawk), medical expert (ManRam) and myself (unofficial leader) all thats left is to find jobs for the rest of our contributors. JNev, WVNowitzki, PF1981, tripleplayer, LGP and anyone else I forgot about feel free to chime in and let us know something about your background. You'll be given an honorary title that as Tomahawk will attest to later makes you stand out amongst thousands on your resume

As for the rest my fiancee probably wouldn't appreciate it too much but I think I might have convinced her to put a Pirates games into our honeymoon plans.
    Yeaaaah, 2 hours is outside my range, for now at least. If this job search goes on for any prolonged period of time though, 2 hours may not be outside the realm of possibility lol. I actually just included "Pro Sports Daily, Pirates Forum, Honorary Historian" to my resume. I don't want to speak too soon, but if that doesn't put me over the top, I don't know what will.

Pirates game as part of the honeymoon? Yep, she's a keeper (although I guess the wedding is a pretty good indication of that).

Quote Originally Posted by WVNowitzki View Post
    I'm also about an hour and a half north of Pittsburgh, but am moving down to Pittsburgh in the next few weeks.

I have a degree in Multidisciplinary Studies from WVU, with my concentration in Sports and Exercise Psychology, Communications and Sociology. Been tough out there on the job market for me as well, but things have been looking up lately and hopefully I land one of these jobs I have interviewed for / am interviewing for. If they don't work out, I'm an acquaintance of the AD of Duquesne University and we are going to be discussing some possible avenues in the sports field.

I wish I could be of more help, but I don't really have any leads at the moment. Plus the area I'm in right now is fairly small and a few people I know who are teachers (my ex-girlfriend being one) are struggling to find work or were furloughed. She ended up taking a pre-K job as a place holder until a position opens up.

Also - when I get a little bit of free time later, I'll fill out my predictions, I haven't forgot.
    Are you around the Franklin area by chance?

Good luck with all of the interviews, sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm a Duquesne alum (that makes me sound/feel older than I really am) and I can say that when the four sports were cut a few years ago, he was not a popular guy around campus. I can't speak for how he is as a person but if he helps get you a job, that's all that matters.

So you are the boards psychologist? We will rely on you to give us insight into the players minds (as well as maybe our own). Sounds good. Now that we have this cracked team assembled who can tell me what Volquez's problem is (mental, physical or historical)?
    I am really liking the way this rag tag group is assembling. If a few of the other guys join in, we should have a pretty broad scope of problems/questions/whatever that fall within our combined area of expertise.

As the board historian, I can say that Volquez's problem is not historical. Seeing as how he has had good seasons mixed with bad, there is no definite trend to look at. One of our other experts will hopefulyl be able to diagnose his troubles

vCash

Just to get it out there in case I haven't my speciality is in computer science so I haven't figured out a better use of my talents yet (I have a decent math background so if no math majors step up I'll become our statistical analyst). Sort of in the same position as you guys on the job front except I have a decent entry level job. I'm looking for something better but not finding much.

vCash
    I thought you had something to do with computers so you may have mentioned that before; either that or I'm a mind reader or something. For a sport like baseball, a statistical analyst is always useful.

I can't complain too much about the job front either. While I still want a permanent job in my field, I have been getting semi-regular sub work, have a part time maintenance job, as well as part time carpentry work. None of the three really pay that well and it does make for some long days, but better that than no work available

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    Are you around the Franklin area by chance?
    As a matter of fact I am. Was born in Oil City, which is about 20 mins from Franklin but live in Clarion right now, about 40 minutes away from there.

I just got a call today about an interview with the Post Gazette on Thursday though, so crossing my fingers on that.

As far as Volquez's problem, I really haven't witnessed him pitch this year, history suggests he can get the job done, but I'd have to come at it from a psychology standpoint. I'd really have to watch him a few times to deduce it better, but it's got to be mental at this point.

-------

As far as my predictions go:

1. Andrew Lambo - How many RBI will he have? 35

2. Pedro Alvarez - How many HR will he have? 27

3. Jordy Mercer - What will his batting average be? .268

4. Starling Marte - How many stolen bases will he have? 38

5. Andrew McCutchen - How many combined HR and SB will he have? 55

6. Gregory Polanco - On what date will he be called up? June 5th

7. Francisco Liriano - How many wins will he have? 12

8. Gerrit Cole - How many strike outs will he have? 112

9. Edinson Volquez - What will be his ERA? 6.3

10. Jameson Taillon - On what date will he make his first start? June 7th

11. Jason Grilli - How many saves will he have? 25

*12. Pirates - How many games will they win? 87

*Tie Breaker: How many runs will the Pirates score this season? 642
    Last edited by WVNowitzki; 03-26-2014 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVNowitzki View Post
    As a matter of fact I am. Was born in Oil City, which is about 20 mins from Franklin but live in Clarion right now, about 40 minutes away from there.

I just got a call today about an interview with the Post Gazette on Thursday though, so crossing my fingers on that.
    My family has a camp around that area, closer to Oil City though. Really love it up there, just so nice to get away and be outside primarily... the house isn't that nice lol. Can't say I've ever been to Clarion, played the college in rugby 2 or 3 years ago but that's as far as my Clarion experience goes.

I swear our careers are intertwined somehow. You have an interview Thursday and I just found out there is a job posting in one of the districts I sub in; I just so happened to be subbing for the woman (whose job will be available) today and will be again on Thursday. Our fortunes may be looking up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast