Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Should the Carleton Ravens Join the NCAA Div1?

The Carleton Raven are the most successful Canadian university team in Canada and have won 9 of the past 11 titles.They have played several exhibition games vs NCAA Div 1 competition and fared well defeating teams like #2 ranked Wisconsin Badgers (scoring 95 against them the most all year), TCU (by 26 points),Townson (by 26 points) and nearly beating the Syracuse Orange( losing in OT). So my question is should the Ravens be allowed to join the NCAA (Div1)? There is already a Canadian University in Div 2 (Simon Fraser) but there never has been a div 1 team from Canada.

http://grantland.com/features/carlet...ndrew-wiggins/

vCash
    no american schools only

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walls Era View Post
    no american schools only
    there's already a Canadian school in it so you might want to find a time machine.

vCash
    not in div 1. idc about div 2 -3. no one makes brackets for them.

vCash
    i know some idiot loser who did engineering there so **** carleton.

vCash
    I don't see why not if they can legitimately compete with the other Div 1 schools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walls Era View Post
    i know some idiot loser who did engineering there so **** carleton.
    Haha, i'm pretty sure you can find a d-bag at all schools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N3TS View Post
    I don't see why not if they can legitimately compete with the other Div 1 schools.
    Only problem I can see is that it might lead to a powerhouse because most the kids from Canada would likely go there,whereas, in the US there's multiple schools so the talent gets divided (would be like if NY had one college). Who knows if they had been in the NCAA this year their team could have looked like:

Pg Ennis/Mullings/Pangos
    Sg Stauskas/Hanlan
    Sf Wiggins/Ejim
    PF Birch/Powell
    C Bhullar/Bachynski

**Although I doubt that team would ever happen because a lot of those player wouldn't want to be bench players.
    Last edited by TorontoHuskies; 03-20-2014 at 05:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoHuskies View Post
    Only problem I can see is that it might lead to a powerhouse because most the kids from Canada would likely go there,whereas, in the US there's multiple schools so the talent gets divided (would be like if NY had one college). Who knows if they had been in the NCAA this year their team could have looked like:

Pg Ennis/Mullings/Pangos
    Sg Stauskas/Hanlan
    Sf Wiggins/Ejim
    PF Birch/Powell
    C Bhullar/Bachynski

**Although I doubt that team would ever happen because a lot of those player wouldn't want to be bench players.
    Must say that is a pretty crazy line-up.

Thing to consider is would Canadian athletes automatically choose Carleton over universities in the States just because it is a Canadian university?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by punkz View Post
    Must say that is a pretty crazy line-up.

Thing to consider is would Canadian athletes automatically choose Carleton over universities in the States just because it is a Canadian university?
    It really depend on the program Carleton develops IMO. Initially though I don't think Carleton would be able to put a team like that together because the top US schools are obviously going to have better coaching/facilities than them. Having said that, a lot of Canadian players have trouble becoming academically eligible for US schools because of our differing education systems which could definately benefit a school like Carleton over a US university. Perfect example is Xavier Rathan Mayes for Florida state, he was ruled academically ineligible and suspended for a year from the team because some of his coursework didn't satisfy the NCAA (probably had a Canadian history class when he needed an American one). A guy like that would have been playing right now if he was on Carleton.
    Last edited by TorontoHuskies; 03-20-2014 at 08:11 AM.

vCash
    Damn I didn't know this, that's pretty cool...who's the other Canadian team in the NCAA?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousbig21 View Post
    Damn I didn't know this, that's pretty cool...who's the other Canadian team in the NCAA?
    The only Canadian team right now in the NCAA is Simon Fraser University (Div II) but a lot of people have been saying Carleton should join too.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UyriOVcnjTM
    Last edited by TorontoHuskies; 03-20-2014 at 08:44 AM.

vCash
    Couldn't there be complication traveling with visa issues? I feel like the teams currently in D1 wouldn't really want it

vCash
    no. too complicated and they have their own country. and competing in exhibition games doesnt mean they can play d 1
    Last edited by 2-ONE-5; 03-23-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Your 2014 OPSL Champs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoHuskies View Post

Pg Ennis/Mullings/Pangos
    Sg Stauskas/Hanlan
    Sf Wiggins/Ejim
    PF Birch/Powell
    C Bhullar/Bachynski

Nope. Guys like Wiggins, Ennis, etc would still go to American schools because they get more TV time that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast