Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Harvey unhappy with Mets Brass/Mets FO are a joke

Mets a joke as per usual. Cant believe they are treating the future face of their organization like this.

“I expressed that seven months in Port St. Lucie is a long time,” he said. “For me, I strongly felt that my best opportunity, and my motivation to come back quicker, stronger, work harder would be to be with the teammates. That’s kind of what I have always said. I have worked so hard to get to the big leagues and be with this team, it just felt like all of a sudden I was shooed to the back.”

Why does he say that?

“It’s just the fact that I have been not allowed to talk to anybody, and that every tweet or Instagram I send is, do not write,” Harvey said. “My locker -- me and (Jeremy Hefner, also rehabbing) was basically in a closet. I didn’t think that was right. I don’t know exactly who was in charge of the situation. [“That was a decision made by clubhouse personnel,” GM Sandy Alderson later told me].

“I have worked so hard to get to the point where I was, and all of a sudden I get hurt, and it’s ‘you’ve got to stay in Florida,’” Harvey said. “‘You’ve got to disappear from New York, you’ve got to do this.’ I took pride in living in New York, and being a New Yorker. I live there all year round. It’s a place I love being.”

To be clear: This stuff was said in the morning. In a moment, you’ll see why that’s an important distinction.

He continued, impassioned: “I love going to the ballpark every day. I love watching. I love being the first guy in the dugout when we have a home game, and giving guys high five every time they come off the field. I take pride in that. And with that, I think being a good teammate is part of being a leader, and that’s how I’d like to see myself.”

About seven minutes into our conversation, Harvey and I noticed Mets PR man Jay Horwitz standing in front of us, glaring.

“He’s alright, Jay,” Harvey said. “Jay, he’s alright.”

“What?” I said to Horwitz.

“I’ll talk to you later,” Horwitz said to me.

“OK,” I said, but Horwitz did not move.

“He’s good, Jay,” Harvey said again. “He’s good. If somebody at the top needs to talk, I’ll talk to him.”

“You’re causing me some problems,” Horwitz said to me.

“OK,” I said, then turned back to Harvey.

“Are you writing something?” Horwitz said. “Can I --”

“Jay,” Harvey said. “If somebody needs to talk to the Players’ Association, I have a right to have him writing about me.”
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/bas...es-meets-with-
    Last edited by waveycrockett; 03-18-2014 at 09:54 PM.

vCash
    The way this organization handles its PR and communication with its own players is consistently a joke.

No matter how professional they approach the business of acquiring and developing baseball talent, they always pull crap like this with their own players and look like monkeys.

People loved blaming Omar for these messes when he was here but I hope those people can now take a step back and realize this problem goes higher and deeper within the organization.

They need to hire a PR consulting firm that would invariable tell them to fire anyone associated with the PR department today and lock Jeff and Fred in a closet without a phone.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash

Harvey unhappy with Mets Brass/Mets FO are a joke

Like I said, the circus is always in town. There is no escaping bad, meddlesome ownership.

-Stork

vCash
    The Mets should be kissing the ground this kid fell into their laps. They should be moving heaven and earth to accommodate him. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. They stick the kid in a &^%&* closet and tell him to shut up. Typical.

vCash
    I'm with the Mets on this one. Harvey needs to get over himself. Seriously.

He should rehab in Florida where the weather is nice and everything is controlled. The Mets obviously don't want him back this season, but he doesn't get the hint.

Harvey being in NY will just be a distraction, but he craves the attention I suppose. The Mets are tired of being asked about him and his progress when the time table is the same.

I don't blame them for that one bit. I want to focus on the team we have at hand.

vCash
    The mets do nothing rite.. Yes Harvey should probably not speak out but unreal.. Feel like eeyore.. Ohh bother.. Always something! Mets jets Knicks n isles!! Sick of it yet not surprised !
    We got this!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post

He should rehab in Florida where the weather is nice and everything is controlled. The Mets obviously don't want him back this season, but he doesn't get the hint.

Harvey being in NY will just be a distraction, but he craves the attention I suppose. The Mets are tired of being asked about him and his progress when the time table is the same.

I don't blame them for that one bit. I want to focus on the team we have at hand.
    Bottom line is Harvey is the Mets most important player now and for the next 10 years. You do whatever you can to accommodate him. Sounds like the kid is depressed down their in Florida. You move heaven and earth to keep him happy. Down the road when the guy is a dominant pitcher and it's time for him to decide to stay or leave he will not forget this.

vCash

Figures you would be., Can we start the count down to when he is the Yankees ace? I am surprised Dolan does not own the Mets. Maybe they all take trips together and talk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    Bottom line is Harvey is the Mets most important player now and for the next 10 years. You do whatever you can to accommodate him. Sounds like the kid is depressed down their in Florida. You move heaven and earth to keep him happy. Down the road when the guy is a dominant pitcher and it's time for him to decide to stay or leave he will not forget this.
    For 2014, Matt Harvey is irrelevant.

He needs to pipe down and concentrate on being the pitcher he was before...plain and simple. He's starving for attention and he's showing his immaturity by not following the Mets' wishes.

I LOVE Harvey on the mound, but off the mound he's a douche. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

vCash
    For 2014, Matt Harvey is irrelevant.

He needs to pipe down and concentrate on being the pitcher he was before...plain and simple. He's starving for attention and he's showing his immaturity by not following the Mets' wishes.

I LOVE Harvey on the mound, but off the mound he's a douche. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.
    For 2014 the Mets are irrelevant. Our own GM would tell you so there is that. Keep that kid healthy AND happy plain and simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Labruno View Post
    Figures you would be., Can we start the count down to when he is the Yankees ace? I am surprised Dolan does not own the Mets. Maybe they all take trips together and talk.
    Are you saying that I support the Mets in everything they do? Apparently you haven't seen me post enough.

Right now we have Harvey until after the 2018. If the Yankees want to throw $300m at him when he's 30 years old with a surgically repaired elbow, they can go right ahead.

Until then, I'll enjoy Harvey's prime years and take it from there.

vCash
    Piazza was right about Jay Horwitz. Yes he is a beloved character and he is a tireless worker, but he did to Harvey, what he did to Piazza, he made an awkward situation. All of these public relations snafus, well, Jay is the Mets publicist. The move that SA should make is to put jay in a higher position, where his hustle may payoff without making the Mets look like arsholes all the time.

vCash
    Harvey is acting up a bit here. It's routine for players to rehab in St. Lucie from Santana and Beltran to Baxter and Turner. Other teams stars and bench players typically rehab in Florida and Arizona as well. Naturally he wants to be in NYC instead. St. Lucie is dull as hell, but he's getting pushy and he has just 1 year of service time.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    For 2014 the Mets are irrelevant. Our own GM would tell you so there is that. Keep that kid healthy AND happy plain and simple.
    That's not the point. Harvey is being extremely selfish and no one is interested in hearing about him this year because he's not coming back. Him being around the team will just create distractions.

Harvey just doesn't want people to forget about him.

vCash
    As a fan, do you care if Harvey is being pushy? Or that he wants to be in NY while rehabbing to work his way back to a mound so he can win games while we cheer?

This guy is an extreme competitor. He eats a gluten free diet. He works out like a maniac. He takes complete care of his body and seems to understand very well just how important his body and health are to his profession.

I'm thrilled this type of athlete and competitor is on my team. His type doesn't come around very often.

And quite frankly, we've seen this team's PR department drop the ball so many damn times over the years with their own players that they really don't have the credibility to feign superiority and innocence in this matter.

He is their young star, injured or not. If his locker was going to be moved, he should have been informed. If the team didn't want him telling the media how badly he wants to work hard so he can get back on a mound to pitch for them at a bargain basement contract rate, they should have told him discreetly and respectfully.

And if they don't like him talking to a reporter after all that, they should have quietly pulled him aside afterwards to explain their reasoning to him - not send Jay Horowitz to basically cause an embarrassing scene with Harvey and a reporter.

They have zero credibility in this aspect of their business.
    Go Grab My Belt

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast