Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Should the Dodgers be concerned about their bench?

Look at the names they have...Chone Figgins, Justin Turner, Scott Van Slyke...will these guys replace what Punto and Schumaker did? I'm a little bit concerned about Uribe, I think he's a contract year player, who do you see playing 3B if he comes back down to earth. 2B and 3B are problems right now IMO

vCash
    Keep in mind Ethier should move to the bench once Kemp returns, yeah our bench doesn't look great, but I don't think many teams have a "great" bench.
    Foam Party!

vCash
    Yes. A true weakness to this team.

vCash
    Ethier (L), Van Slyke (R), Federowicz (R), Gordon (L), Turner (R) is what I think it's eventually gonna come down too, I imagine it could be worse.
    Foam Party!

vCash
    Yes. Injuries and lack of depth kept the Dodgers out of the world series last season IMO.

vCash
    I think the bench looms as a weakness as well but I dont see 2b or 3b being weak points for us. There is something different about Uribe ever since Hanley and Puig got here. He seems to be more relaxed than the first 2 years he played with us. I also think its only a matter of time before Guerrero figures out the spot too at 2b and who knows maybe Gordon finally gets his act together and becomes productive finally. He showed what he is valuable for this spring in the SB department but his problem has always been getting on base. If he can't get on base either by walks, hitting, or bunting then he is absolutely worthless. I admit I have not been an advocate for Gordon at all in years past but I am hoping he succeeds now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MDI View Post
    Look at the names they have...Chone Figgins, Justin Turner, Scott Van Slyke...will these guys replace what Punto and Schumaker did? I'm a little bit concerned about Uribe, I think he's a contract year player, who do you see playing 3B if he comes back down to earth. 2B and 3B are problems right now IMO
    Meh.
    Someone like Filihok could provide the advanced stats that might help us compare...but my gut feeling is that we're not going to lose anything by jettisoning Punto and Schumaker. Punto was good to throw around the diamond defensively...but I don't think we'll miss much from the both of them offensively. I think the combination of SVS/Gordon/Turner..and soon enough, Guerrero, will MORE than make up for losing those two guys specifically. I see SVS putting up some power numbers even with limited ABs. I'm sure Turner and Gordon will do well defensively (if Gordon can keep throwing the ball straight).
    Fernando Valenzuela, Troy Aikman & THE Earvin "Magic" Johnson

vCash
    Absolutely. A weak bench may have gotten weaker, unless Kemp returns and plays well relegating Eithier or Crawford to the bench and improving it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoMania View Post
    Meh.
    Someone like Filihok could provide the advanced stats that might help us compare...but my gut feeling is that we're not going to lose anything by jettisoning Punto and Schumaker. Punto was good to throw around the diamond defensively...but I don't think we'll miss much from the both of them offensively. I think the combination of SVS/Gordon/Turner..and soon enough, Guerrero, will MORE than make up for losing those two guys specifically. I see SVS putting up some power numbers even with limited ABs. I'm sure Turner and Gordon will do well defensively (if Gordon can keep throwing the ball straight).
    Easy...don't encourage him...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    Ethier (L), Van Slyke (R), Federowicz (R), Gordon (L), Turner (R) is what I think it's eventually gonna come down too, I imagine it could be worse.
    My thoughts exactly we are set once everyone gets healthy, and even if we don't get too 100% we still have starting level bench players at OF and hopefully (I believe in Gordon and Guerrero) SS/2B. Heck Hanley can even move to third in a pinch which I think will inevitably be his position 2-3 years from now.