Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

No leadership again

The problem with this team is a lack of accountability from the players themselves. Suh, Fairley, Stafford, Calvin, Reggie & Joique aren't vocal on the field. None of those guys are the field generals so many good teams have.

We lost Nate & Delmas who were the team cheerleaders, but really haven't replaced them with any vocal leadership.

I think a big part of our undisciplined play and frequent late collapses has to do with the fact that there are no players on this team to rally around. Calvin makes big plays but doesn't really fire up the troops. Neither does Suh.

I don't think there are any FA vet leaders available (Ed Reed? He uses a cane though), and any rookie that comes in will need a year or two before they can start rallying the others.

Unless Stafford turns into that guy on offense, and someone steps up on D, I'm afraid we'll see a lot more stretches of uninspired play, like we have in the past.

Does leadership even matter at all?

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

Post of the decade:
    Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Tulloch:

Born & Raised in Michigan but now in Columbus Ohio
    vCash
    For the most part No it doesn't matter. People should not have to be told what to do. Burleson and Delmas were horrible to me. If you want leaders Tulloch should step up and Dominic in his last year for the offense.
    [URL=http://gifsoup.com]GIFSoup

Kingwood A Man Before His Time Dvd in Stores

vCash
    Good thread! This has been our problem for a long time now. I do think that the coaching staff can help with this some; especially given how many of them on the staff have SB rings.

Bringing in players that have "been there before" like Reggie Bush, James Ihedigbo and Golden Tate also helps but I think we have a ways to go. If this doesn't work with Caldwell, this whole team is going down the drain for years to come!

The main point of concern needs to be how many "good" seasons does Calvin have left in him. He is going into his 9th season (doesn't seem that long, but it has been) and will not play at a 1,500-2,000 level for much longer. Our window could close befire it even really opens!

vCash
    Good to turn over the staff and players in an effort to get rid of the bad apples, I just don't know if we got rid of them all yet. I hope Stafford isn't part of the problem. One of the people I talk Lions with says Stafford has a weak psyche and that his lack of mental fortitude will be his downfall. As each year passes I understand this idea more.

I also think we have discarded some good influences. Shawn Jefferson (WR coach) was a BIG mistake to let go. He stayed on Calvin and kept him working. Calvin looked lazy last year...sorry. I mean I know he was in shape but the guy olé-ed passes and dropped some easy ones. I think Jefferson was always in his ear making him better and we don't have that anymore.

The team definitely lacks leadership. Hopefully getting rid of Shartz and Delmas will help. Shartz was way too emotional for a head coach and I think that was a bad influence. I also think that anyone that listened to a word that the mental midget Delmas said was dumber for it.
    #66 LaAdrian Waddle

vCash
    I agree Schwartz was a horrible leader but the delmas comment was too funny

vCash
    Ed Reed must not have that great of leadership, wasn't there a stat that he was 0-15 or something in the games he played last year? Haha I know that has no bearing on his leadership, just thought it was funny, especially seeing how he was on 3 different teams. I really hope we end up signing Ihedigbo, think with his past experiences with Austin in Baltimore will be good for the Lions. That happens and we are really set up nicely on draft day.

But you have brought up an interesting point about the lack of vet leadership; maybe the change in coaching staff will have an effect on that though. The thing I wish we had on defense was a secondary player like Sherman. Yea he is annoying and sometimes over the top but I think his confidence in his ability and him thinking he is the best at the position really works in his favor. To have that amount of confidence/cockiness on defense not only works for him but also rubs off on the rest of the defense. I want a defensive back that will get in the offensive players face and tell them he is not going to get open, and then back it up. Ability is one thing but to have a great deal of confidence/cockiness, in my opinion, makes a player that much better.

vCash
    I think it clearly matters. It doesn't seem like we've had a leadership guy sinec KVB left. And even then, we were one of the worst teams when it comes to stupid penalties. I know that Delmas was sort of the vocal guy on our defense, but it's not like that did us any good.

It would be nice if we had one guy on D and one guy on O that would get in other player's faces if they screwed around. I'm not sure if we have that...

Rushing: 48 Carries,152 Yards, 1 TD
    Receiving: 9 Catch, 73 Yards, 0 TD
    Fumbles: 2....

2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

vCash
    Having that go to guy that can keep you accountable on the field is important, on both offense & defense.

lets look at the last 5 Super Bowl winners and with who may have been considered the vocal guy on offense & defense:

seahawks: wilson, sherman
    ravens: flacco, lewis
    giants: eli?, strahan
    packers: rogers, woodson or matthews?
    saints: breese, sharper, vilma?

yes, I think its important to have "that guy" that sets the example, the guy that everyone looks to.

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 27 tackles / sacks /1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    it should be Suh and Stafford but...
    #66 LaAdrian Waddle

vCash
    it should be Suh and Stafford but...
    I want to agree, Suh NEEDS to be the guy.... on Offense it should be staff but again unsure if he's "that kind of guy"... maybe tate? or bush?

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 27 tackles / sacks /1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    I think it started from the coach. Shartz wasn't ready to be the leader of a football team. Caldwell is. The guy has the respect of many including Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy. Any player who has a brain should realize if these 2 hall of famers respect the coach maybe I should at least listen if not respect as well.

They also say success helps determine respect, well caldwell has a ring some no long time lion has even sniffed. Lombardi has one, Teryl austin has one etc. These coaches will force the lions to understand their roles and follow through with it because they know what real success is, this crappy franchise does not. If the lions players want to reach that success you learn, study, and execute what your "elders" teach you.

Here's hoping at least.

Sent from beyond the grave

Catches: 6 Yards: 72 TDs: 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I think it started from the coach. Shartz wasn't ready to be the leader of a football team. Caldwell is. The guy has the respect of many including Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy. Any player who has a brain should realize if these 2 hall of famers respect the coach maybe I should at least listen if not respect as well.

They also say success helps determine respect, well caldwell has a ring some no long time lion has even sniffed. Lombardi has one, Teryl austin has one etc. These coaches will force the lions to understand their roles and follow through with it because they know what real success is, this crappy franchise does not. If the lions players want to reach that success you learn, study, and execute what your "elders" teach you.

Here's hoping at least.

Sent from beyond the grave

Sent from Alcatraz using Pimpatalk
    #66 LaAdrian Waddle

vCash
    Speaking of leadership Tom Lewand can you call Jim Irsay

vCash
    I feel like Tate will be a leader this year.

vCash
    Good to turn over the staff and players in an effort to get rid of the bad apples, I just don't know if we got rid of them all yet. I hope Stafford isn't part of the problem. One of the people I talk Lions with says Stafford has a weak psyche and that his lack of mental fortitude will be his downfall. As each year passes I understand this idea more.

I also think we have discarded some good influences. Shawn Jefferson (WR coach) was a BIG mistake to let go. He stayed on Calvin and kept him working. Calvin looked lazy last year...sorry. I mean I know he was in shape but the guy olé-ed passes and dropped some easy ones. I think Jefferson was always in his ear making him better and we don't have that anymore.

The team definitely lacks leadership. Hopefully getting rid of Shartz and Delmas will help. Shartz was way too emotional for a head coach and I think that was a bad influence. I also think that anyone that listened to a word that the mental midget Delmas said was dumber for it.
    Seriously? Calvin looked lazy? Are you freaking kidding me?

The injuries he's been through the last few years plus the fact that the lions run him to death, we're lucky the guy can still ****ing stand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast