Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Gold Glove jokes

Here, I'll start: Rafael Palmeiro won the 1999 AL Gold Glove at first base, despite playing just 28 games there, and being pulled early in three of those.

vCash
    first one in so i'll go with the most obvious ,jeter...take your pick of which year

vCash

Gold Glove jokes:

Adam Dunn

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Why is it a gold glove? Sounds like it would be hard to catch a ball with a glove made of solid gold.

vCash

Gold Glove jokes:

Why call it the Gold Gloves?,they should be called the Glold gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vCash
    It's an imperfect award. A lot of people argue and say someone with better range should have won (see every award Jeter ever won) If you take it literally though, saying you are speaking of how good the "glove" is, range would not matter. Maybe when the award first came into existence, people did not look at range the way we do today. Just a thought.

vCash
    I saw the headline and was going to type two things

Palmerio and Jeter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    It's an imperfect award. A lot of people argue and say someone with better range should have won (see every award Jeter ever won) If you take it literally though, saying you are speaking of how good the "glove" is, range would not matter. Maybe when the award first came into existence, people did not look at range the way we do today. Just a thought.
    Nice attempt at justifying Jeter's awards closet but no dice. I'm pretty sure the old guard was well aware that you don't want a statue at SS or else they would have just said **** it and put the Babe there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    I don't understand this. How do you determine how good a glove is? By fielding percentage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I don't understand this. How do you determine how good a glove is? By fielding percentage?
    No...THAT'd never work.
    You'd have to subtract out the errors made on throws.

But...that wouldn't work either, because if a runner beats a throw then the fielder isn't credited with the play made with the glove.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    No...THAT'd never work.

But...that wouldn't work either, because if a runner beats a throw then the fielder isn't credited with the play made with the glove.
    Yup, but fielding errors are tracked over at Fangraphs for those that don't know.

You can find out how many errors of a player are based on fielding, and how many are via throws.

Ryan Zimmerman for example (I am saying him because I used the information to debunk someone who said his glove is perfect, it's just bad throws that give him errors)

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=3B#fielding
    11 - F - 4, T - 8
    12 - F - 7, T - 12
    13 - F - 6, T - 15

Sure, he gets twice as many errors via throws than from fielding, but he does make fielding errors.

But you can see which are which

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    No...THAT'd never work.

I'm not sure if you were but I was being somewhat facetious. I don't really know how a glove can be measured without factoring in range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I'm not sure if you were but I was being somewhat facetious. I don't really know how a glove can be measured without factoring in range.
    http://pad1.whstatic.com/images/thum...ize-Step-3.jpg

I was
    Being facetious.

vCash
    Fangraphs does have great information for those curious about advanced fielding statistics. Such as plays out of zone etc.

I'm sure we can get an idea of what a players glove could look like compared to anothers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    Adam Dunn
    does not have a gold glove...........
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast