Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why Do People Use College Stats to Project NBA Careers When the G.O.A.T...

Why do people use college stats to project NBA careers when the greatest player ever didn't have impressive stats? Michael Jordan as a college Freshman only averaged 13.5 pts and 4.4 rbs in 32 min/gm by today's standards people would be comparing him to some NBA scrub and saying he sucks. IMO He is the perfect example of why you draft someone for what they could be and not what they're currently.

http://www.michaeljordansworld.com/college_stats.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoHuskies View Post
    Why do people use college stats to project NBA careers when the greatest player ever didn't have impressive stats? Michael Jordan as a college Freshman only averaged 13.5 pts and 4.4 rbs in 32 min/gm by today's standards people would be comparing him to some NBA scrub and saying he sucks. IMO He is the perfect example of why you draft someone for what they could be and not what they're currently.

A - he stayed 2 more years so who cares
    B - he played for a top notch program where learning was prioritized over putting up top notch numbers. ie that was a quality 13.5 and 4.4.
    C - nobody who projects would use per game numbers over ones that better describe the quality of the performance and
    D - People rarely use college numbers to project so I dont know what you're talking about.
    E - see A.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 03-16-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    yah there is a reason why Doug McDermott isn't going as high as Noah Vonleh. you are arguing a moot point because potential already is what everyone drafts for. 13.5 and 4.4 as a freshman are solid numbers anyway, especially in a team system, no one would call a 13.5 ppg freshman a scrub.

vCash
    Because that is the only real stats they have to base it on.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    In college there are all kinds of guy who posted great averages.

What they look for is who is getting minutes on GOOD teams and helping those teams win. Who is playing well against good teams.

Teams draft for potential all the time Christian Laettner had some of the best college numbers and Shaq and Mourning were taken a head of him.

So teams do draft based on potential a lot of the time.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash

people dont ,though many players that are seen to have good next level tools also have good stats in college....i have no idea where you got the idea that people do
    Last edited by abe_froman; 03-16-2014 at 08:40 PM.

vCash
    A strange thing I keep hearing is they look at steals more and more when looking at big men going from college to the pros. Raw stats in college are seemingly more ignored, as has been mentioned. That's my Marvin Williams was drafted right before CP3 and DWill and why Embiid might be the number one pick. Upside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamShaker View Post
    A strange thing I keep hearing is they look at steals more and more when looking at big men going from college to the pros. Raw stats in college are seemingly more ignored, as has been mentioned. That's my Marvin Williams was drafted right before CP3 and DWill and why Embiid might be the number one pick. Upside.
    Why do people act like Wiggins isn't going to be great just because he averages 17pts or whatever..statistically the guy is better freshman than Jordan, why aren't people looking at that? Or how about Vince Carter who went to school for 3 years and still couldn't reach the numbers Wiggins has as a freshman? The NCAA is an awful league for NBA prospects and is the main reason there have been so many busts or poor draft choices over the years. NCAA game simply doesn't translate well to the NBA game.
    Last edited by TorontoHuskies; 03-16-2014 at 11:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    A - he stayed 2 more years so who cares
    B - he played for a top notch program where learning was prioritized over putting up top notch numbers. ie that was a quality 13.5 and 4.4.
    C - nobody who projects would use per game numbers over ones that better describe the quality of the performance and
    D - People rarely use college numbers to project so I dont know what you're talking about.
    E - see A.
    /thread

vCash
    Why do people act like Wiggins isn't going to be great just because he averages 17pts or whatever..statistically the guy is better freshman than Jordan, why aren't people looking at that? Or how about Vince Carter who went to school for 3 years and still couldn't reach the numbers Wiggins has as a freshman? The NCAA is an awful league for NBA prospects and is the main reason there have been so many busts or poor draft choices over the years. NCAA game simply doesn't translate well to the NBA game.
    So you start a thread claiming that NCAA stats mean nothing, and then it leads to your actual point, which is that Wiggins will be great because he has better freshman stats than MJ or VC?

besides, when you're a freshman for a university like North Carolina in the 80s, you better pass the ball. there were no one-and-dones. you didn't show up at UNC unless you were gonna play team basketball.
    I guess you didn't know he also had Sam Perkins and James Worthy on the team? who were older and got more touches. and James Worthy only had 15 ppg and he was the #1 pick that year, so 13.5 ppg on 53.4% for a freshman in the 80s is pretty good... also, his freshman year was the year he hit the game-winner to beat Georgetown in the finals... so yeah.... i don't think anyone would be comparing him to 'some scrub saying he sucks'

vCash
    hahaah come no man i wasnt even gonna call u out knowing this is about Wiggins til you posted this. Give it a rest who cares if Wiggins doesnt go #1? no one thinks he is a bum everyone knows hes going top 3 and will be an all star at the least.

RETURN OF THE MAC

vCash

because you go off game/ eye test, and that's why JORDAN is that mediahyped GOAT, you just said it because IVERSON avg 20ppg as freshman at G'TOWN and he was as good as a individual guard to ever step foot on the hardwood, JORDAN isn't the 'best' but like you said he sure is the 'greatest'

JORDAN avg 13.5ppg as freshman because im sure he was playing with probably 2 other nba caliber players on his team and he played for the ultimate team coach who knew how to collect cream of the crop prospects

Those are impressive freshman stats when you consider he had other nba players on his college team

this post you made is a perfect example of you are who you are as a player, JORDAN was a scorer/playmaker then as he was the 'come fly with me version' in the nba

you just don't know how to rank a player before watching 15yrs of nba ball to decide that, its easy to see what a player will be in nba after watching him in ncaa, no stats/WS/PER needed, ever

its just harder to gauge now because the era is so weak watered down with players, not talent, players

you do good for 1 month and you are a mediahyped superstar, LOWRY avg 18ppg and he is going to sign for 60mill offseason, IVERSON avg 18ppg for DET and had 4th seed at one point and he just fell off the face of the nba landscape for avg such low ppg on 14 shots per game

this era of bball is piss poor of sure pure franchise players to where M GASOL gets 60 million, equal to how KONCAK and DUDLEY back in the day got overpaid so its really nothing new under the sun its just weaker talent today in my book so I guess its overlooked since no DREAM/DROB/SHAQ/EWING roam the paints any longer
    Last edited by 3RDASYSTEM; 03-17-2014 at 10:36 AM.

vCash
    will WIGGINS drop 28ppg rookie yr? CARTER was freak of nature who had a jumper, showed it more in nba than ncaa

nobody said WIGGINS isn't good(quite using the word great, its stupid), but he isn't on TMAC level or of that level, but he is a good athlete and can play and has the wingspan and body to make it on next level, I don't really know his skill set but I know he is a athlete that can jump a little bit

vCash
    wasn't MJ the first guy to average 20 a night for Dean Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Great question . These guys ain't ish until they get to the big leagues

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast