Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Raiders thus far?

What are everyone's thoughts on the Raiders move thus far this offseason? It was evident that they had a **** ton of cap space going in.

Here's what they've done with it thus far:

Sign:

OT - Austin Howard
    DE - Justin Tuck
    LB - Lamarr Woodley
    CB - Tarell Brown
    DL - Antonio Smith

Re-Sign:

RB - Darren McFadden
    S - Usama Young

Do you like it? Hate it? They're obviously in a tough division with Denver, KC and the Chargers.. how much more do they have to do to snag a WC spot?

vCash
    The draft will be crucial for them but I like their moves so far. They have a chance to be competitive this upcoming year. However, don't think they'll be ready for the playoffs this year though. Next year fasho.

vCash
    The Raiders don't have much of a young core, which doesn't make them too attractive of a destination. They had cap space, but that doesn't mean they should be stupid with it. They picked up some veterans to mentor the young guys they do have, probably will have another <7 win season, and get ready to build through the draft (the right way). They should go OL or DL with their pick this year and try to grab their QB next year when the QB class is stronger
    Last edited by moshy2; 03-15-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    2014 PSD Mock NFL Draft Baltimore Ravens
    Round 1: S HaHa Clinton-Dix
    Round 2: WR Allen Robinson
    Round 3: OT Jack Mewhort
    Round 3: RB Bishop Sankey
    Round 4: CB Victor Hampton
    Round 4: ILB Preston Brown
    Round 5: ILB Avery Williamson
    Round 6: WR Ryan Grant

vCash
    Re-signing McFadden is dumb, get a RB that sees the field.

"Special" Teams

vCash
    Letting go of Veldheer was a big mistake. Looks like they just got a bunch of aging players but you have to start somewhere

vCash
    bleh
    Studs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    He is only guaranteed $100,000 how can you complain about that?

Low risk gamble IMO, Could you imagine the coverage if the packers or patriots signed him for that?

I do not like all the 30+ players when they could go over pay for someone like melton or DRC right now. Yes they will have to over pay but that's fine if you front load the contract.

Lastly if you look at the players they signed (Woodley, tuck, brown) for the same amount it would of cost to sign houston they have a better D than last year at this point.

The problem is look at all those players and it's only cost them 20 million so they are still 40 mil under the cap. How the hell are they going to hit 90%?
    Last edited by raiderfaninTX; 03-15-2014 at 09:06 PM.

vCash
    Raiders remain the dumbest team in the NFL. They had the most cap space in the NFL and they let their 2 best players, Lamarr Houston and Jared Veldheer walk.

Oakland Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie continues to throw funny money at his tattered offensive line.

The Raiders have agreed to terms with former New York Jets right tackle Austin Howard on a five-year, $30 million contract, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday, adding that the Jets decided not to match the offer.

After shelling out $42.5 million for injury-prone left tackle Rodger Saffold, McKenzie is overpaying for the No. 81 player on Around The League's free-agent tracker.

The Raiders will fork over $7 million more in guarantees for those two linemen than the Rams' Jake Long, the Bengals' Andre Smith and Patriots' Sebastian Vollmen combined to collect last March.

A liability early in his Jets career, Howard worked hard to develop into a quality pass protector in 2013. He and Saffold will provide league-average security on the bookends of the offensive line at a high price.

Faced with the NFL's most salary cap space and a mandate to start winning and stop making excuses, McKenzie is blowing through his cash allotment while failing to add impact players.

McKenzie has shown that he can get rid of Al Davis' draft picks and tear down a poorly constructed roster. He's yet to inspire confidence that he can build it back up again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-fiveyear-deal
    And now they are apparently looking at Lamarr Woodley and Justin Tuck and will most likely overpay and waste their cap space on them.

How can a team be so incompetent? They are apparently once again the laughing stock of sports.

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
    I've given you the Raider news. Now, my opinion: Reggie is flailing. It's mornhinwegesque. Petrinoesque. Bad plan, laughable execution.
    That's my opinion--and that of many high-ranking officials from other teams. And from some people in Raiders' organization. This is bad.
    Everyone in league is laughing at the Raiders now. Really. And somehow it's MY fault? Didn't franchise Veldheer, signed saffold. Now this?
    Text from one NFC team's front office source: 'is that the most oakland thing you’ve ever seen?'
    https://twitter.com/MikeSilver

vCash
    I don't think the Raiders will do anything this year..

love for them to prove me wrong tho
    2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument

2014 AAL Kyle Van Noy

0 tackles 0 sacks 0 interceptions

vCash
    Raiders are in a weird situation. They need to rebuilt while spending a lot of their cap money. Ideally, they should play their young guys to see if they are pieces for the future, but you don't sign quality free agents to be backups. I'm not sure what I would have done either, but I probably would have rather tried to overpay for the top OL (preferably LT), CB, LB, DL or some other free agent holes to at least fill a spot for the near future instead of paying for mediocre free agents that don't have a future with the team.

THE BEST DH IN SF GIANTS HISTORY!

2010 and 2012 World Series Champs !

vCash
    i hated signing mcfadden but surprisingly he took a terrible deal to "make things right." its only guaranteed for 100k and we can get rid of him with no cost if he gets hurt in training camp. The D-line improved. our pass rush significantly improved.

There is still a second wave that we have the most ammunition to go after as well such as DRC, chris clemons (the safety), thurmond, james jones, and donald penn who has an offer on the table.

In all reality it comes down to the draft. we need to get 3 starters in the draft so we must hit big.

I dont hate this offseason, but i don't love it either, I am waiting until the draft. Best thing that can happen to us is have bridgwater there at 5. Raiders will be dumb to take any other qb. If bridgewater is gone we will take mack. If mack is gone, we should trade down.

Dumb move not to tag veldheer. Houston on the other hand wouldn't take the good deal the bears got out of him. We would have had to pay him around 10 million a year and good for reggie for not giving him that. The saffold debacle was stupid, but that wasn't the make or break piece anyway. As for anyone quoting Mike Silver just know he has no life lol. The guys twitter feed for the past 3 days has been full of raider bashing like he has nothing else to talk about. He hates the raiders because they fired his close friend Hue Jackson. The media's just having a fun time bashing the raiders right now. However, if Reggie came out giving mega deals to free agents, they'll be doing the same thing.

We've brought in 2 veteran leaders right now in Antonio Smith and Justin Tuck(championship experience). Those 2 will help the young players play with a high motor and effort. If anyone watched the raiders a lot last year the defense in a lot of games (other than the couple of embarrassing showings) will play with a lot of effort and keep things close in the first half. Then they will come out flat in the second half and get their ***** handed to them. That was with a really poor pass rush and a no name defense. These two guys have been brought in because they can bring a pass rush and they would make sure the team keeps that light on for the entire game.

Woodley also has a chance to redeem himself because he's going to be playing a lot of Leo(something houston played a lot last year, which is completely not meant for him) and do what he does best which is rush the passer.

We will be a better team than last year. This is me speaking before the draft. I may be even more optimistic after the draft. I know we're high on bridgewater and mack, if we get one of them(or a trade down and get donald) I will be really optimistic.

Yall let me slip?!?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    I couldn't have said it any better

Oakland Raiders / Jason Kidd-Mavericks Fan Till Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    Raiders remain the dumbest team in the NFL. They had the most cap space in the NFL and they let their 2 best players, Lamarr Houston and Jared Veldheer walk.

And now they are apparently looking at Lamarr Woodley and Justin Tuck and will most likely overpay and waste their cap space on them.

How can a team be so incompetent? They are apparently once again the laughing stock of sports.

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver
    You'd have to understand what happened behind the scenes before you call this dumb. Was Veldheer and Houston worth more than 10-11 million? Think strongly about that before you jump to conclusion. If we franchise tagged anyone of them, they would have been GROSSLY overpaid. Jared Veldheer is good at one level when healthy. When he blocks and gets to the second level, he gets lost. Watch the film.Also, Lamarr Houston doesn't even fit the scheme and he was an out of place DE. He's not even a true pass rusher yet we should pay him 11 million because he's our best player on a LOWLY TALENTED ROSTER? Come on man.
    Last edited by Nets/Raiders!; 03-16-2014 at 01:28 PM.

vCash
    Personally, I'll give our offseason a C+ considering the lack of quality players that we have had on this team in recent years. There are no big splashes here. Just quality ones that will make us competitive. We may not win 8 or 9 games but we won't go down without a fight either unlike the past decade(aside from last year). I think we will surprise a lot of people but I highly doubt we will playoff contenders this season. It's not even because of the lack of premium free agent signings because they don't always pan out(See Finnegan and the likes of him). It's more so because since we build through the draft, it will take time for these young players to develop, including the ones we will draft this year. Raiders have a lot of no name players that will be good if they aren't already. Give us a few years, this year won't be anything special for us barring we have an amazing Seahawks 2010 kind of draft. My expectations are low, per usual.

vCash
    ^ but do you think Saffold was a smart acquisition?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast