Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

If I were in Jim Buss's shoes...I would....

For every pro sports franchise, including those in the NBA, success starts at the top. Winning a championship takes much more than good, sound ownership, but without that all-important foundation, everything else crumbles.

To that end, Kobe Bryant didn't overstep his bounds entirely when, during a press conference to announce that he'd be shut down for the rest of the 2013-14 season, he implored the "Big Kahunas" of the Buss family to clear the air.

"You've got to start with Jim," Bryant said. "You've got to start with Jim and Jeanie (Buss), and how that relationship plays out. It starts there, and having clear direction and clear authority."

The Mamba's right: the team can't move forward unless/until its owners are on the same page.

Whether they'll ever get there depends on who you ask. To some, including B/R's Kevin Ding, the conflict between the most powerful of Dr. Buss' kin is nigh on intractable.

Make no mistake, they have regular meetings gathering all six Buss children for the family trust in charge of the Lakers, but Jeanie and Jim aren't much closer than when they weren't speaking before their father's death. Even though they're trying to work through it, the end game remains more likely to be one in and one out.

To others, including ESPNLosAngeles.com's Arash Markazi, neither is at all likely to vacate his/her position within the organization.

Truth be told, this isn't really about Jim Buss. It's about Dr. Buss giving Jim personnel power. Jim is doing what his dad wanted him to do. Jim Buss isn't going to give up control of the team a year after his dad died and trusted him to make personnel decisions moving forward. Dr. Buss groomed Jim to run personnel for 15 years & groomed Jeanie to run business longer than that. That was always his plan for the team.

If that is, indeed, the case, it'll be incumbent upon Jim to make nice with Jeanie, especially in light of his past conflicts with her fiancee (Phil Jackson), so that he can go about his business on the basketball side of the operation without concern that L.A.'s house of cards might come tumbling down from on high.
    Last edited by Rocco007; 03-15-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    ...A Dynasty A Cometh... 1225

vCash
    This is a tough position to be in...Dad wanted his son to do the job before he died...

vCash

If I were in Jim Buss's shoes...I would....

Kill myself.
    llullz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by still1ballin View Post
    Kill myself.
    Jesus Christ lol
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    Kill myself.
    Loool

vCash
    Andrew Bynum considered playing for both the Heat and the Lakers before signing with the Pacers, tweets Tom Moore of Calkins Media.
    I would bring back Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum on 1 year contracts to secure the 5 position for next year...or 2 years with a team option on the 2nd still giving the team flexibility for 2015...

vCash
    This is a simple case of spoiled children. These kids grew up with fame and money and power, don't really know how it's like running a team like their dad did. Now that their dad is gone, they are left in a position of "okay what do we do now?" Personally I think the D'Antoni signing was a Jerry Buss move. I think Jim will be fine, he just needs to continue the legacy of the Lakers organization as being a destination for any big name player wanting to play for. If you look at it this way, it's basically a change in ownership so yes it will take time, but once the Lakers become elite again, then everyone will be happy.

LAKERS
    PACKERS
    DODGERS
    FC BARCELONA
    USC TROJANS

vCash
    We're not gonna win another title until 2022.

We had a 12 yr gap between the 88 and 00 titles. We're going thru that same period guys.

And honestly, Kobe should have retired last season after the Achilles injury. It's just gonna be 2 last empty yrs of Kobe as he tries to climb the scoring list.

vCash
    Kill myself.
    Quote worthy

GO LAKERS

vCash
    why is there no source for the original post...

PSD... where plagiarism happens

vCash
    Suck on my pancake nipples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Jemima View Post
    Suck on my pancake nipples.
    only if you put syrup on em

vCash
    Jim Buss is a ****ing idiot.

vCash
    Well if we are going to have a prayer of competing in the next couple years, we will need to be very aggressive this offseason and the following offseason as well. I don't know. I have faith that we will put out a decent product next season with the draft and free agency. Plus we can get rid of Pringles. In hindsight his hiring and the failed cp3 trade was our downfall. I will never forgive stern for that....ever.

vCash
    Let my sister who is banged by Phil take on my role, and let she beg Phil to return, which is unlikely cause he is now a New Yorker.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast