Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kanter Thread

vCash

Kanter Thread

Many people in this forum like to debate Kanter, so I figured I'd just start a thread about him so we can discuss his fit, future, potential, etc.

In the last ten games, here are his stats:
    25.9mpg .471fg% 7.6rpg 1apg 12.3ppg

For the season, here are his stats:
    25.6mpg .505fg% .732ft% 6.5rpg 0.9apg 0.6bpg 2.9fpg 12.2ppg

Considering he's just this year getting consistent minutes, I've been really impressed with his production. If you were to compare his numbers to Favors, I think you'd be shocked how close their numbers are even though Favors has played so much more at this point in their careers.

Before I get into my ideas, thoughts, etc., I'll turn it over to you guys to give yours. Go Jazz

vCash
    I saw an infographic during one of the last Jazz games saying that Kanter has one of the highest FG% in the league during a certain stretch, or maybe it was this season. Not sure.
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    per 36 to make it fair

Favors 15.3 10.4 on .514% 11.7 fg Attempts ts%.553
    Kanter 17.2 9.2 on .505% 14.6 fg Attempts ts% .536

I think the key is though

Kanter FTA 4.8
    Favors FTA 3.5

so do you value a little more production or a little better efficiency. Kanter had a great January and February after a miserable november and december. However his march hasn't been that great

vCash
    the way i look at it is this: not only is he crazy young, but he's very, very inexperienced. most players his age came up through high school and college and played and practiced a lot... kanter, however, didn't even play in college and only practiced with the team. by all rights, he should be playing like a rookie this year. i think he's surpassed (not blown away, but surpassed) the brass's expectations so far. he has things to work on, i am by no means calling him a finished product, but given his history with basketball, i'm surprised and very pleased with his progression.

favors seems to be taking it easy, imo. his per 36 isn't that much higher than it was last year or even the year before. he's worth his contract just because of his defense, but i still have hope he can be an all-around dominant big for us. i bring this up because i'd love for them to develop into a great tandem on the court at the same time. with kanter's shooting, hopefully some interior space opens up for both of them.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    I see Kanter with a long career, improving each and every year. Maybe being an Allstar when he's in his early 30's. Which doesn't seem quite that bold of a prediction in my book.
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    the way i look at it is this: not only is he crazy young, but he's very, very inexperienced. most players his age came up through high school and college and played and practiced a lot... kanter, however, didn't even play in college and only practiced with the team. by all rights, he should be playing like a rookie this year. i think he's surpassed (not blown away, but surpassed) the brass's expectations so far. he has things to work on, i am by no means calling him a finished product, but given his history with basketball, i'm surprised and very pleased with his progression.

favors seems to be taking it easy, imo. his per 36 isn't that much higher than it was last year or even the year before. he's worth his contract just because of his defense, but i still have hope he can be an all-around dominant big for us. i bring this up because i'd love for them to develop into a great tandem on the court at the same time. with kanter's shooting, hopefully some interior space opens up for both of them.
    I dont think Favors is going to develop much more than he has already, that being said he is worth the money as a defender but he is not going to develop into Antonio Mcdyess he is what he is ...very good defender/rebounder and a average offensive player
    Hi There

JAZZ / UTES / LIONS / REDWINGS / TIGERS / ALL-BLACKS

vCash
    Kanter on the other hand has shown a soft touch on his jumper this year and I just think he has more improvment that is possible...its up to him and his work ethic

what i wish we could do is create a Frankenstien hybrid of Kanter and Favors...Denis Fanter!!
    Hi There

JAZZ / UTES / LIONS / REDWINGS / TIGERS / ALL-BLACKS

vCash
    In terms of offensive skill, last year I thought Kanter developed quicker than Favors, but this year Favors appears to have blossomed somewhat. I view Enes as a bit of a throwback, a less imposing Ilgauskis. He simply doesn't have the athleticism to be the defensive anchor that his size should impose. But with added development he could become an effective pick-and-pop type player and board monger.

If we didn't have Favors I would think it a no brainer to continue to develop Enes; he will be a solid second tier center for a long time. I just don't see how you find a fit for both of these big guys in the same system, and benching one doesn't seem smart.

He is never going to be an elite center in my opinion. I can't see Enes attending multiple All-Star games.

This is funny too, because last year I was saying Enes was showing more than Favors. I still don't see an elite superstar on the jazz roster.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    Anyone who doesn't think favors can be a 20 point night guy for the jazz go watch the abuse he gave to Timmy. He has it in him and he is just scratching the surface. You've got to figure favors is still 3-4 year away from his prime. Few more summers working with Karl few more summers of refining his skills and getting a down pack go to move and he will be averaging 20-10 and visiting the Allstar a few times.

Kanter I just don't see being an Allstar unless he extends his shot to the 3 line and learns how to play bigger. His defense makes al Jefferson look like DPOY and is frightening. Hopefully he will work on his agility quickness and jumping abilities in the offseason for the next 5 years and then maybe then he will be a decent defender. I too don't see how there is room for both on the roster. And you can only pay so many players 10 mil or more. I see more long term potential with gobert more then kanter and he will give the jazz more bang for their buck. I think kanter could be used as a piece to trade up in this upcoming draft. If we are one spot away from a game changer I can see the jazz going hard for that player which might have to include a youngster , kanter would be my pick in that group. I think Burke burks and favors all are elite in different areas where's kanter is so inexperienced that he is more above to below average to me across the board rather then elite. I guess I would say he has elite footwork and offensive rebounding. But we had a guy like that and let him walk while he was still in his prime.

vCash
    I think Kanter will be a quality player where 15ppg/10rpg is not very far away. 12.1/6.8 on the season and 13.7/8.6 post All-Star is pretty good. In the right system I think him and Favors can be a pretty good front court. Once Kanter's mid range shot starts to fall with consistency, him and Favors will cause big matchup problems. We just need a coach who will run an offense from the inside out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdood View Post
    I think Kanter will be a quality player where 15ppg/10rpg is not very far away. 12.1/6.8 on the season and 13.7/8.6 post All-Star is pretty good. In the right system I think him and Favors can be a pretty good front court. Once Kanter's mid range shot starts to fall with consistency, him and Favors will cause big matchup problems. We just need a coach who will run an offense from the inside out.
    That last comment cracks me up. Last year people here were ripping Corbin for running the offense inside out too much with Big Al.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
    That last comment cracks me up. Last year people here were ripping Corbin for running the offense inside out too much with Big Al.
    I wasn't one of those "people". Jefferson was our best option so I had no problem with the offense running through him. Since its obvious Hayward is struggling to score as our perimeter game has as a whole, why not try and make some changes to the offense as far as how it's ran? We are riding a 6 game losing streak 22-47 record. If you got better ideas as far as how the offense should be ran, I'd like to hear it

vCash
    Memphis runs their offense inside out, but every play doesn't go right to marc gasol on a back down before the rest of the play starts after 7 to 9 seconds have been burned off on a back down. Theres a difference.
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    i'm just glad the front office isn't in the business of trying to appease pajama-wearing sofa coaches. the winds of fan preference blow every which way, and rarely would they have our ship facing the right direction. the fo and coaching staff are doing the right thing as far as i'm concerned.

as far as corbin goes, i guarantee that corbin can coach circles around the most basketball savvy in this forum. is he the best for the job? of course not, but sloan wasn't the best coach either.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post

as far as corbin goes, i guarantee that corbin can coach circles around the most basketball savvy in this forum. is he the best for the job? of course not, but sloan wasn't the best coach either.
    1. But is he better than the majority of those in his profession? The answer is no.

2. Sloan was an outstanding coach with a system, ability to make adjustments and knowledge of the game. Ty wasn't a better player, coach or likely floor waxer than Jerry - comparing the two is laughable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast