Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Vikings sign CB Derek Cox

Derek Cox - DB - Vikings

Vikings signed CB Derek Cox, formerly of the Chargers, to a one-year contract.
    Cox was one of the top free-agent corners last March and signed a four-year, $20 million deal with the Chargers. He was flat-out awful and got his walking papers earlier this month. With the Jaguars from 2009-2012, Cox flashed No. 1 abilities. If he's to resurrect his career, going to Minnesota and playing for Mike Zimmer is the spot. Cox could start opposite Xavier Rhodes, with Captain Munnerlyn in the slot. Cox is still only 27 years old.
    rotoworld

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Vikings add cornerback Derek Cox

A year ago today, cornerback Derek Cox signed a contract with the Chargers, which supposedly paid him $10.25 million guaranteed. Cut while still $4.25 million short of that amount, Cox celebrated the anniversary by signing with a new team.

Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego reports that Cox has signed a contract with the Vikings. Its a one-year deal.

The move comes on the same day the Vikings signed cornerback Captain Munnerlyn. The Vikings under new coach Mike Zimmer also have re-signed defensive tackle Fred Evans and defensive end Everson Griffen.

The Vikings also reportedly visited with defensive tackle Henry Melton, and they possibly will re-sign defensive tackle Pat Williams.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ack-derek-cox/

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845:28146260
    null
    PAT williams? Lol think they meant Kevin

I meese you Seor Rodriguez

vCash
    Typical Rick Spielman move. Low risk/high reward signing with likely minimal money put forward. If Cox can prove last season was a fluke then this could end up being a really nice signing. Our CBs are looking A LOT better than last season. Cox will be 28 in September and stands at 6'1 195.

On a side note (this is my favorite part of signing free agent CBs), Derek Cox has 13 career interceptions across his 5 year career. AKA 13 more ints than Chris Cook has had his entire career.

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    PAT williams? Lol think they meant Kevin
    I took it as sarcasm but maybe he did mean Kevin lol

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Cox was injured during 2011 and only played in 6 games but from 2009-2010 and 2012 he had 12 ints, picking off 4 passes each season. Zimmer is known for getting the most out his players, especially DBs, so I really like this signing. I want to see the money but I doubt it's much, given the fact it's only a 1 year deal.

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    I have hopes for this signing. If Zimmer can get Pacmans head on straight and turn him into a player he can do it with anyone!

vCash
    According to Pro Football Focus, prior to signing with the Chargers last season, Cox only gave up 1 TD pass in his last 21 games.

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ville-jaguars/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ith-san-diego/

^^ These articles are to long to post in here but if you have time I really suggest reading them. Lots of reasons to feel excited about this Cox signing.

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Vikings sign cornerback Derek Cox
    By Ben Goessling

MINNEAPOLIS -- Shortly after they finished a deal with former Carolina Panthers cornerback Captain Munnerlyn, the Minnesota Vikings were preparing to add another cornerback to their roster. According to a league source, the Vikings were finalizing a deal on Thursday night with former San Diego Chargers cornerback Derek Cox, who could add some depth to their group of defensive backs next season.

The 6-foot-1 Cox began last season as a starter for the Chargers, but lost his starting job for good after he was benched three times in four weeks last November. Cox gave up three catches and a touchdown on three targets last Nov. 24 against Kansas City, and didn't play a significant role after that. Still, he had been a serviceable player in 2012, and intercepted four passes that season for the Jaguars. He'd give the Vikings another big corner, and he'd represent a low-risk gamble by the Vikings on the ability of coach Mike Zimmer and defensive backs coach Jerry Gray to get something out of Cox.

He might also represent another closed door for a return by Chris Cook to the Vikings. The four-year player's future seemed uncertain after a conversation with Zimmer last week, and though Zimmer mentioned his ability to improve players who have a history of underachieving, like Cook does, the Vikings' order of business might tell the story better than anything else. They signed Munnerlyn and Cox on the same day Cook was scheduled to visit the San Francisco 49ers, and the Vikings now have eight cornerbacks signed for next season.

Of those eight -- Munnerlyn, Cox, Xavier Rhodes, Josh Robinson, Marcus Sherels, Shaun Prater, Robert Steeples and Kip Edwards -- only a handful might make the team, but the Vikings could also take another cornerback high in the draft. Those players might occupy whatever real estate and cap space was remaining for Cook to make a return to Minnesota.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vi...medium=twitter

- Mike Zimmer

vCash

Vikings sign CB Derek Cox

Hope he can contribute for us!
    A famous quote on PSD, from the one, the only;

CCRider

I hate to break it to ya like this amigo but nobody here is really too concerned with what you want like or need....ok? If a thread isn't for you do like everyone else, walk on by...ok?

vCash
    Bye Bye Cook.

vCash
    You have to like this pickup... It is a nice reclamation project. The talent is there, and with Zim's scheme (a lot of pressure on the QB), maybe Cox can turn it around.
    Suck it

vCash
    Derek Cox sees Vikings' need at CB as a 'prime' chance to start again
    by Andrew Krammer
    1500ESPN.com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Derek Cox was a starter in Week 1 of his rookie season, yet he finds himself battling for a starting role with the Minnesota Vikings - his third team in three years.

Fortunately for Cox, he landed in a secondary currently under a retooling process looking for a third cornerback to go along with Xavier Rhodes and Captain Munnerlyn.

"I view it as a prime opportunity, that's how you have to approach it every day," Cox said. "[Mike Zimmer's defense] is similar to some defenses I've played in before, which helps."

After grabbing eight interceptions in his first two seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cox was sidelined with injuries in 2011 and the team that drafted him in the third round of 2009 let him walk in 2012. The San Diego Chargers then parted ways with Cox just one season after signing him to a four-year, $20 million deal.

He started the first 11 games for the Chargers last season, but was benched for the final seven games, including two playoff matchups. He didn't appear to be a fit for the Chargers defense and Cox admitted there was a learning curve to adapt to what San Diego was asking him to do.

"Cornerbacks could travel across the ball, running with motion, and you'd be in a zone coverage," Cox said. "Turned you into a nickleback, you'd be in a base [defense] and run to other side in zone coverage, you'd turn into the nickel."

"So there was a learning curve. It was a big adjustment to make."

Cox came to Minnesota seemingly for the exact reason he left San Diego, because the Vikings provide what he's looking for in a defense's schematics. Cox said Zimmer's defensive principles are similar to what made him successful in Jacksonville.

"It's pretty much left, right - man, zone principles," Cox said. "I play a ton of press coverage."

After giving up a league-high 37 touchdown passes to opponents last season, the Vikings brought in a defensive-minded head coach, signed three free agent defensive backs in Munnerlyn, Cox and Kurt Coleman and drafted another pair of defensive backs.

While Munnerlyn figures to be the team's starting cornerback alongside Rhodes, the Vikings will need a third corner to step up in the often-used nickel formations, which calls for an extra corner to play Munnerlyn's outside spot while he slides into the middle.

As the most experienced cornerback on the roster next to Munnerlyn, Cox is a natural fit for the Vikings' need along with other candidates such as Josh Robinson, Shaun Prater and rookies Kendall James and Jabari Price.

"[Cox] is a smart guy, he's got good size," Zimmer said. "He's catching on to the defense we're trying to teach, and really, he's been getting better every single day that we've had him."

Cox grabbed one of the day's lone interceptions during Thursday's OTA when he picked off Christian Ponder in the team's 11-on-11 drills. However, there's only so much coaches can glean from defensive backs that are barred from full contact.

"Actually I think we've improved quite a bit [in the secondary]," Zimmer said. "We're doing a much better job in the coverage than early on in the first minicamp. We're understanding coverages better. We're playing a lot tighter. We've still got a ways to go and you can't play any bump and run in these OTAs, so that will be our next big emphasis in the back end when we finally get to training camp."

"Because we've got to be good at that."

At 6-foot-1-inch, Cox stands as the tallest Vikings' cornerback next to Rhodes -- and said his attributes fit the style of defense Zimmer is looking to run.

"My size, arm length, it's an advantage," Cox said. "Using my arms, plays to my skill set. That will help me when it's time to press."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/D...rt_again060514

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Derek Cox sees Vikings' need at CB as a 'prime' chance to start again
    by Andrew Krammer
    1500ESPN.com
    Good read. Hopefully getting back his strengths will allow Cox to return to his Jacksonville form and help rebuild this secondary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast