Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Does moving pitchers around from start/relief mess them up?

We seen what happen to Joba with the Yankees, Mejia while injury prone has been floated back and forth and messed him up.

Now they considering Degrom and Montero for relief. You all think this is a good idea or bad considering Montero is a starter type. I always worry when they move people back and forth

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...t-relief-looks

vCash
    David Cone.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    John Smoltz.

vCash
    Since you're new, just know that nobody ever gives direct answers here.

vCash
    Their is no proof that it does, but yo yoing a guy is not something that should be done.

No problem in starting guys in relief in the majors, many guys have done it. The Cards make a habit of it, but eventually they move the guys that should start to the rotation and keep them there.

vCash
    Any idea what happened to that airplane?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Their is no proof that it does, but yo yoing a guy is not something that should be done.

No problem in starting guys in relief in the majors, many guys have done it. The Cards make a habit of it, but eventually they move the guys that should start to the rotation and keep them there.
    Yeah the yo yo thing really can mess with a guy for sure. As for the poster who says people post all random stuff. I do not pay attention to it. Enough kids I see every day at my job no need to entertain them here. Everyone on the internet has to grow up some time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Lost.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Labruno View Post
    Yeah the yo yo thing really can mess with a guy for sure. As for the poster who says people post all random stuff. I do not pay attention to it. Enough kids I see every day at my job no need to entertain them here. Everyone on the internet has to grow up some time
    Once in a while their some actual serious discussion in here.

I just hope they don't do what they have done with Mejia.

vCash
    Galen Cisco
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Everyone thinks of the stupid Joba Rules when they see pitchers go back and forth from the pen to the rotation. There are plenty of guys who do it like the ones mentioned in this thread. The Cardinals did it with Adam Wainwright and he turned out just fine. They are also in the process of doing it with guys like Miller, Martinez, and others.

Chris Sale, Ryan Dempster, Derek Lowe, CJ Wilson, Alexi Ogando and others have done it successfully as well.

It's probably an individual case by case basis type thing but it's not like it universally fails.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-13-2014 at 10:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69:28146575
    Everyone thinks of the stupid Joba Rules when they see pitchers go back and forth from the pen to the rotation. There are plenty of guys who do it like the ones mentioned in this thread. The Cardinals did it with Adam Wainwright and he turned out just fine. They are also in the process of doing it with guys like Miller, Martinez, and others.

Chris Sale, Ryan Dempster, Derek Lowe, CJ Wilson, Alexi Ogando and others have done it successfully as well.

It's probably an individual case by case basis type thing but it's not like it universally fails.
    The thing with Joba is that he was so ridiculously dominant out of the pen that it was stupid for the Yanks to even think of him as anything but a reliever.

The adjustment is just as mental as it is physical and clearly Joba was never the same after he changed mindsets.

I dont think any of this applies to current Mets since none of them has defined himself yet. Theres nothing wrong with starting someone as a reliver before working him into the rotation. Its the back and forth that could cause problems.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Both should be fine in the pen. Especially Montero. A guy coming out of the pen throwing quality strikes is a great asset.

vCash
    The thing with Joba is that he was so ridiculously dominant out of the pen that it was stupid for the Yanks to even think of him as anything but a reliever.

The adjustment is just as mental as it is physical and clearly Joba was never the same after he changed mindsets.

I dont think any of this applies to current Mets since none of them has defined himself yet. Theres nothing wrong with starting someone as a reliver before working him into the rotation. Its the back and forth that could cause problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Both should be fine in the pen. Especially Montero. A guy coming out of the pen throwing quality strikes is a great asset.
    This is exactly why Montero would be solid there. He's got very good command, control, and can probably get a tick up in his velocity coming out of the bullpen.

vCash
    I think if you commit to someone for something it works. Like if Montero starts in the pen and then they decide to move him to rotation that is fine. But if you go back and forth with him over and over it messes with someone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast