Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    City of Brotherly Love
    Posts
    2,251
    vCash
    1500

    Next 12 games...

    Felt like it deserved it's own thread. Most of us have already mentioned it and it's been slightly discussed, but I just wanted to get some people's opinions.

    Sat, Mar 15 vs. Penguins
    Sun, Mar 16 @ Penguins
    Tue, Mar 18 vs. Blackhawks
    Thu, Mar 20 vs. Stars
    Sat, Mar 22 vs. Blues
    Mon, Mar 24 vs. Kings
    Wed, Mar 26 @ Rangers
    Fri, Mar 28 vs. Maple Leafs
    Sun, Mar 30 vs. Bruins
    Tue, Apr 1 @ Blues
    Thu, Apr 3 vs. Blue Jackets
    Sat, Apr 5 @ Bruins

    Pretty easily the toughest stretch I've seen the Flyers have in a long time. After a home and home, they play every other day throughout the final 10 games of this stretch, AND every single team they play is currently in the playoffs.

    The good: 8 of the 12 games are at home
    The bad: the Blues and Bruins pretty much don't lose at home, Stars are among the hottest teams in the NHL, we can't seem to beat the Maple Leafs

    Out of the available 24 points, I think we need to take at least 14.
    The 3 most significant games, which I think are all must wins: Rangers, Maple Leafs, Blue Jackets. I think we HAVE to take 6 points from those 3 games. I'd be just ok with 5 and I think if we have to flat out lose to any of them it's the Maple Leafs.

    What I'd like: with 5 games against the West, I'd like to at least see 5 points. I'd be ok with a 2-2-1 record against them. In the other 7 games against the East, I already said I'd like all 3 against Toronto, New York and Columbus. So to get to the 14 points I'd like, it leaves us at 1-2-1 against Boston and Pittsburgh for a total record of 6-4-2 over the stretch.

    Thoughts? Agree/Disagree?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,405
    vCash
    1500
    This stretch will show the players, the fans, the organization, and the rest of the league what this team is really made of.

    I agree with your analysis. I'd love to see 14 points. Hell, I'd love to see 24 points but let's be realistic.

    I mean you might as well finish off the schedule, because it doesn't get much easier. After that, they have the Sabres and Panthers, which are HUGE trap games, followed by the Lightning, Penguins, and Hurricanes.


    The rest of the schedule is brutal. Flat-out brutal. No other way around it; the schedule makers did the Flyers NO favors down the stretch.


    Time to put up or shut up for this team. If they want to make a run and be taken seriously, they need to prove it over the rest of the season.


    No more getting blown out. No more whole period lapses. The playoffs are in full swing right now; have been arguably since the start of January.


    The time is now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,491
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    Felt like it deserved it's own thread. Most of us have already mentioned it and it's been slightly discussed, but I just wanted to get some people's opinions.

    Sat, Mar 15 vs. Penguins
    Sun, Mar 16 @ Penguins
    Tue, Mar 18 vs. Blackhawks
    Thu, Mar 20 vs. Stars
    Sat, Mar 22 vs. Blues
    Mon, Mar 24 vs. Kings
    Wed, Mar 26 @ Rangers
    Fri, Mar 28 vs. Maple Leafs
    Sun, Mar 30 vs. Bruins
    Tue, Apr 1 @ Blues
    Thu, Apr 3 vs. Blue Jackets
    Sat, Apr 5 @ Bruins

    Pretty easily the toughest stretch I've seen the Flyers have in a long time. After a home and home, they play every other day throughout the final 10 games of this stretch, AND every single team they play is currently in the playoffs.

    The good: 8 of the 12 games are at home
    The bad: the Blues and Bruins pretty much don't lose at home, Stars are among the hottest teams in the NHL, we can't seem to beat the Maple Leafs

    Out of the available 24 points, I think we need to take at least 14.
    The 3 most significant games, which I think are all must wins: Rangers, Maple Leafs, Blue Jackets. I think we HAVE to take 6 points from those 3 games. I'd be just ok with 5 and I think if we have to flat out lose to any of them it's the Maple Leafs.

    What I'd like: with 5 games against the West, I'd like to at least see 5 points. I'd be ok with a 2-2-1 record against them. In the other 7 games against the East, I already said I'd like all 3 against Toronto, New York and Columbus. So to get to the 14 points I'd like, it leaves us at 1-2-1 against Boston and Pittsburgh for a total record of 6-4-2 over the stretch.

    Thoughts? Agree/Disagree?
    I agree with this. Realistically, we're going to need to take ~25 of the remaining 36 points on the schedule if we're hoping to make the playoffs.

    We need to beat NYR, CBJ & TOR -- no question about it.

    We also need to beat BUF, FLA & CAR (the trap games that PEM mentioned).

    That's 12 points.

    The remaining 13 needs to come from:

    PIT -- we tend to match up well against them, so hopefully we can continue to have some success there. We have 3 games against them, we need to come away with 4 points (2-1-0 or 1-0-2) at minimum. We did lose 4-1 to them during our horrible OCT, but rebounded to beat them 2-1 in the following match-up. I don't think it's impossible for us to go 3-0 against them, either. That'd be huge.

    The Blackhawks, Blues, Stars & Kings are all playing great hockey at the moment. Getting 4 points is essential. I think we can beat LAK (we did 2-0 on 2/1/14); Hopefully our guys will get fired up to avenge their humiliating loss to DAL (5-1) earlier in the season and actually show up for that. We might (depending on how we play) be able to hang with CHI (lost 7-2 earlier this season) long enough to pull a point in OT; ditto with STL.

    That leaves 2 games against BOS & 1 game with TBL. The good: I think we can play with BOS and I don't think TBL will be the same team without Marty St. Louis. Stamkos in particular will miss his ability to control the pace of play in the offensive zone and create quality scoring chances from anywhere. The bad: these two teams have combined to out-score us 16-6 in 3 games earlier this season (TBL 6-3 & 4-2; BOS 6-1) -- not exactly a ringing endorsement of our ability to play against either team. Hopefully we can pull 4 points (1-0-2 or 2-1-0).

    That gets us 24 points, which would put us at 97 for the season. That should be sufficient to get us into the dance, and from there, it's anyone's game.

    There are three keys to getting that done:

    (1) 60-minute effort from everyone - this includes getting leads, being aggressive on the forecheck, etc.
    (2) Mason needs to bring his October game -- SV% is going to need to be 92.5%+; GAA ~ 2.00.
    (3) Our go-to guys need to perform -- Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Hartnell, Simmonds, Timonen & Coburn. Time to earn your paycheck.
    Last edited by Ace23; 03-13-2014 at 04:15 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,296
    vCash
    1500
    8-3-1 is doable

    wins
    pens, pens, rangers, jackets, stars, blues, kings, leafs

    loses
    bruins, hawks, blues

    otl
    bruins

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,405
    vCash
    1500
    Well, they are off to a pretty damn good start. I'm not sure - even with the injuries to the Pens - that anyone predicted the Flyers would take both games this weekend.

    HOPEFULLY this wasn't just a case of the Flyers getting up for the Pens and they can continue to at least give a full 60 minute effort the rest of the way.

    They can't let up.

    When they play the way they played this weekend, they can beat anyone in the league. I mean anyone. They just have to keep it up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pistolvania
    Posts
    30,687
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Well, they are off to a pretty damn good start. I'm not sure - even with the injuries to the Pens - that anyone predicted the Flyers would take both games this weekend.

    HOPEFULLY this wasn't just a case of the Flyers getting up for the Pens and they can continue to at least give a full 60 minute effort the rest of the way.


    They can't let up.

    When they play the way they played this weekend, they can beat anyone in the league. I mean anyone. They just have to keep it up.
    That's why I'm a little worried. Seems like this team always plays up to the Pens. I'm hoping it's not that and it's more that this is actually a very solid team ( I know they are, but solid in the sense of being a real threat to go for the cup) that is getting a huge injection of confidence.

    For as well as they play up to the Isles and Pens, they usually have difficult times against the Rangers and Devils. Just hope they can get over the hump against teams like the Devils, Rangers, and Leafs. That'll be huge as they play those the Rangers and Leafs at the end of the month. Those are two games I'm going to find very important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    City of Brotherly Love
    Posts
    2,251
    vCash
    1500
    I feel like I was worrying for no reason with the start to these 12 games that we've had. I honestly would have been happy with 2-2 coming out of those first 4, but now I'm feeling greedy. I originally had 6-4-2 over the twelve games, but now I feel like 8-3-1 at a minimum is what we should expect. The run this team is going on since 2/1 has me feeling like the Flyers are an actual legit contender, maybe we'll need a little luck in matchups as I still "fear" Boston, but that's pretty much the only team in the NHL I'm worried about anymore. This is said before the 2 games against St. Louis, that team is nasty. Frankly I feel like the Flyers had Miller's number in Buffalo but I'm not sure that it was because of the team surrounding him, which is why I'm not really afraid of them (yet).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,405
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    I feel like I was worrying for no reason with the start to these 12 games that we've had. I honestly would have been happy with 2-2 coming out of those first 4, but now I'm feeling greedy. I originally had 6-4-2 over the twelve games, but now I feel like 8-3-1 at a minimum is what we should expect. The run this team is going on since 2/1 has me feeling like the Flyers are an actual legit contender, maybe we'll need a little luck in matchups as I still "fear" Boston, but that's pretty much the only team in the NHL I'm worried about anymore. This is said before the 2 games against St. Louis, that team is nasty. Frankly I feel like the Flyers had Miller's number in Buffalo but I'm not sure that it was because of the team surrounding him, which is why I'm not really afraid of them (yet).

    I will admit this has been a pleasant surprise for me as well. There have been a few of us - Cubs, castan, and FlyGuys who immediately come to mind - who have believed in this team. That all they needed was to add another defenseman with some puck-moving/skating ability and they could become a very dangerous team. Enter Andrew MacDonald, and I think all of us are starting to see what this team is capable of achieving. By no means are they perfect, but they are deep at forward, they are solid in net, and they are now balanced on D. It just comes down to staying focused and giving a full effort for 60 minutes.


    St. Louis will be by far the biggest test the Flyers will have faced all season. They have size, they have speed, they have great defensemen and a great defensive system, they have a franchise goalie now in Miller, and they have scoring depth.

    The Flyers are one of 2 teams in the entire league to have 7+ players with 15+ goals; the Blues are the other team.

    The scariest thing about the Blues is, although they have talent, it's not about their talent, it's about their work ethic for 60 minutes. They will grind you and grind you and grind you and grind you some more until there's nothing left of you but dust by the end of the game. They are #2 in goal differential this year at +65 (Boston is #1 at +75). The Flyers are #12 at +4, which is actually quite remarkable when you take the beginning of their season into account.


    To me, the Blues are the Bruins of the Western Conference. They won't win with a lot of flash - though they do have a few players that can - but they'll grind you down, outwork you, and frustrate you with their air-tight defense.


    The Flyers must - MUST - be on their "A" game if they want to win this game, especially given that St. Louis had an extra day off between games.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,491
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    I will admit this has been a pleasant surprise for me as well. There have been a few of us - Cubs, castan, and FlyGuys who immediately come to mind - who have believed in this team. That all they needed was to add another defenseman with some puck-moving/skating ability and they could become a very dangerous team. Enter Andrew MacDonald, and I think all of us are starting to see what this team is capable of achieving. By no means are they perfect, but they are deep at forward, they are solid in net, and they are now balanced on D. It just comes down to staying focused and giving a full effort for 60 minutes.


    St. Louis will be by far the biggest test the Flyers will have faced all season. They have size, they have speed, they have great defensemen and a great defensive system, they have a franchise goalie now in Miller, and they have scoring depth.

    The Flyers are one of 2 teams in the entire league to have 7+ players with 15+ goals; the Blues are the other team.

    The scariest thing about the Blues is, although they have talent, it's not about their talent, it's about their work ethic for 60 minutes. They will grind you and grind you and grind you and grind you some more until there's nothing left of you but dust by the end of the game. They are #2 in goal differential this year at +65 (Boston is #1 at +75). The Flyers are #12 at +4, which is actually quite remarkable when you take the beginning of their season into account.


    To me, the Blues are the Bruins of the Western Conference. They won't win with a lot of flash - though they do have a few players that can - but they'll grind you down, outwork you, and frustrate you with their air-tight defense.


    The Flyers must - MUST - be on their "A" game if they want to win this game, especially given that St. Louis had an extra day off between games.
    The Bruins have 7 guys with 15+, the Blues only have 6.

    I agree this is going to be a brutal game....they need to bring 110% effort just to match the intensity of the Blues. I'd honestly be happy if we got 1 point out of this game (not to say we can't get 2).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,405
    vCash
    1500
    See, the Blues and Bruins are so much alike I mixed them up lol.

    Good catch. My point still stands.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    39,483
    vCash
    1500
    Well we might just go ahead an win'em all

    But in all seriousness these last 5 games are what I saw in this team a while a go. They've got all the talent in the world to stick with anyone. Love it.
    #WhyNot?

    People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,405
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Well we might just go ahead an win'em all

    But in all seriousness these last 5 games are what I saw in this team a while a go. They've got all the talent in the world to stick with anyone. Love it.
    Nice to see our beliefs come to reality.


    Not sure if I mentioned this in the Roster or Game Thread or if I just talked to my dad about it lol; I wouldn't call this team legit Cup contenders, but as I've been saying for months, get this team a puck-mover of some sort, and they'll go from wildly inconsistent to pretty damn dangerous really quick.

    Enter Andrew MacDonald, and the Flyers go 6-1-1 with him in the lineup.

    Is he a #1 D man? Not by any means. He's just a solid defenseman that has the ability to skate and make a good first pass on a consistent basis. And as much as I like Gus, MacDonald brings them a bit more size and much more consistency than Gus.


    This team isn't a legit Cup contender. What they are, though, is a dangerous team that - if they play a full 60 consistently - can compete with and beat anyone in the league. They are one of the deepest teams at forward in the NHL. They have gotten solid - and over the past 2 games pretty awesome - goaltending all year. They have a great PP and PK. Their biggest weakness is the lack of a true #1 D man and an inconsistent commitment to a full five-man effort defensively. That said, with the addition of MacDonald, they now have much more balance on defense and the ability to have others eat some minutes rather than having Timonen carry the load.


    The Flyers have been finding multiple ways to win over the past 5 games. Leading all the way through, coming from behind, spectacular goaltending, solid defense late in games, big-time scoring, etc. Though they haven't possessed the puck much these past two games, they have won on the scoreboard and gotten great goaltending when it was needed, and have beaten one pretty good and one very good team in the process.


    Bottom line: this team has taken this challenge head-on and so far, have exceeded beyond expectations.

    Let's hope they can continue to play this way the rest of the way.
    Last edited by phillyeaglesman; 03-23-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •