Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Denver Broncos trying to become the 07 Patriots?

I don't know about the rest of you guys and girls but it seems like the Broncos are trying to be the 2007 Patriots? Here's why I believe they are. Back in 2006 the Patriots had a good team with a bunch of guys most probably never heard of? They go to the AFC Championship game and lose to the then Peyton Manning Colts. The next year they go bat **** crazy and sign guys like Moss, Welker, Adalius Thomas and probably some other names I'm forgetting. Anyways the 07 Patriots go on to the SB and lose to a NFC team. Now lets look at the Broncos, They sign one of the best QB's in 2012 Peyton Manning then go on to sign Wes Welker, now they've signed DeMarcus Ware,& Aqib Talib. They too had the best Team in the AFC last year like Brady, Manning sets a TD record and the both teams set a record for the most points in NFL history. Now that the Broncos lost the SB against the Seahawks they seem to be going crazy trying to sign big time names? I know I'm not the only one who sees some similarities? Call me crazy but the Broncos are trying to be the 07 Patriots.
    20+ years from now I and others will look back @WMXXX and say remember when Brock Beat The Undertaker? More people will remember his only loss more than those 21 Straight wins.

vCash
    Yes they're trying to become a really good football team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Hate to break it to you, but the Broncos are not trying to be anything other than the next SB champions. I know it's a boring way to look at it, but sometimes the boring answer is the correct answer. No need for making connections that do not exist.

vCash
    No, they're trying to stock up for one last Super Bowl for Peyton. Surrounding him with as many elite players as he can so ESPN and NFL Network, and thus general fans, can blame them when Peyton fails in the playoffs again.

vCash
    Hmm, weren't this past year the 07 Patriots? Loser of the Super Bowl?
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    I'm not saying I want it to happen. But if PM got hurt this year and didn't come back. All this would look pretty funny.

vCash
    patriots signed guys on the cheap. randy for a 4th, most thought he was a has been. Stallworth didn't make any headline..

question, when was the last time a team won the "free agency superbowl" and ended up being really good that next year?

IMO, its almost has bad has the madden curse..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Yes they're trying to become a really good football team.
    Yep.

And the comparison is off anyways.

Patriots: lack of talent that probably overachieved in 2006, stocked up for an amazing 2007.

Broncos: stocked up for an amazing 2013, stocking up more for 2014.

I don't think the Broncos are trying to do anything other than win a Super Bowl. And they've got the best team in the AFC so they need to be able to play ball against the NFC.

vCash
    The difference is probably that the Broncos are getting some pretty high profile guys, whereas the Pats weren't doing anything that seemed extraordinary at the time. Hell, I remember doing a fantasy draft that summer and getting bummed out that I didn't get Donte Stallworth (who was also signed that off-season, and I thought would be the Pats starter), and then later "settling" on Randy Moss who I figured would be a 3rd option at best. I actually drafted Benjamin Watson over Randy Moss that year. Moss seemed like his career was a wash and he'd given up, Welker wasn't well known and wasn't really that productive in MIA (680 yards and 1 TD was his best season prior to 2007).

I think the Broncos are making a strong push to fix their defense, but I can't help but assume it's going to backfire and several of these players won't pan out. I mean they're dumping some serious cash on FAs (though they're getting them at decent rates), what if Ware flops? What if Talib doesn't fully recover? I think it's a great idea what they're doing, I just never have faith in teams that splash hard in FA. It seems like it never works out.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    The only difference is that not only do they not have Bill Belichick but they have John Fox...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    The difference is probably that the Broncos are getting some pretty high profile guys, whereas the Pats weren't doing anything that seemed extraordinary at the time. Hell, I remember doing a fantasy draft that summer and getting bummed out that I didn't get Donte Stallworth (who was also signed that off-season, and I thought would be the Pats starter), and then later "settling" on Randy Moss who I figured would be a 3rd option at best. I actually drafted Benjamin Watson over Randy Moss that year. Moss seemed like his career was a wash and he'd given up, Welker wasn't well known and wasn't really that productive in MIA (680 yards and 1 TD was his best season prior to 2007).

I think the Broncos are making a strong push to fix their defense, but I can't help but assume it's going to backfire and several of these players won't pan out. I mean they're dumping some serious cash on FAs (though they're getting them at decent rates), what if Ware flops? What if Talib doesn't fully recover? I think it's a great idea what they're doing, I just never have faith in teams that splash hard in FA. It seems like it never works out.
    That is funny. I was PISSED about my draft that year. I had Brady, Moss, Plaxico and Braylon and crappy backs, and I always won with my running game.

Braylon had that career year 1300 yard 16 TD year that season. Plax had his career year 1000 yard 12 TD season, Brady and Moss set records on career years. It was just scary. I had teams destroyed that season without even counting in my backs.

vCash
    Kinda like the 98 Broncos or 94 Niners.

vCash
    pretty sure denver is trying to become superbowl champions
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I vote this thread the dumbest thread on Prosports daily. OMG this makes no darn sense

vCash
    So trying to get better players = trying to mimic the Patriots....silly me thought it was just good management
    Striving for a kinder, gentler PhillyFaninLA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast