Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Has this team really lowered our expectations this much?

I was reading through all the thread here yesterday and this is what I see.

People are becoming ok with Matt Clark at 1st base.

People are ok with Seratelli being on the roster as a SS

People are ok with Dice K as the number 5. Hell I said why not Montero and not a flinch.

Clark, Seratelli, Dice K? All guys who could just as easily be bagging groceries and nobody would care.

Has the way ownership has handled this team over the past 5 years done such a number on us as fans that we have lowered our expectations so low that we could be told Robin from the local shop rite could be playing 2nd base and we would find a way to be ok with it? WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO US?

Matt Clark is not ok as a backup to Satin at 1st base on this team or any other. Seratelli has been terrible in the spring and is the age he is without a big league job for a reason. And Dice K is well past his prime. We needed to trade for a 1st baseman we did not do so, We need to trade or sign a SS we did not do so. We have two very good young arms in Mejia and Montero who could fill the 5 hole. Mejia proved it last last season and Montero having the best spring of the people who were suppose to be competing for that job and we want Dice K?

COME ON GUYS REALLY? Quit making excuses for this team and the franchise. Say what you want about Yankee fans and believe me I hate the Yankees probably more then most. But they would never stand for this why are we? Because we have been made use to it? What has happen to us?

vCash
    Nice rant. We've been beaten into comotose submission. Battered wife syndrome. We actually believe that this year the Cowgills foisted upon us are really going to be different.

vCash
    I don't know anyone that's ok with any of this stuff but people are simply having a discussion about the options to start the season - note, those are not necessarily or even likely to be options for the roster a few weeks into the season.

Our expectations may be lower for payroll, but I think most fans are excited about the young pitching and the new OF. They think this team can be fun to watch, can win more games than Vegas thinks they will, and that's a cause for some excitement.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Labruno View Post

People are ok with Dice K as the number 5. Hell I said why not Montero and not a flinch.

Clark, Seratelli, Dice K? All guys who could just as easily be bagging groceries and nobody would care.

Say what you want about Yankee fans and believe me I hate the Yankees probably more then most. But they would never stand for this why are we?
    What would you propose? A petition? An angry post on a discussion board? Perhaps an ominous threat to Sterling Equities' office? What would Yankee fans do? Attendance at Citi Field is dropping. That's all you can do if you don't like the situation. Don't go to the games.

Fans are't "okay". They are looking at the situation realistically -- as it stands -- and not fantacizing about what will not happen this season.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    What would you propose? A petition? An angry post on a discussion board? Perhaps an ominous threat to Sterling Equities' office? What would Yankee fans do? Attendance at Citi Field is dropping. That's all you can do if you don't like the situation. Don't go to the games.

Fans are't "okay". They are looking at the situation realistically -- as it stands -- and not fantacizing about what will not happen this season.
    Obviously not going to games is all we can do. I doubt even sending the owners letters about our displeasure would matter to them. But I just never seen so many people just ok with it. This team currently as is does not win more then 78 games this year.

vCash
    Obviously not going to games is all we can do. I doubt even sending the owners letters about our displeasure would matter to them. But I just never seen so many people just ok with it. This team currently as is does not win more then 78 games this year.
    And your point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    And your point?
    Point is I am tired of them putting a team on the field that has no chance to win and trying to sell us that it can. Trying to sell us that they found diamonds in the rough like Seratelli and Clark. They do this every year. Guess really its my problem. I have not learned like all the other Met fans to be happy with being a below average team.

vCash
    Point is I am tired of them putting a team on the field that has no chance to win and trying to sell us that it can. Trying to sell us that they found diamonds in the rough like Seratelli and Clark. They do this every year. Guess really its my problem. I have not learned like all the other Met fans to be happy with being a below average team.
    Some of us live in the reality in that rebuilding a team for long-term sustained success takes time. Some of us realize that being dealt the blow of losing Harvey for this year put things on hold for a year. Some of us see the gobs of pitching talent being stockpiled in the minors and know that future success is right around the corner. Some of us just enjoy baseball to enjoy baseball and are not that obsessed with having to win a championship every single season. We'll win someday and it'll be great. I'm not gonna turn red and purple with veins bulging out of my neck until it happens though. I don't see the point. I'm happy with the direction the franchise is heading in, I see a very bright future in the back-half of this decade.

I realize that we are a 78-80 win team this year at best, I can live with that this year.

vCash
    Attendance is down 50% since 2009. Mets fans have spoken. Ranting on the internet won't change anything.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash

They are?
    No they aren't.
    Montero will start in the minors, while I would love to see Montero, I also understand that baseball is a business. If you bring Montero up now you cost the franchise roughly 10 million dollars in their operating cost. Dice K is a stop gap until Monti (assuming he doesn't get traded), Noah and deGrom make their way to the show.

Has the way ownership has handled this team over the past 5 years done such a number on us as fans that we have lowered our expectations so low that we could be told Robin from the local shop rite could be playing 2nd base and we would find a way to be ok with it? WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO US?

Matt Clark is not ok as a backup to Satin at 1st base on this team or any other. Seratelli has been terrible in the spring and is the age he is without a big league job for a reason. And Dice K is well past his prime. We needed to trade for a 1st baseman we did not do so, We need to trade or sign a SS we did not do so. We have two very good young arms in Mejia and Montero who could fill the 5 hole. Mejia proved it last last season and Montero having the best spring of the people who were suppose to be competing for that job and we want Dice K?

COME ON GUYS REALLY? Quit making excuses for this team and the franchise. Say what you want about Yankee fans and believe me I hate the Yankees probably more then most. But they would never stand for this why are we? Because we have been made use to it? What has happen to us?
    No one is making excuses, they understand that this team needs a SS.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Not worried about wins. Worried about the overall health of the organization -- which has improved. Minaya took an organization bereft of talent and turned it around on a dime, but when injuries hit, the organization lacked the depth to recover. Alderson's approach is to build the depth first. Yes, I am okay with that.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Not worried about wins. Worried about the overall health of the organization -- which has improved. Minaya took an organization bereft of talent and turned it around on a dime, but when injuries hit, the organization lacked the depth to recover. Alderson's approach is to build the depth first. Yes, I am okay with that.
    When is ok to start worrying about wins...2015,2016,2017,2018 ....never
    Just wondering

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    Some of us live in the reality in that rebuilding a team for long-term sustained success takes time. Some of us realize that being dealt the blow of losing Harvey for this year put things on hold for a year. Some of us see the gobs of pitching talent being stockpiled in the minors and know that future success is right around the corner. Some of us just enjoy baseball to enjoy baseball and are not that obsessed with having to win a championship every single season. We'll win someday and it'll be great. I'm not gonna turn red and purple with veins bulging out of my neck until it happens though. I don't see the point. I'm happy with the direction the franchise is heading in, I see a very bright future in the back-half of this decade.

I realize that we are a 78-80 win team this year at best, I can live with that this year.
    Yup, Met fans need to get over their obsession with winning a championship every single season. I think you're on the wrong message board.

vCash
    The wins will come when they come. What do you want to do about it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmantrash View Post
    When is ok to start worrying about wins...2015,2016,2017,2018 ....never
    Just wondering
    Reasonably speaking next year they could be an 85+ win team with Harvey, Wheeler, Montero, Syndergaard, all in the rotation for a whole season (and even if not they have depth if one gets injured) and whatever additions they make. They certainly would have been better than .500 barring catastrophic injury this year if Harvey was healthy.

They know 1st and SS are issues, unless Flores can be an everyday SS and hits (the former I don't buy) or Ike/Duda can take over the 1st base job adequately. Puello is also coming sometime this year.

Outside of that, Lagares is their biggest question mark about how he continually develops as a hitter and if he can be a +15-+20 DRS CF. D'Arnaud can provide value even if he isn't an all star bat at the position and Plawecki is not far behind.

It's really dependent on what guys they add though either through trade or FA.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast