Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Safety or Defensive End?

We've needed a safety for years now in Dallas, but Jerry seems to scared of the idea of drafting one early since Roy Williams turned into a bust, and now we pick one in the last rounds to "develop" which never works. Obviously the entire defense needs an upgrade, especially defensive line and safety (don't ever wanna see Heath play another down) but should we take HaHa Clinton Dix in the first round if available or defensive tackle if the kid from Pitt is still not available?

vCash
    Honestly the safety position got exposed as much as it did (along with our entire secondary) because we didn't have a pass rush. A good pass rush makes any secondary better. We need to draft the best DL available in the first 2 rounds in my opinion. Hopefully Donald will be there at 16 and Crichton from Oregon State in the 2nd round. If Donald isn't there at 16 then I would considered moving back into the early 20's and picking up a 3rd rounder and picking someone like Hageman in the first. It is a tough decision because I would love to see someone like Clinton-Dix or Pryor roaming in the secondary for years to come, but the lack of a good defensive line for the cowboys last season showed how important that position actually is. Michael Bennett said it today after he signed with Seattle, he said a good pass rush makes every secondary better.. I strongly believe that, therefore I think DL is the biggest need for the cowboys.

vCash
    Start in FA with a Melton grab, and then add Joseph...if so, then you can really pick BPA in the draft...although, even with Melton and Joseph on board, I still take DL with 2 of the first 3 picks unless something unique happens (like someone ridiculous falls to us)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty0608 View Post
    Honestly the safety position got exposed as much as it did (along with our entire secondary) because we didn't have a pass rush. A good pass rush makes any secondary better. We need to draft the best DL available in the first 2 rounds in my opinion. Hopefully Donald will be there at 16 and Crichton from Oregon State in the 2nd round. If Donald isn't there at 16 then I would considered moving back into the early 20's and picking up a 3rd rounder and picking someone like Hageman in the first. It is a tough decision because I would love to see someone like Clinton-Dix or Pryor roaming in the secondary for years to come, but the lack of a good defensive line for the cowboys last season showed how important that position actually is. Michael Bennett said it today after he signed with Seattle, he said a good pass rush makes every secondary better.. I strongly believe that, therefore I think DL is the biggest need for the cowboys.
    Respectfully disagree. Bennett is a pash rusher of course he said that. Cowboys have thrown money at the pass rush position for years and completely ignored the safety position, we have not been an elite defense since we had consistently good safeties.

vCash
    I would like Ware to take the pay cut and if he don't, I would hold on to him til a lot of teams use there cap money then force the pay cut or release. Right now Jerry is pretty creative in getting cap space so I would try to get Melton and the Safety, then in the draft get another defensive lineman and then a wide out. I really don't want them to over spend because this cap situation is really killing the cowboys every year. I think the best move Jerry could make is getting some of Seattle scouts.

vCash
    Just read on kffl.com that the cowboys are interested in DT Earl Mitchell from the Texans

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcamps31 View Post
    We've needed a safety for years now in Dallas, but Jerry seems to scared of the idea of drafting one early since Roy Williams turned into a bust, and now we pick one in the last rounds to "develop" which never works. Obviously the entire defense needs an upgrade, especially defensive line and safety (don't ever wanna see Heath play another down) but should we take HaHa Clinton Dix in the first round if available or defensive tackle if the kid from Pitt is still not available?
    I wouldn't call Williams a bust. he made a couple probowls, and was fantastic his first couple season.. he just fizzled out at the end....

we need defensive line, no brainer.... a great pass rush alone can almost win you a superbowl.... ( see giants 2007)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ups&Downs View Post
    Respectfully disagree. Bennett is a pash rusher of course he said that. Cowboys have thrown money at the pass rush position for years and completely ignored the safety position, we have not been an elite defense since we had consistently good safeties.
    When we had a good defense our DL was good. Look at Carolina this year. One of the best defenses in the league... how many of the players in their secondary can you name? they had an absolutely dominant DL and their defense was good. Same goes for San Fran. They build in the trenches, yes they have a good secondary, but they focus a lot of their resources on the DL. It's just my opinion, but if your secondary has to cover people for even .5 seconds longer, that frees up receivers and gives the QB a chance to make a play. If you're making the QB uncomfortable throughout the game and putting pressure on him he is much more likely to make mistakes. I wish we could upgrade both, but if i had to choose which one to upgrade first i would go with DL without doubt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ups&Downs View Post
    I have questions about this.. who have the cowboys signed as a pass rusher recently? they have completely ignored that position for a while now. The only person they have pumped money into is ware. The safety position on the other hand has received tons of attention. they have drafted matt johnson, jj wilcox, and that ansah guy a few years back. they also signed brodney pool and will allen. thats a lot of attention. the last 3 drafts they have picked a safety... how many dl have they drafted besides tyrone crawford.. i can't think of any.

vCash
    though not quality attention has been paid to the safety position ^^^ i meant to say. I would love to have a safety though. I agree that safety is a big need, but if those guys have to cover people for 5 seconds a play because we have no pass rush it means nothing. we absolutely have to put all of our attention to the DL and get a pass rush. it will make our secondary much better hands down. plus we spent a 3rd rounder on matt johnson and jj wilcox (just last year) they may not be the best options but can you give up on jj after just one season? i saw some potential.. or would you rather have guys like hayden, crawford, selvie and all of the other guys off of the street rush the passer all season?

vCash
    Hey Fred who is this Joseph ur talking about?
    [/CENTER]

vCash
    Linval Joseph I would assume. Former giants DT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by king james:28120511
    Hey Fred who is this Joseph ur talking about?
    Giants DT Linvall Joseph.

vCash
    Lol sorry didn't refresh app on phone and it never sent.

Poor hatch wish he was five years younger.

vCash
    I understand that we it wouldn't have been a good business, or football decision for that matter, to keep Ware at his cap #, so something had to be done. But at the same time it leaves a big hole at DE. We have to get 1 of these FA's (I'm thinking Lamar Houston of the Raiders) cause there I can't see anyone coming out in the draft that will be as good as him now or in the future.

That being said I think this is good for Ware cause now he can go to a team that has a chance at a championship. He wasn't going to get 1 with us. I am a big Ware fan and will be rooting for him individually unless he goes to the Eagles, Redskins, or Giants.

If these are our DL starters:
    LDE Selvie or Crawford
    1DT Hayden or DaQuan Jones of Penn St. in 2nd or 3rd
    3DT Hatcher, Donald, or Jernigan
    RDE Houston (use draft for depth Jackson Jeffcoat or Demarcus Lawrence)
    I will be ok with loosing Ware.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast