Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Are the Indiana Pacers contenders or pretenders?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Contenders

22 51.16%
  • Pretenders

21 48.84%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Are the Indiana Pacers contenders or pretenders?

They got off to a great start but have stumbled since. I watched some of their games in Nov-Dec and I thought they were gonna just destroy teams in the playoffs and may actually get past Miami and win a title beating some team in the West.

But they have dropped off since. I haven't watched too many Pacers games lately but they looked terrible against the Suns in both games against them and they have struggled against other teams who get out and run/are very good offensively like the Warriors, Rockets, Mavs etc.

Pacers are 2-5 against Western conference playoff teams since the new year, 2014, started. They are just 13-9 overall since January 21st.

Of course Indiana may be one of those teams who does better in the playoffs than how they look now. And they still have the best record in the East so its not time to quite press the panic button. Once playoffs starts, the game slows down and the Pacers seem better in those kind of situations where they can take advantage of their defense.

But the Pacers offense still looks disastrous. Did they run out of energy after their hot start? What do you think? Are they contenders or pretenders?

vCash
    The team hasn't looked the same for about a month or two. They most definitely struggle with teams who like to run and shoot threes. Luckily, the game usually slows down come playoff time which obviously fits the Pacers' style.

I'll admit I'm a little concerned, but I think it is a slump and they should get over it. I would like to think that some of their recent struggles has to do with integrating new guys and things like that. We still have to bring Bynum into the rotation. I think it will take a bit for the whole team to gel.

That doesn't excuse their play lately of course, they don't seem to really care until it's too late some games. They have let -.500 teams hang with them and didn't seem to take many games seriously and it has caught up to them. I would like to wait and see what they look like come playoff time when the new pieces should have had plenty of time to gel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PacersForLife View Post
    The team hasn't looked the same for about a month or two. They most definitely struggle with teams who like to run and shoot threes. Luckily, the game usually slows down come playoff time which obviously fits the Pacers' style.

I'll admit I'm a little concerned, but I think it is a slump and they should get over it. I would like to think that some of their recent struggles has to do with integrating new guys and things like that. We still have to bring Bynum into the rotation. I think it will take a bit for the whole team to gel.

That doesn't excuse their play lately of course, they don't seem to really care until it's too late some games. They have let -.500 teams hang with them and didn't seem to take many games seriously and it has caught up to them. I would like to wait and see what they look like come playoff time when the new pieces should have had plenty of time to gel.
    Do you really think Bynum will do more good than harm though? He's known to mess up team chemistry. Everywhere he's been in the past 3 years, that team's sucked. Lakers sucked his last season there (by LAL standards), 76ers sucked his whole time there and Cavs sucked his whole time there.

Seems like he can mess up team chemistry even without playing and just being part of the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    Do you really think Bynum will do more good than harm though? He's known to mess up team chemistry. Everywhere he's been in the past 3 years, that team's sucked. Lakers sucked his last season there (by LAL standards), 76ers sucked his whole time there and Cavs sucked his whole time there.

Seems like he can mess up team chemistry even without playing and just being part of the team.
    Well from what it sounds like, Bynum seems to be a bit misunderstood in some ways. The rest of the team has had nothing but positive things to say about him. Sounds like he keeps to himself and does his workout and wants to prove the doubters wrong. Who knows how much of that is true and nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes except for coaches, teammates, etc.

I really don't think this has anything to do whatsoever with Bynum and his reputation. He doesn't even travel with the team and the two blowouts have happened on the road.
    Last edited by PacersForLife; 03-08-2014 at 03:37 AM.

vCash
    Their problem has been offensive deficiency but right now their biggest problem is the poor play of PG. He hasn't been the same player he was before the all star game. To score 2 points against a Mediocre bobcat team and then 13 a game later doesn't spell superstar. He is starting to look a bit overrated. A superstar can struggle but not to the point of being virtually a non factor in a game. Lebron, KD, Kobe never had such horrible games when they struggled. The whole team as a whole is not very good offensively anyways and that is going to be their down fall come playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kobebabe View Post
    Their problem has been offensive deficiency but right now their biggest problem is the poor play of PG. He hasn't been the same player he was before the all star game. To score 2 points against a Mediocre bobcat team and then 13 a game later doesn't spell superstar. He is starting to look a bit overrated. A superstar can struggle but not to the point of being virtually a non factor in a game. Lebron, KD, Kobe never had such horrible games when they struggled. The whole team as a whole is not very good offensively anyways and that is going to be their down fall come playoffs.
    The team has guys who can score, it just seems like the offensive system may be the flaw of this team. Vogel is a great defensive coach, but the offense is very questionable at times. You see how guys like DJ Augustin and Gerald Green have seemed to thrive in new situations after not doing much at all here and it kinda makes you wonder.
    Last edited by PacersForLife; 03-08-2014 at 04:15 AM.

vCash
    Favorites
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions:
    Yards:
    Tds:

vCash
    Contenders in the East, but people are hoping a bit too much that they knock of the Heat and they're starting to think its a certainty. Not happening.

vCash
    They could and may very well still knock off the Heat (looking less likely now, but this is a stacked team with great D), I've seen them play far better than their current product. That said, I think the West take the ship this season regardless of who comes out of the East.

vCash
    I still think they can. There just going through a rough patch. They have the rest of the season to sought themselves out.

vCash
    Oh come on. George has been in a funk as of late and its rough part of the season. They have too much talent and heart to not be contenders. Hell they might still be the favorites. I mean other than lebrons 61 point game, the heat havent looked championship worthy either, but im not counting them out.

vCash
    Fatigue is the issue it has happened to many championship teams.

vCash
    The Pacers are having a rough stretch right now.

It happens to every team. It's mostly the timing that's hurting them the most. You can have a rough stretch against bad teams and still put up Wins. Do it against an upper echelon team and you're going to get your butt handed to you.

Sure, the Pacers are 0-3 in the last 3 games, but 2 of those losses were against GSW and the Rockets -- two teams that are in the 3-5 seed race in the West and you can actually see potentially in the WCF if the chips land right. It doesn't matter if you're the Pacers, Miami, OKC or the Spurs... if you're slumping when those two teams are playing well, they'll run you out of the gym.

And the Bobcats? File that under the occasional bad game. You don't get worked up over a 40+ win season with 20+ games to go just because you lost 3 in a row.

The Rockets have the best record since Jan 1., but during that stretch they had games where they looked sloppy, lackadaisical, had losses of focus, etc. The difference is it was mostly in the parts of their schedule that was far from their toughest.

Compare this with their current schedule...

03/04 vsMiami (win)
    03/05 @Magic (win)
    03/07 vsIndiana (win)
    03/09 vsPortland
    03/11 @OKC
    03/13 @Chicago
    03/16 @MIami

If Houston was slumping, they could very easily be 1-2 instead of 3-0 during this stretch. Just a case of the team gelling and playing well at the part of the schedule that they need it the most.

As for the Pacers, they need to find their mojo soon. You really don't want to lose your groove in the home stretch to the play offs... that's the way to find your way to couch after the 1st/2nd round.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    They are basically a lock to make the ECF and will only be 4 wins away from the finals. I am going to go out on a limb and call that a contender.
    Last edited by KnicksorBust; 03-08-2014 at 07:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    They are basically a lock to make the ECF and will only be 4 wins away from the finals. I am going to go out on a limb and call that a contender.
    Yeah they have no true competition over there besides the Heat and maybe the Bulls.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast