Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Official 2014 Draft thread - Canucks unintentional tank year

We can look forward to the 2014 draft, but as with trades, I'm a bit concerned with management's drafting history.

Right now we're sitting 9th and projected by many to pick Nicholaj Ehlers. tbh I think he's climbing the draft board too fast.

Nikolaj Ehlers's Player Profile

Imported from Denmark, Ehlers has replaced the scoring void quite nicely after Nathan MacKinnon made the leap to the Colorado Avalanche. Like his predecessor in Halifax, Ehlers is one of the fastest skaters in the draft, blazing past defenders and utilizing his dynamic elusive cuts in and out of traffic to create room. The depth of intelligence Ehlers possesses for the game allows him to adopt both a shooter and playmakerís mentality. Rising up draft boards quickly.
    Profile from: Brendan Ross of Dobber Prospects - Feb. 16th

I'll give you one thing, Nikolaj Ehlers was a dark horse coming into this draft, slotted to be a second round choice at the beginning of this season. Now he's gaining serious consideration, and a likelihood, of getting picked in the top ten of this year's 2014 NHL Entry Draft. The correct pronunciation of this offensive dynamo's name is ("Nick-oh-LIE" "EEL-hers"). He hails from Denmark and played in the Swiss Men's League in Biel posting strong numbers like 12 points in 2 games and 8 points in 2 games at the age of 14. He is by far the fastest player in the draft, and faster than almost all of the players in last year's draft, which sets him apart by a huge margin. He's had his speed compared to that of Pavel Bure and his style of offensive play compared to Peter Forsberg - something which scouts may well use to further back their opinions of Ehlers as being one of the most dynamic players in this year's draft. He has voiced his want and need to gain size, particularly to about 185-190lbs, so he knows exactly what he needs to work on, where his goals lie, and how he will get there. He has an absolute laser of a wrist shot; an accurate rocket that he snaps off at top speed. He plays for the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL. He's 5'11 and about 175 lbs so the same size of William Nylander. The thing that is going to make him a special player in the future is that he's a leader. He played with the Dallas Stars' Tyler Seguin and the Chicago Blackhawks Patrick Kane during the NHL lockout, and learned amazing english and a very unselfish style of play from them during that time. He sees the ice with an uncanny eye and makes plays for the team, not himself. If there is a tiny slit in the defense, he's already slid through it and scored on the goalie before you can blink. He works the hardest out of most of the players on the team, first to get to training last to leave. Vancouver Canucks fans have already dubbed him "The Electric Ehl" due to his electrifying, explosive style of play.

Comparable Players:

Markus Naslund (Skill)
    Pavel Bure (Speed)
    Peter Forsberg (Seeing the ice)

Mix (Nathan MacKinnon/Jonathan Drouin)

Patrick Kane (Style of play)

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014/NHL-D...Nikolaj-Ehlers

vCash

Official 2014 Draft thread - Canucks unintentional tank year

Are we tanking?

vCash
    Yeah I don't like fast risers tbh. Too much risk, unless they really show something special on tape. But Ehls might be one of those guys, he looks incredible on tape, and even if he is a "boom or bust" guy its a big boom on a team that has none right now.

Here is the ISS top 30 - http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

vCash
    William Nylander is the most talented guy in this draft in my eyes. If Kesler is dealt, i would target ANA for their 1st round pick they got from Ottawa (top-15 ish)+ other pieces too. Package those two and move into the top-5. Pick Nylander. He's my pick if i had a top-5 pick. He's Swedish and the only guy i would call "elite" offensively in this draft and a sure-first 1st line guy imo.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    "William exudes confidence when he plays. Exceptional poise with the puck and is always looking to make threatening plays in the offensive zone. Excellent skater who is very difficult to check because of his agility and because he is always changing pace. Can make pinpoint passes in traffic and if you are his line mate, best be ready, as he will provide opportunities. Top line type player."
    Profile from: TSNs Director of Scouting Craig Button - Sept. 18th
    http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014/NHL-D...lliam-Nylander

They have him going 7th currently, and we realistically could be picking 6 or 7, that would be awesome

vCash
    William would be a great pickup at 7. I personally think he's a top-3 pick this year so getting him later would be a win for any team.

Another player i had my eye on is Adrian Kempe, he's my personal favourite for Leafs pick if we stay in the 17-20 range. Another Swede that kinda plays/looks like Jvr. Big C, that has a pretty good stride and high talent level. Might not be a sure fire 1st line offensive talent but i see him being a pretty good 2nd liner. Since Vancouver is basically team Sweden, he's another guy that could be on your radar. He would be an awesome pickup anytime after the 5th pick imo.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    William would be a great pickup at 7. I personally think he's a top-3 pick this year so getting him later would be a win for any team.

Another player i had my eye on is Adrian Kempe, he's my personal favourite for Leafs pick if we stay in the 17-20 range. Another Swede that kinda plays/looks like Jvr. Big C, that has a pretty good stride and high talent level. Might not be a sure fire 1st line offensive talent but i see him being a pretty good 2nd liner. Since Vancouver is basically team Sweden, he's another guy that could be on your radar. He would be an awesome pickup anytime after the 5th pick imo.
    You nailed it with the idea that this us Team Sweden. Personally I don't mind that but it seems like the org wants to move toward a more traditional playoff approach with grit and power, I.e. more of a North American roster. Thoughts?

vCash

You nailed it with the idea that this is Team Sweden. Personally I don't mind that but it seems like the org wants to move toward a more traditional playoff approach with grit and power, I.e. more of a North American roster. Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    You nailed it with the idea that this us Team Sweden. Personally I don't mind that but it seems like the org wants to move toward a more traditional playoff approach with grit and power, I.e. more of a North American roster. Thoughts?
    I don't really mind where a guy comes from as long as they can play. I have no issue with the Leafs picking Russians, for example. However if a guy is Swedish that is a plus for me. I don't know what's in their DNA but those Swedes heal faster than normal. As a Leaf fan, we saw it with Sundin+Gunnarsson and i see it in Ottawa with Karlsson. That's the only thing i pay attention to other than a player being from Ontario. I would just like to see more Ontario guys with the Leafs, not because their better though.

Leafs started going in a more North American direction and it seems to work out. So there's that. I think Vancouver would be given an added bonus if they took Swedish players in the draft. They probably look up to the Sedins, and i'm sure it would be an honour for guys like Kempe+Nylander to play for the Canucks. Plus the Sedins could mentor them like Alfie did for Karlsson a few years ago.

vCash
    Sorry, I can't listen to draft talk when I have ZERO hope for this squad. The only CPR that works on me is for Gillis to be run out of town and Torts shown the door.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandgreen View Post
    Sorry, I can't listen to draft talk when I have ZERO hope for this squad. The only CPR that works on me is for Gillis to be run out of town and Torts shown the door.
    I hear you but if we are free falling, the draft becomes an unintended source of talent.

My wish would be for Gillis to be fired ASAP so a new GM could prepare properly for this draft. We may wind up with a great pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I don't really mind where a guy comes from as long as they can play. I have no issue with the Leafs picking Russians, for example. However if a guy is Swedish that is a plus for me. I don't know what's in their DNA but those Swedes heal faster than normal. As a Leaf fan, we saw it with Sundin+Gunnarsson and i see it in Ottawa with Karlsson. That's the only thing i pay attention to other than a player being from Ontario. I would just like to see more Ontario guys with the Leafs, not because their better though.

Leafs started going in a more North American direction and it seems to work out. So there's that. I think Vancouver would be given an added bonus if they took Swedish players in the draft. They probably look up to the Sedins, and i'm sure it would be an honour for guys like Kempe+Nylander to play for the Canucks. Plus the Sedins could mentor them like Alfie did for Karlsson a few years ago.
    I actually have a bias toward local Canadian and euro players like you. I'm just saying that our org is so ****ed up right now they have swung wildly over to Kassian type thugs. You don't find a lot of Swedish goons!

vCash
    I'd trade our first for a new GM and coach!

vCash
    Jared McCann, Jake Virtanen, Ivan Barbashev, Nicholas Ritchie, Kasperi Kapanen, William Nylander. Guys that might be there when Vancouver picks.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.